As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car stereo system. Zune HD. Certain programs can't access internet. (all unrelated)

billwillbillwill Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
First. I have a 1994 BMW 525i. I got it about four months ago. Runs perfectly. The only flaw, however, is the stereo system. Some of the speakers are blown, and the cassette player doesn't work. I now have some surplus money, so I would like to upgrade. How much should I be looking to spend, total (including install)? I don't need the best, but something on the upper-midrange would be great (bass is important to me). I've been looking at stereos, speakers, and amps, but I don't understand a lot of it. What does it mean for a car stereo to say 4 x 52? I'm assuming that's 52 watts for four speakers? Is that good, or should I look for higher wattage?

Second. I've been considering getting a Zune HD for a while now. However, it seems like it has been out for a while. Is an update right around the corner? Has anything been announced? I looked but I couldn't find anything. Also, I've bought a lot of TV shows on Xbox Live over the past few years. It's now stored under "Zune" on my Xbox 360. Does that mean I can watch the shows on a Zune as well? Is it shared?

Third. My friend's computer was recently attacked by a shitload of viruses. He got rid of it by ordering Norton, but now there seems to be a new problem. Certain programs won't access the internet. Firefox can, IE or Chrome can't. AIM can, Windows Live can't. Steam can, Zune can't. Any possible solutions?

Thanks!

I hate you and you hate me.
billwill on

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Personally I'd stay away from running deck power if possible. I've never had a deck that put out enough power to make just about any speakers sound good.

First, find out what you need in a deck. Bluetooth, how many preouts if you do decide to run your speakers with an amp, ipod ready, sat radio ready, etc.

From there, find out what size speakers will fit in each stock location. You can probably find forums dedicated to your car where people have upgraded their stereo and documented it thoroughly. If you have the option to install components, either because you have a stock location to install them to or you don't mind if your car doesn't look 100% stock, I've always heard they sound better in general.

You can run some speakers from deck power, but they'll generally be pretty much comparable to the stock stuff. Running an amp to a mid range set of speakers will sound a lot better and go much louder. You can also run your rear pair from deck power, the fronts amped and have a sub for your bass with a 4 channel amp, which'll be a little less expensive than amping both pairs of speakers and the sub.

For cost, if you decide to amp all speakers I'd estimate 2000 installed (in CAD) but prices might be alot more reasonable in the states if that's where you live.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Zune HD is probably due for an upgrade, but it's quite possible that Microsoft won't bother until well after Windows Phone 7 has launched. They won't make any announcements until they have something ready to sell. Not definitively sure on the video question, I haven't bought any video content through the XBL store so I couldn't say.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As far as the Zune HD goes, I haven't heard of any updates coming. But like dehumanized said, Windows Phone 7 is coming out and I don't expect anything for the Zune at least until those phones are up and running. I will say, I LOVE mine. The interface is wonderful, and I'd love to be able to get my hands on one.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For your friend's computer, I'd say nuke it and start over. Then install a good Antivirus program, Microsoft Security Essentials. Chances are Norton didn't get everything, and it may have gotten worse.

Arrath on