As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel vs Capcom 3 - Fate of Two Worlds - Hopping removed due to infinite on Thor.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Just so we can cut through all the jabber:

If someone bought the original release of SFIV but not the expansion, could he still play online?

If yes, the characters are optional.

SF4 and SSF4 are two different games online wise.

Well, there we go. Optional.

That's not optional that's a sequel not being compatible with the original

That you aren't forced to buy in order to keep playing it (the original game) online. So, optional.

I have no idea what you even mean at this point. They are for all intents and purposes two separate games. They don't have any effect on each other online or off so it being optional in relation to SS4 doesn't apply or make sense.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

If someone bought the original release of SFIV but not the expansion, could he still play online?

That you aren't forced to buy in order to keep playing it (the original game) online. So, optional.

I have no idea what you even mean at this point. They are for all intents and purposes two separate games. They don't have any effect on each other online or off so it being optional in relation to SS4 doesn't apply or make sense.

I'm with you, that was just my attempt to understand whatever it was Banshee was jabbering about.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I'm with you, that was just my attempt to understand whatever it was Banshee was jabbering about.

Ah This has been a confusing conversation.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

He was jabbering about having balance thrown out by characters to whom users have uneven access. If you own SF4, everyone has access to the same characters. In SSF4, everyone has access to the same characters. In Soul Calibur, only people who pay for the extra character gets to use them.

Since Yoda and Vader suck so much, it doesn't impact balance, but imagine if you had to pay to use Sagat, Ryu or Chun-Li. No bueno.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    templewulf wrote: »

He was jabbering about having balance thrown out by characters to whom users have uneven access. If you own SF4, everyone has access to the same characters. In SSF4, everyone has access to the same characters. In Soul Calibur, only people who pay for the extra character gets to use them.

Since Yoda and Vader suck so much, it doesn't impact balance, but imagine if you had to pay to use Sagat, Ryu or Chun-Li. No bueno.

Well that would never happen. DLC would be for fan favorites that didn;'t make the intial cut or weren't finished in time

Here's what would happen most likely

The DLC comes out simultaneously with a Patch. Even if you don't buy them you can play against them.

If the DLC characters have an unfair advantage in any way they'll be patched accordingly.

Balance is an issue for tournaments and each individual organizer will decide what is and isn't allowed anyway so the whole point is moot

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Well that would never happen. DLC would be for fan favorites that didn;'t make the intial cut or weren't finished in time

The DLC comes out simultaneously with a Patch. Even if you don't buy them you can play against them.

If the DLC characters have an unfair advantage in any way they'll be patched accordingly.

Balance is an issue for tournaments and each individual organizer will decide what is and isn't allowed anyway so the whole point is moot

As I said before, the only thing keeping extra characters out of tourney play is console exclusivity. This has come up multiple times in the Soulcalibur series, and that's just how it works. In Soulcalibur 2 Link, Spawn, and Heihachi were all banned outright for being console exclusive characters, even though Heihachi was the PS2 character and PS2 was the tournament standard. The games were otherwise identical (minus a few framerate chugs on the PS2), so it was possible for a person who owned the game on any system to practice, except against the other console exclusive characters.

In Soulcalbiur 4 Vader and Yoda were both banned initially, for the same reasons as above, until they were released as DLC, making them available to all players. They then became legal.

For the record, Yoda is a pretty bad character who is useful for counterpicking against a few really good characters, while Vader is actually upper-mid tier at worst, probably a solid high tier. He may look slow, but he's really safe, has one of the best steps in the game, and can ring out from anywhere.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »

As I said before, the only thing keeping extra characters out of tourney play is console exclusivity. This has come up multiple times in the Soulcalibur series, and that's just how it works. In Soulcalibur 2 Link, Spawn, and Heihachi were all banned outright for being console exclusive characters, even though Heihachi was the PS2 character and PS2 was the tournament standard. The games were otherwise identical (minus a few framerate chugs on the PS2), so it was possible for a person who owned the game on any system to practice, except against the other console exclusive characters.

In Soulcalbiur 4 Vader and Yoda were both banned initially, for the same reasons as above, until they were released as DLC, making them available to all players. They then became legal.

For the record, Yoda is a pretty bad character who is useful for counterpicking against a few really good characters, while Vader is actually upper-mid tier at worst, probably a solid high tier. He may look slow, but he's really safe, has one of the best steps in the game, and can ring out from anywhere.

Yoda is who you pick when you want to shit on the party. I wouldn't place Vader so high, but that's for a different thread.

As for the whole DLC thing, I certainly wouldn't want to have to fight against characters that I couldn't pick to research them. but it sounds like I'm on the losing end of this one.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It gets muddy if you want to start screwing with dlc.

For example, if I have a patched copy of the game and you don't then I've got an obvious advantage because tourneys will be running the patched copy. You could go online and download the patch, but what if you don't have an internet connection or, have a really stringent firewall, or can't get online for some other reason?

As long as every player has reasonable access to the characters, then dlc would be allowed.

Also, my Vader tier placement is not theory. I know the best Vader player in the world. He's a good character.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    It gets muddy if you want to start screwing with dlc.

For example, if I have a patched copy of the game and you don't then I've got an obvious advantage because tourneys will be running the patched copy. You could go online and download the patch, but what if you don't have an internet connection or, have a really stringent firewall, or can't get online for some other reason?

As long as every player has reasonable access to the characters, then dlc would be allowed.

Also, my Vader tier placement is not theory. I know the best Vader player in the world. He's a good character.

Again, this isn't the thread for that discussion, but you're skirting into the very definition of outlier.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Pretty sure I don't know what you mean by that, but yes, this isn't the thread for that.

There is no thread for that, anymore. :/

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game is really fun, really fun. I got to play a couple rounds at Comic Con.

I had no idea what I was doing, but Doctor Goddamn Doom was stomping people with lazers, electricity, and I am pretty sure magic and it was fucking boss.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    notsoynotsoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thread necro. Doom demands it!

Any further word on new characters/game mechanics?

notsoy on
    Soul Silver FC: 1978 3200 2285
    GT: HitoriLionheart or dailydro
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't think so.

I wouldn't expect any until the next big convention.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nope. Comic Con wasn't exactly all that long ago :P .

Here's a quick info run down from SDCC though, courtesy of Event Hubs:

• Capcom is thinking about doing a demo for MvC3, but they're not sure what form it would take at this point.

• Seth Killian said the whole cast is almost finalized at this point, but there could be a switch or two.

• It was stated again that the Fantastic Four will not be playable characters.

• Balance issues will not plague Marvel vs. Capcom 3, like they did MvC2.

• Every character in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will have their own ending in story mode. These endings will feature other characters from the Marvel and Capcom franchises — even people that aren't playable like Ghost Rider and Man-Thing.

• Amaterasu can change her weapon to alter her attacks depending on what she wants to do. She also has a Hyper move that slows down time and makes it possible to land some combos that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

• Felicia currently has the smallest hitbox in the game, even smaller than Amaterasu, so she can walk under certain Hyper moves and attacks.

• Chun-Li has low stamina right now, but her Lightning Legs are great and she has an outstanding rush down game.

• Character themes will be returning. There will be new songs and updated old favorites in the game. Music has a very techno/dance feel to it so far. Some character themes are recycled from older Marvel and Street Fighter games.

• Depending on the characters you choose, they'll say different things to each other — basically, there is team recognition. If you pick a squad made up of The Avengers, there's specific dialogue related to that.

• Seth said it's too early to say for sure if alternative costumes will be in MvC3, but he thought it was a good idea. [Editor's note: Coupled with other statements previously made, this more than likely means they'll be in the game.]

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I didn't know they were thinking about doing a demo. If it's anything like the MvC2 and HDR demos I wont even bother downloading it though.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, those demos were a little silly.

I don't see why we couldn't just play vs the CPU. Even if it was limited to the easiest setting possible.

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So Dante has like 20 some odd fucking moves :lol: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPGxNXVvAZQ

The last thing said in the video is "Now those are his ground moves..."

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Event Hubs wrote:
    They know that already, this far out?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Event Hubs wrote:
    They know that already, this far out?

Perhaps they mean that is their ultimate goal

At least this time they'll have a better shot at balancing things from the get-go, since MvC2 was 90% copy-pasting characters from previous games - part of why Magneto and Storm were so retarded, since they hailed from the ultra-broken XvSF

Dante looks very comprehensive, full of competitive potential, and absolutely amazing. It's very heartening to see Capcom do their biggest, baddest dude major justice. Too bad he seems to take hits like a bitch, but that's in line with DMC gameplay anyway, so yeah

notsoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    He should be able to activate Dante Must Die mode as a lvl 3 super.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Still waiting for Mega Man and Proto Man... << And I hope they change their mind about Pheonix Wright... that would be awesome.

Gigazombie Cybermage on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    With 3D models, balancing the characters, both before release with testing and after release with patches, should literally be infinitely easier than in MvC2. And by infinitely easier, I mean actually possible. I would imagine altering hit timing and model animation to a far simpler matter than having to completely re-draw and re-test massive slews of hand-drawn sprites.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Still waiting for Mega Man and Proto Man... << And I hope they change their mind about Pheonix Wright... that would be awesome.

Pheonix Wright would fit better in Smash Bros than in MvC

Godfather on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Phoenix would probably play like Captain Commando. Summoning a plethora of backups.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They should release a demo on PSN/360 that will can play until the game is released.

And update it every time a new character is revealed.

>_>, I can hope.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Would it be more fun or annoying if people were to post their own ideal list of fighters (assuming the 30 fighter estimate?) I'd assume they'd go in spoiler tags, since the thread would potentially just be a big line of lists otherwise.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    A big line of lists that incites fights as people insult each others' tastes, more like

I can already see the barrage of obscure and trash-bin characters, from Marvel and Capcom alike, that would ensue once people start posting lists

notsoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »

Wasn't the "everything dies in one hit" difficulty Heaven or Hell?

notsoy on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So Dante has like 20 some odd fucking moves :lol: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPGxNXVvAZQ

The last thing said in the video is "Now those are his ground moves..."

So dante has power geyser?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    SabreMau on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    notsoy wrote: »
    blaze_zero wrote: »

Wasn't the "everything dies in one hit" difficulty Heaven or Hell?

In Heaven or Hell, both yourself and all enemies die in one hit. In Hell or Hell, you die in one hit, but the enemies don't.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Liberty WingsLiberty Wings Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm so getting this game.

But anyone else think that Chris from RE5 looks a bit out of place?

Liberty Wings on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/jul/29/silver-surfer-marvel-vs-capcom-3/
    • Niitsuma runs through the playable Fantastic Four cast of Doctor Doom, Super-Skrull, and now Silver Surfer, who will be shown off later this month. There are no screens of Silver Surfer yet, just a little portrait along with the other two fighters from that series.

• Silver Surfer is very quick and has a unique playstyle. He never stands on the ground, instead he's always hovering on his board, and he's recommended for advanced players. Doctor Doom was suggested as a good place to start for Fantastic Four fans who are new to the Vs. series.

• They've added more attacks from the Invisible Woman to Super-Skrull since the last public build.

• Also, Niitsuma mentioned that the Fantastic Four play a major role within the basic plotline of arcade mode, and that the final boss should be familiar to fans of that series.

So Galactus as the Big Bad?

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Would it be more fun or annoying if people were to post their own ideal list of fighters (assuming the 30 fighter estimate?) I'd assume they'd go in spoiler tags, since the thread would potentially just be a big line of lists otherwise.

Do not do this. I will punch you out of the thread.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Skab wrote: »
    • Niitsuma runs through the playable Fantastic Four cast of Doctor Doom, Super-Skrull, and now Silver Surfer, who will be shown off later this month. There are no screens of Silver Surfer yet, just a little portrait along with the other two fighters from that series.

• Silver Surfer is very quick and has a unique playstyle. He never stands on the ground, instead he's always hovering on his board, and he's recommended for advanced players. Doctor Doom was suggested as a good place to start for Fantastic Four fans who are new to the Vs. series.

• They've added more attacks from the Invisible Woman to Super-Skrull since the last public build.

• Also, Niitsuma mentioned that the Fantastic Four play a major role within the basic plotline of arcade mode, and that the final boss should be familiar to fans of that series.

No, I'm thinking it'll be Dormammu. He is very clearly shown towards the end of this trailer

Peewi on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

No, I'm thinking it'll be Dormammu. He is very clearly shown towards the end of this trailer

But he isn't really connected to the FF. Dorm is also seen as one of the silhouettes, which more likely than not means he's playable, not the end boss.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Doom has been confirmed playable.

And that initial, boring as hell leaked list has been totally disproved now, which opens the door up again for anyone. Super excited again for the next reveal.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But he isn't really connected to the FF. Dorm is also seen as one of the silhouettes, which more likely than not means he's playable, not the end boss.

There's no reason the boss character couldn't be playable too. I'm pretty sure Seth in SF4 has more health when you fight him in arcade mode than he does when being player controlled.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They could bring back the subboss/endboss mix they had in CotA, MSH, and MSHvSF.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Doom has been confirmed playable.

And that initial, boring as hell leaked list has been totally disproved now, which opens the door up again for anyone. Super excited again for the next reveal.

I really wish they'd do something along the lines of the Smash Bros Dojo, with character reveals and stuff like that.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky