As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No, the developers thought about that and most of the retro bosses have really good non magic multitargets and disruptive wave, which will cancel the bounce back spells, meaning the paladin will die every turn.

Now if your strategy revolves around the paladin dying and coming back every turn you can slow burn all the bosses.

Shield Scroll on the tank is still recommended just for the chance of turning one insta gib into a wasted boss turn.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The person with the shield scroll is usually the paladin who is using Forbearance so they'll have plenty of HP and defense and every buff focused on them.

So it turns out he can't crit anyone because all crits are blocked, and then he fails to kill the only character he damages.

Of course that's the cheap way of doing it.

The problem is that he can put out way more than 999 damage per round without critting. I don't think Forbearance is viable. In this case you really want the shield scroll on your healer, because if you fall behind on healing you're screwed.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, I missed how high of a level he was.

Well I'm glad that they make people start having to think creatively again!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have killed 999 Metal King Slimes.

I wonder if I get an accolade for killing 1000.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hunting Metal King Slimes just now, finish a battle and...

Enzo manages to steal a lump of orichalcum!

ohmy.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I have killed 999 Metal King Slimes.

I wonder if I get an accolade for killing 1000.

HA!

There's no accolade for killing 1000... because the kill counter caps at 999. :P

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Huh. I just found a grotto map in which B14 has no monsters. It's just...empty.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    whistle

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    whistle

"Billmaan whistles.
    But nothing happens."

Billmaan on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »
    whistle

"Billmaan whistles.
    But nothing happens."

Weird.

On a more awesome note, I just got a really great Metal King Slime map. It's no Masayuki by a long shot -- still other types of baddies spawning there -- but the MKS's appear super regularly and there's plenty of open space to run around in while I wait for them to show up. I'm pretty stoked... time to grind out some levels.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a title given out if you take a long time to beat the main story? And... how long is it if so?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There is, and I think it's 150 hours? Maybe 100. However I'm not sure how end-game titles decide what gets priority. Like I think I met the requirement for Exterminator (Over 70% of the monster list isn't it? I had 71%), but I actually got the title for beating the game with over 50 titles. So how the game chose what I got is a mystery to me.

Gilder on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »
    whistle

"Billmaan whistles.
    But nothing happens."

Weird.

Just like there's a chance for a floor to spawn nothing but MKS's (or any monster really), there's also a chance for a floor to not spawn any monster. It's not really weird, it just happens once in a while.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Beat the story. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Gonna take a break from it for a couple of days and then go back to do all the extra quests and treasure map grinding.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey hey, for those of you going to the Toronto Fan Expo, Ninty will be giving out a special map at their booth. They haven't said which map, just that it's a "Special Event Map".

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey hey, for those of you going to the Toronto Fan Expo, Ninty will be giving out a special map at their booth. They haven't said which map, just that it's a "Special Event Map".

Definitely will be bringing the DS to that on Saturday then, along with the "DQIX in tag mode: ON!" sign.

I've been co-oping with a friend over the weekend and we beat a level 47 map I got from a random at the Gamestop tag event. He got a level 54 map and I got 36. Boo.

So we played his 54 map and when we beat it, he got a 65 map, and I got a 38.

Am I just really unlucky? I know I read that the maps were based on your highest leveled character and number of revocations. My friend hasn't beat the game yet, but he has a level 50 job on his MC and my highest is 47 - wouldn't think the 3 level difference would be against me so badly.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I think you basically need revocations to get higher than a level 60ish map. I didn't get anything higher at all until I got one under my belt, and I was level 99 at the time. The maps don't correlate with your actual level too well.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I still haven't revocated my MC, and I'm occasionally picking up level 90+ maps already. So it is possible.

Darian on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    I still haven't revocated my MC, and I'm occasionally picking up level 90+ maps already. So it is possible.

What is your highest leveled character? I think the RNG is just against me getting anything higher than a 40 naturally, or at least until I beef up my characters some more.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I parked my MC at level 99 (ranger); basically, I leveled her all the way up as a ranger while I was still bringing everyone else up to 42 in every class. She was getting as much xp as everyone else put together at times.

But until I found my first map with MKS (a level 62 map), her level was probably in the 50s, 60s at the most. Just keep grinding your best map - there is a chance to get up to 20% higher (or lower) on the quality roll each time.

Darian on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah, Alchaid. Finally, my chance to pick up orichalcum, saint's ashes, reckless necklaces, and cheap chrono...oh wait no.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    Ah, Alchaid. Finally, my chance to pick up orichalcum, saint's ashes, reckless necklaces, and cheap chrono...oh wait no.

Ashes: 8 mini-medals (also Geenie Sanguinis)
    Orichalcum: 15 mini-medals (also random drop from MKS, as Sporky learned)

Chronocrystlas: uh... 5 Gem Slimes? :P

Found and beat Grotto Boss #12 last night (it helps when I can full-combo Dragon Slash...). Interesting that he doesn't drop another grotto map, but it's not like I was going to do much better than "Gold Nest of Evil Lv 97" anyway. Still no sign of #11, but Excalipurr has been a giant wuss in my two encounters with him, and the others are getting rolled just as easily. I think I actually killed Equinox in a single round the last time I faced him.

Currently in the middle of my first Diamond map, which hasn't been too difficult so far due to the fact that my high-50s/low-60s team (MC on 6th revocation as Gladiator with Minstrel parked at 99) can almost one-round all of the mobs by using Disco Stew, Multithrust, and Shining Shot (MC either just swings or uses Axes of Evil depending on the mob in question). I'm sure that will change soon enough...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Got this a few days ago. I am up to the part where
    you go back to the Observatory on that train and are tasked with tracking down the seven dragonballs.
    How far through the story is that?

I'm enjoying it a lot. Never played a DQ game before. Can't help feeling like I'm missing a lot of stuff though and never really know what I'm doing.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You're just starting the main quest.

Darian on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really? I wasn't expecting it to be that long a game. That's pretty cool!

Just been reading back a few pages in this thread and yeah, I really don't know what I'm doing. Most of these posts may as well be in a different language.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Don't worry too much about the thread for now; just enjoy the game. You'll get the ability to class-change soon. :)

Darian on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    smof wrote: »
    Really? I wasn't expecting it to be that long a game. That's pretty cool!

Just been reading back a few pages in this thread and yeah, I really don't know what I'm doing. Most of these posts may as well be in a different language.

One thing to remember is that almost everyone here has beaten the game, so they are posting and discussing the post-game play, where you spend a lot of time maxing out characters and running difficult grottos for loot and XP. I wouldn't worry too much about the DQ'ese you see people speaking, it will become more clear as you play through the main quest and in to the post-game.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got a quest to sleep a shrubbery near the school, then kill it with envenom. What class gets sleep?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Priests.

edit: And armamentalists.

Darian on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I got a quest to sleep a shrubbery near the school, then kill it with envenom. What class gets sleep?

I think Priests get Snooze.

So beat'd.

Hey Darian, you seem to have invested quite a lot of time in DQ9. Have you ever dumped so many hours in other DQs?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think I'm about double in DQ IX compared to my previous highest for a DQ (VII). So much easier to play a handheld game while watching TV or other stuff.

Darian on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I'm about double in DQ IX compared to my previous highest for a DQ (VII). So much easier to play a handheld game while watching TV or other stuff.

And this is why I'm putting so many hours in to DQ9. When I first got it, I had no plans to do any of the post-game, or max any characters. With it being handheld, it's so easy to pick up and play 15 minutes here, 20 minutes there, that I am now getting really in to the post game and maxing out some characters, playing with different classes, etc.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

And this is why I'm putting so many hours in to DQ9. When I first got it, I had no plans to do any of the post-game, or max any characters. With it being handheld, it's so easy to pick up and play 15 minutes here, 20 minutes there, that I am now getting really in to the post game and maxing out some characters, playing with different classes, etc.

Being able to largely avoid random encounters has been a huge factor in my crazy play time. I haven't clocked this much time on a non-Pokemon RPG in decades -- if ever.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Dourbridge priest is hilarious.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm about to hit the 60 hour mark. Which is about the same time I put into DQ8's post game. Grotto's have been more fun than...8's bosses.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »

Ask him to do a Divination. Fresh!

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The dialogue when he revives someone is gold.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I was actually worried about the Dourbridge priest when I first got there, I thought if I saved with him I'd lose all my money or something.

Actually it would've been awesome if he stole a key item from you and that led to a short quest to chase him down.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I think you are thinking about the Batsureg priest.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »

I think you are thinking about the Batsureg priest.

Yeah...you're right. He's the best priest ever.

lionheart_m on