As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Car Insurance

Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This must be some kind of record for me... 2 new threads in one week?

Anyway, I'm shopping around for new car insurance and I wanted to know what you guys thought about Progressive. My wife and I currently have our cars insured through Geico, but Progressive can give us a cheaper rate for better coverage. I didn't have any claims with Geico, so I don't really have any experience with them other than having to randomly call them up to ask a question (which they were nice about).

I've already done a quote through Allstate, which wanted double what I pay now. Last time I checked, State Farm was just as expensive as Allstate.

I live in Missouri, if that matters.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
Evil_Reaver on

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like progressive because they are cheap. Then again I haven't ever had to use them. Maybe once I am over 25 I will move to something else.

A guy I work with doesn't like them because they didn't pay for a rental when somebody ran him off the road and totalled his car.

Investigate further but I can honestly say if you want to save money use them.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I switched from Geico to Progressive last year and have been very happy with them. A couple of months after I switched, I got into an accident (hit a pothole that did $7k worth of damage to my car). Progressive handled everything beautifully, and their rates are a good 40% less than I was paying with Geico for the same coverage.

I've recommended them to a few people since then. I'm in NYC for reference.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I liked them just fine. I had a claim once and I had no problems getting it filled. I did have to drive my car to their claims center though (it was still safely drivable, otherwise they would have come to me). You may be able to pay a little more to get rental coverage if you need it.

Cauld on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My philosophy is that pretty much every insurance company is shit, and will treat you like shit when you need them. Unless you've got an agent who is really good, I wouldn't worry about it, and go with whoever is cheapest.

Thanatos on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    My philosophy is that pretty much every insurance company is shit, and will treat you like shit when you need them. Unless you've got an agent who is really good, I wouldn't worry about it, and go with whoever is cheapest.

Oh Than, this is why we keep you around :P

Evil_Reaver on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We have Progressive. They're not particularly odious, we even called up once to get advice on whether or not to submit a $1700 claim and the lady on the phone was like "I can't tell you what your rate hike will be if you submit a claim. In NO way am I allowed to give NO advice to NObody."

So they're alright in my book. Their web presence is pretty great too.

zilo on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Terrible grammatical sentences aside.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited July 2010
    Oh Than, this is why we keep you around :P
    You should know that I work with a company that deals with insurance claims for about 80%-90% of our business, so I'm not coming at this from a position of complete ignorance.

Thanatos on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have Progressive for my motorcycle insurance and they've been awesome to deal with, though I haven't had to file a claim.

I've filed claim against people that have Progressive and I remember them being okay to deal with as well.

Fuck GEICO right up the ass though.

adytum on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    I don't know what area you're in, but Amica is a fantastic company. I've had to call them a few times and they were so helpful and prompt it was almost surreal. When I totaled my car a number of years ago, I had a check for full KBB value in less than 2 weeks, with no fuss at all.

I've always found their rates to be pretty good, as well as their customer service. They have good roadside, as well.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I agree with one exception, if you're eligible for USAA coverage you should go with them.

Fats on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, you guys are awesome!

I pulled the trigger on Progressive. It's going to save us almost $300 a year to switch from Geico.

Evil_Reaver on
    edited July 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    I agree with one exception, if you're eligible for USAA coverage you should go with them.
    Generally, if you're eligible for them, they're the cheapest. But yes, this is absolutely true; they are great.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.