As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need a new computer.

CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
As you may have inferred from my cunning and subtle title, I need a new computer. This old Dell is now five years old and has reached the end of its useful life as a primary computer.

I've got a good 19-inch monitor (also five years old, but very sharp). I haven't found a single dead pixel or anything like that. I sort of expected it to be shitty as it's a Dell, but honestly after all this time I have no complaints. I think I'll keep my current monitor. I've also got a reasonable graphics card (nVidia 8800 GT) that I currently run from two power supplies, so I can potentially delay replacing that for a few months.

Other than that, everything needs to be replaced. I don't really know how to go about this—I didn't build this one by hand and in fact have never done so. Is there a decent guide out there? Anything in particular I should watch out for (or look for) as I select components? I'd like a reasonably powerful gaming computer. I don't want this thing to slow down when Mechwarrior 5 or Civ 5 come out, and I want to actually be able to play more than 1v1 games in StarCraft II.

CycloneRanger on