As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architectural Renderings

ksblairksblair Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Artist's Corner
Darken Rahl had mentioned in his other thread about starting a topic on Architectural works, and I thought it was a fun idea, and decided to get it started!

These are a few rendering for a project I had worked on, feedbacks always welcome, and Id love to see other peoples architectural works too!

entryperspective20ad.jpg

stairsinterior6kk.jpg

ksblair on

• Options
    RusticCreatureRusticCreature Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That bottom one would look a lot better if you didn't use all those gradients.

RusticCreature on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That bottom one would look a lot better if you didn't use all those gradients.

I cant tell if that's a joke or not....

Are those sketchup models? I used that app a bit for landscape work and it looks like the kind of images I got out of it. Either way, that's a nice design.

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah duno about the gradients thing, this was done in 3D Max. I forget which engine I used though.

ksblair on
  • Options
    EEZYEEZY Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    I really like it's modern edge.

EEZY on
  • Options
    ohdeeohdee Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hell yes, liking these. Sorry I'm not really up on architechure enough to really even be sure I've spelt it correctly let alone give it a more detailed review other than "that's mad"

ohdee on
    makes music and draws
  • Options
    Darken RahlDarken Rahl Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Without materials, the shadows and flat colors make that stairwell REALLY busy. I'm having trouble picturing it in reality, but I'm liking the shapes and proportions.

Darken Rahl on
    imtoobigfrenbook.jpg
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is that an elevator?

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So you're an architecture student doing it for a project?
    Or is it for some other class??

In any case, you seem pretty competent in sketchup and could get definitely get paid good money for making models for an architecture firm.

XAL on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Without materials, the shadows and flat colors make that stairwell REALLY busy. I'm having trouble picturing it in reality, but I'm liking the shapes and proportions.

Haha yeah, textures were next in line if I had the time, but due dates are due dates :)

Staleghoti - Yes thats an elevator, is it to code you ask? not quite sure, just something I had thrown in there lol.

Xal - Yeah im an architecture student this was for my last project I completed, so both the modeling/renderings were mine as well as the design of the building itself. This was all done in 3D Max though not sketch up, although im more versed in sketchup these days than I am Max.

ksblair on
  • Options
    Windowlicker77Windowlicker77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nice! My engineering professor would approve.

Windowlicker77 on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd suggest using soft shadows (prolly by using buffered lights instead of raytraced lights). The main problem with this viz is that it's hard to tell what is real and what is just a shadow.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Mayday wrote:
    I'd suggest using soft shadows (prolly by using buffered lights instead of raytraced lights). The main problem with this viz is that it's hard to tell what is real and what is just a shadow.

Solid advice, honestly someone else had mentioned something to that effect too, messing with some other engines my old PC wound up getting upset and would lock up after a short while, so I just settled for using raytrace so that I could have something to put on the actual board.

ksblair on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    K...

Just in case: shadow buffers are less system hungry than ray-tracing. :)

Mayday on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ksblair wrote:

Staleghoti - Yes thats an elevator, is it to code you ask? not quite sure, just something I had thrown in there lol.

Kinda looks like a giant forklift, but it's a neat idea. Don't quite know how safe that would be.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Staleghoti wrote:
    ksblair wrote:

Kinda looks like a giant forklift, but it's a neat idea. Don't quite know how safe that would be.

yea, that elevator looks cool as shit, but someone falling over would be an instan lawsuit I guess. You know how America is.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    No, the architectural regulations are ok with this kind of thing.

Mayday on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really, really dislike the exterior. I mean, you have this curvy stair case thing but everything else is just a giant box.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wakkawa wrote:
    I really, really dislike the exterior. I mean, you have this curvy stair case thing but everything else is just a giant box.

I like the idea of the central pillar gong above the building. It's true that it is a bit boxey though.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    wakkawa wrote:

*shrug* That was the intent, the exterior was the large mass forms that broke apart revealing the buildings more structural glass framework at different areas around the building. Project development for a building is about 2 weeks, so I was only really able to tackle so much. With more time im sure more would have been done with the solid aspects of the building but what you seem to dislike is really the basic idea of the building though, so to each their own.

Edit - Just to clarify, that exterior perspective shows about 15% of the buildings exterior, it was an entry perspective. So the building itself isnt a complete box, but from some angles it does seem that way.

ksblair on
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey Ksblair, have your tried out Solidworks? Most of my 3D stuff Ive learned so far has been in Soildworks. Is 3D max easier to use than Solidworks?

Golem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I must say im not firmiliar with Solidworks, to the point of not even having heard of it. Not to say its a bad program, just that i know nothing of it. Im firmiliar with Viz/Max which I would say is moderate in difficulty, and with Sketchup, which is just about as easy as 3D modeling can get I think...

ksblair on