As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ummm.. Why do I taste blood?

GleveGleve Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Sooooo, when I brush my teeth, I pretty much always see a little bit of blood. This has gone on as longas I can remember.

Recently, I've started tasting blood regularly, to the point that it makes me feel ill.

I've got a wedding coming up, and I can't justify a costly visit to the dentist, so is it something that can wait?

I know bloody gums is serious, but life threatening serious? Or just get it seen too serious?

telcus wrote: »
!vote for Gleve that was funny that you bandwaggoned yourself mate :)
Gleve on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bloody gums can be serious, but aren't necessarily serious. I see a little blood whenever I brush, too; my dentist recommended switching to a softer brush, and maybe not being quite so aggressive with it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GleveGleve Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, I am rather rough with my teeth. its always done as I jet out the door to work....

Gleve on
    telcus wrote: »
    !vote for Gleve that was funny that you bandwaggoned yourself mate :)
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Have you tried using listerine or something like that after brushing and flossing? That can help prevent gum problems, I don't know if it would help treat them. Maybe it would make things worse. I don't know, just throwing that out there.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If they're really bloody then its something to worry about. Is it just a tickle, or a lot? Isolated, or general?

Some good first steps would be a softer brush and being gentler, see if that helps at all.

Arrath on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do you floss?

You might consider an electric toothbrush. Besides the health benefits, it'll give your gums a more consistent pressure so you won't have to worry that you're brushing too rough.

admanb on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    One of the things that just recently sunk in for me (due to increasing tooth sensitivity) was that there is actually no need for me to take a toothbrush that is all but steel wool and scrub it against my teeth as hard as I can.

Start by getting a softer toothbrush and just not pushing so hard. Flossing helps tremendously over time (though if you don't now at first it will look even worse). If you aren't, that should help. If you are, stop trying to garrote yourself.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Do you floss?

Flossing toughens up your gums. All the same, go to the dentist and ask him.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When I started flossing I always got bloody for the first couple of weeks. And when my dentist does the caries-scraping thingy it also bleeds. I asked specifically and gums are pretty tough, they don't give a crap about bleeding.

But just from brushing? I'd say you brush too hard, the brushes I get from my dentist are always extra soft and based on that I always by the same brand. As Ceres said, the extra pressure and scrubbing might make you believe that you're getting cleaner but you really aren't. Amalgam is like soap, things don't want to stick on it so it all comes off anyway.

Also, brush from the gum down (or up, if it's on the lower jaw) on the teeth, that way you won't attack the base of the tooth as aggressively.

Movitz on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah.. start flossing. And if you're using a "hard" toothbrush, switch to "soft."

adytum on
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gleve wrote: »
    I know bloody gums is serious, but life threatening serious? Or just get it seen too serious?

Poor oral hygene/gum disease, aside from being the leading cause of teeth loss, has also been linked to, Cardiovascular Disease (Heart attack and Stroke), Bacterial Pneumonia, Low Birth Weight/Extreme High Birth Weight, Diabetes complications and Osteoporosis.

So yeah, it is life threatening serious. Oral infections can travel to your heart and lower your life span.

Floss, use corsodyl mouthwash or equivalent for the standard period of a month (although be aware that it will stain your teeth - avoid coffee/wine) and use a softer brush to let your gums recover.

wilting on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Yeah.. start flossing. And if you're using a "hard" toothbrush, switch to "soft."

I second this. You reduce your chances of receding gums.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My dentist recently told me that gum bleeding when brushing teeth can also be an indicator of plaque build up. I also second flossing (man I hate it so much) and using mouthwash after you brush.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Worst case scenario could include mercury poisoning.

Sheep on
  • Options
    caspcasp Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Or scurvy.

casp on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Could be radiation poisoning, too.

PolloDiablo on