As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e PbP] The Serpent Swallows its Tail (IC)

• Options
    MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is my count. I would say we redistribute to get at least 1 to everybody, depending on Toman's total.

Toman spent 2 in the fight and 4 after so he is at 1 surge remaining out of 7.

It looks like we are in kind of a bad way here, gents.
    I agree, the last fight wasn't terribly hard, but we hosed ourselves by clustering up as one big target.
    If things go as they have been, then at best we can make it one more fight before having to take an extended rest.

MidrealmDM on
    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    HP: 18/29 | Surge Value: 7 (7/7) | AP 1/1
    AC 15 | Fort 13 | Ref 15 | Will 16
    Insight: 16 | Perception: 19
    Condition: Concealment until EoMNT, +2 Bonus to all Def until EoMNT
    Darkspiral Aura: 0
    Cursed: Drake, Boss
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You guys can continue talking about spreading out your surges/resting, etc.

The door opens and all of you are assaulted by a horrid stench. This once engineered room has been carved out into the bedrock beyond by dozens of pickaxes to form what seems to be a goblin warren. In many corners of the misshapen room sit piles of rubble from the digging. In one corner the ashes of a firepit are surrounded by bedrolls and a knocked over spit that at one time held haunches of meat. A few random stools and broken crates are scattered about the floor. In the center of the "warren" on the back wall a tattered tapestry is draped across the floor and an ornate chair is sits among it flanked by two smokeless candles of green flame. To one side of the chair a table sits abandoned, the glint of metal flickering atop it. Peeking out from behind the "throne" you catch a glimpse of the corner of a chest. Slumped on the floor on the other side of the chair and connected to it by a thin chain that is connected to its neck lays a dark haired female.

The floor around the room is covered in pools of blood and drag-marks of various sizes streak all along its surface from side to side.

Map:
    5011971623_c37262d12d_b.jpg

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Snowdown wrote: »
    Slumped on the floor on the other side of the chair and connected to it by a thin chain that is connected to its neck lays a dark haired female.

Female.... human? goblin?

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Humanoid. Medium sized, not wearing much other than tatters. Pale Skin.

You'd have to get closer to find out exactly what race, they're slumped on the floor and unmoving.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Do we need to roll initiative or can we just state our actions?

Ahh heck with it ...
    Initiative: 1d20+1 = 7
    (Slow start again :()

Unless someone stops him or does something else first Toman will be entering the room...
    I'll wait until tomorrow or until everyone has a chance to reply before moving forward.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    There's no need for initiative at this point.

post in whatever order you'd like.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Frazetta eat your heart out!

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, it looks like we have 3 surges we can throw into the kitty. We lose one for the ritual, but we can distribute the other 2 to Zan and Rolan, which will give everybody 1 surge. Probably best that we assume we did this ritual before we opened the door (and with appropriate flavor text I suppose), since it takes 10 minues (I think) to complete. Ruling, Snow?

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll go without a surge, better to keep it with the people who should be getting hit! If I do end up needing it later on then I'm ok with doing the ritual

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You can have split the surges however you like prior to opening the door.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If rolan is cool without i would say give Zan 2, he has done a great job of taking the hits so far.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Agreed. Redistributed by ritual.
    Zan - 2
    Everyone else has 1, except Rolan, who has 0.
    Also, Amos loses 10gp in Reagents, I'll update orokos sometime today to reflect it

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Slumped on the floor on the other side of the chair and connected to it by a thin chain that is connected to its neck lays a dark haired female.[/I]

Seeing the female, and assuming she must be a prisoner, Toman pushes his way into the room. He moves cautiously as he approaches and spares a glance around the room. Having apprached the mysterious female he speaks, "Excuse me," he peers closer trying to discern if she is alive and to what race she belongs,
    "are you in need of any assistance?"

Passive insight 15, Passive perception 16

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    After the ritual, Zan would use one surge to put him at 28/31 with 1 surge left.

Also, I'm planning a few re-trains as I learn more about Swordmage abilities an' junk. But that will have to wait until 2nd level.

Zan follows Toman, peering around before motioning to the black-haired woman.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Upon entering the room you see that the trails of blood seem to travel left to right across the room, originating from multiple spots. It seems as if many creatures were bloodied then drug, alive or dead, across the floor to an opening in the right wall that you could not see from your previous vantage point. The female does not stir at your vocalization. She is small and lithe with pointed ears, creamy yet dirty skin and disheveled hair. Dressed in once rich and vibrant clothes that are now in tatters, she is still very attractive. Your guess would put her as an elf.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Toman moves forward and kneels at her side, he checks her for injuries but has never really paid much attention to the anatomy of the living and isn't sure what to do. "Radulus! Amos! She is hurt!" he attempts to wake her gently.

Heal vs Injuries: 1d20+0 5

Comment : Every portion of my being as a gamer is screaming 'Its a Trap!'

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zan turns, "I'll guard the door - just let me know if you find a new door or something before things come streaming in."

Squints on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hastily approaching the elf Radulus stowes his hammer and reaches out to place a hand on the elf's shoulder... "Give Me Space!" He Shouts raising his voice for the first time outside of combat.

Radulus carefuly examines the elf, making sure to not exasterbate any injuries she may have in an attempt to diagnose her current condition.

Heal check on the Elf to diagnose what is wrong with her. Not healing yet.18

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Woogity wrote: »
    Hastily approaching the elf Radulus stowes his hammer "Give Me Sace!" He Shouts raising his voice for the first time outside of combat.

Edit
    Toman moves to the side and, noticing there is no 'p' in Rad's 'space', considers fixing the situation, but decides that it would be unsainitary.

Edit: Aww - you fixed it - ruins the joke. :winky:

Toman moves to the side, but stays nearby in case the alabaster skinned elf needs assistance.

In case you hadn't picked up on it... Toman is 19 years old, was born in a land of elves, is obsessed with the dead, and this female elf has creamy pale skin (like that of a corpse? - not sure how 'pale' her creamy skin is) - of course he is feeling atracted to her.

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Radulus:
    The elf wears a fashioned metal collar that is chained to the chair. She exhibits bruising around the neck, seemingly from the collar, and on her wrists and arms. However, none of these seem dire. She is quite malnourished, and appears to be unconscious. When you roll her over, her eyes flicker open, roll up until only the whites are visible, and then close again as a near imperceptible groan escapes her lips before she again falls unconscious.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "I will assist Radulus." Amos announces as he strides quickly into the room. "The rest of you search the room and make sure nothing gets the drop on us...it certainly looks like something was afoot in here." There is a slight pause as he eyes Toman, "Stop looking at her like that, its inappropriate."

Stopping beside Radulus and the injured girl, Amos kneels down to assist in any way he can.

Aid in the next heal check Rad makes = 17

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Between the two of you (I'll add Amos' check as an assist roll, putting rad up to 20) you determine that she does not seem to be wounded beyond her lack of nourishment. With a measure of both food and drink administered very carefully, her breathing steadies and she seems to fall into a deep sleep instead of a near death coma.

(This work takes another 10 minutes or so, finding that she will reflexively swallow liquids and either pre-chewing or grinding down food so that it can be washed down with the liquid)

The time in which the rest of the group can search the room and/or work on the chains, etc.

Features in the room unexplored:

Rubble Piles (spread about)
    Bedrolls/campfire/spear-rack (all in one corner)
    Chest/Ornate Chair/Table (all in one area)
    Hole in cavern wall with blood streaks towards it.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The door has a conventional lock, yes? Assuming it is on the inside since Toman had to unlock it, I could close the door and lock it while being able to unlock it at any time?

If so, Zan closes the door and locks it, for now. He then turns to move towards the hole in the cavern wall, looking over to his companions to see if anyone is going to back him up.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The lock is internal and consists of a keyhole on each side. Toman's guess is that it contains a tumbler internally that releases some sort of bars into the rock around it to lock the door in place. If you swing the door open you can see 8 holes an inch in diameter, 2 on each side of the door where you think the "pins" fit to secure it shut.

Toman could relock it using his picks, DC10 since he has already unlocked it.
    If you hadn't tossed the acolyte's body down the hole, you'd be using a key right now ;)

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Toman glares at Amos briefly before pulling out his bedroll and placing it gently under the elf's head. He stands, and defianatly removes his cloak and lays it across her. Then moves to examine the chest, chair, and table but keeps an eye turned toward the elfen maiden.

Perception: 1d20+6-5 14
    Roll modifiers -5 for being distracted

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The chair is old and musty, but ornate. It looks out of place among the dwarven halls.

The chest is made of solid oak wrapped in metal bands with a sturdy lock guarding its contents. It is simple, yet effective.

Discarded food and few mugs of some foul smelling (likely fermented) ...SOMETHING... sit on the table. Amongst the rotting refuse are a number of coins totaling 17 sp 70 copper, a series of small scattered knucklebones, and a rusting dagger.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Toman will pocket the dice; use the knife to scrape/ slide the food off into a pile, pour out the contants of the mug (away from everyone), and hand the coins over to whoever keeps track of party treasure (has that been decided?).

He will then pace silently around, toying with the rusty blade, while asking, "Will she be alright?" just once too often.

Summary
    Keeping: dice, knife, mug
    Sharing: coins
    Discarding: food / beverage

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rolan steps into the room and looks around, he makes a mental note of the elf but knows that she is in far better hands than his. Closing his eyes he tries to reach out into the world and feel the strands of magic that may be scattered amongst the ruins.

Detect magic: 1d20+11 = 17

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    (per the rules, you block out "familiar" [read your own, allies, things you know are magical] signatures in order to more easily identify new ones)

Standing in the center of the room, Rolan is able to detect magical effects in pretty much the entire room (excluding the piles of rubble in the far corners)

Rolan does not detect the presence of any magic in the room.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Can I tell what kind of magical effects they are?

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sorry, I wasn't clear (quick post, bad wording)

By "Detect magical effects in pretty much the entire room" I meant Your detect magic area (which is 5 squares +1 per level) would cover the entire room.

You don't detect any magical effects

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ah gotcha, thanks :D

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    With the aid of Toman (Not going to make you roll) Zan-Kyri manages to get the door into the room locked. Rolan steps to the center of the room and closes his eyes, reaching out with his third eye into the room for any presence of the arcane. After a minute passes, he detects no anomalies to note aside from the familiar signatures of your own little magic. The injured elf seems to be stable, breathing deeply but still unconscious. Amos and Radulus kneel protectively over her body, you have likely saved her life. Zan-Kyri stands between the group and the two possible threats; the doorway and the bloodied opening in the rock, but so far you have detected nothing from either location.

The chest sits locked, behind the goblin "throne".

Your party seems safe.

...For the moment.

You have a decision to make here (After you finish with the room).
    You could decide ANYTHING you'd like, but here are some of the obvious options:

Rest.
    (You are behind a locked door, but that opening in one wall with the bloodstains streaking towards it may make you uncomfortable.)

Continue on either into the tunnels, or down the stairs deeper into the tomb.
    (Afterall, the hobgoblin did mention something about a Ritual going on somewhere below you. However, You're all in pretty bad shape and you would have to leave the Elf somewhere...or carry her.)

Leave.
    (You could always return to town, but you havn't fulfilled your mission as of yet, nor do you have hoards of gold to spend. You're also pretty certain any ritual would be complete by the time you returned in a few days)

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Your party seems safe.

...For the moment.

You have a decision to make here (After you finish with the room).
    You could decide ANYTHING you'd like, but here are some of the obvious options:

This does seem like a (relatively) safe place to rest, but time may not be on our side.
    We could take a 6 hour break and be fully restored, but run the risk of allowing the ritual to be completed.

On the other hand, anything at the bottom of the stairs is most likley already alerted to our presence by the acolyte's body and the glowing sword that were dropped.

Toman feels the hole is safe enough because it appears things were dragged TO it, so it is most likely a dumping/disposal chute. After speaking his mind on the above issues Toman looks at Amos, "As our leader, what is your plan of action?"

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    KorsahnKorsahn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Noting Zan's presence at the hole, Kallas moves steadily and quietly towards it, attempting to discern anything from it.

Perception 7

Unfortunately, he stumbles over a piece of rubble and loses focus.

Korsahn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zan also takes a curious look at the hole once Kallas joins him.
    Perception: 1d20+0 15

Squints on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    After speaking his mind on the above issues Toman looks at Amos, "As our leader, what is your plan of action?"

"Don't think your sarcasm is beyond me, boy" Amos snarls at Toman. "My ideal plan of action would be to send someone to town to get proper authorities and manpower to stop whatever is happening here...but of course there is no time for that. We SHOULD rest, but again, I'm not sure we can risk being too late for the ritual. On the other hand, we cannot simply leave the girl here, either, nor can we carry her behind us like some scantily clad wagon." Amos is half talking to himself, as if trying to sort out his own thoughts.

Though he knows Toman was not being totally serious about calling him their leader, Amos is in unfamiliar territory with someone actually valuing his opinion. Generally, he would speak his mind, and catch the priests and clerics of his temple rolling their eyes. Deciding that any plan of action is better than wandering aimlessly, Amos speaks, "It seems that, as long as that hole that Zan-Kyri and Kallas are investigating is safe, our best bet is to stay here and gather our strength. Perhaps by the time we are well ourselves the girl can at least stand on her own power. I'm not sure we can survive another encounter in our weakened state WHILE protecting an invalid."

"Also someone should try and open that chest, it may contain valuable information on our plight here. Perhaps someone with a set of thieves tools, that I can only assume are to be used for complete lawful purposes..." He says, looking sidelong at Toman. He adds as an afterthought, "Do check to see if its trapped. I would hate to be looking after 2 invalids."

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    The blood streaks leading to the hole are dried and at least a day old if not more. The hole is large enough for a medium creature to go through. Beyond the hole is connected to a tunnel. The tunnel's walls are rough, as if scratche out from the bedrock. They are definitely not natural, and while similar to, not the same as the walls of the room that was carved out by the dozens of picks littering the floor.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Toman scowls at Amos before walking back to the chest muttering to himslef "Pam na wnewch chi roi hynny cynllun ar waith...Дозвольте його душу годувати мені!...Y un rydych yn mynd i gwanwyn cyn y byddwn yn cadw eich aur casgen."

Not wanting to give Amos the satisfaction about being right about anything. Toman sits crosslegged on the floor in front of the chest and re-examines it thouroghly for about 10 minutes, although his irritation keeps him from focusing on the task at hand. He then sets to work on opening the chest without his tools, using the rusty dagger as an improvised lock-pick.

Elvish
    Why don't you put that plan into action... Дозвольте його душу годувати мені!...the one you were going to spring before we saved your golden ass.

Dark Speech
    Allow me to feed on his soul!
    Edit: In case it isn't clear Toman's 'shadow self' is a somewhat seperate personality and/or being, although this is the first time it has surfaced outside of battle. It is attempting to gain permission to attack Amos, although the party probably wouldn't know what the voice was saying, they might notice the dark speech smattered in with the elvish - but if they thought that occurance was noteworthy is another matter.
    Toman didn't seem to notice anything (or is choosing to ignore it).

Perception: 1d20+6 12
    Thievery vs Chest: 1d20+6 14
    Assuming no trap is set off - he will continue to work the chest For as long as it takes

MidrealmDM on
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "The girl cannot move on her own power, and should not be forced to move until she is able..." Radulus mutters while examining the chest hidden behind the throne without letting his curiosity draw him too far from his new patient... " Should wait...Ritual is not our purpose here...tho it may be problematic... I would suggest resting if you are able. Should keep a guard least ways..."

Toman
    As you approach Radulus mutters to you " How do you feel your skills will fare on that chest? Should the girl regain consciousness it may prove an opportune place for her to hide until we can take our leave of this place..."

Woogity on

the game assassino_O