As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Start-up problem on my desktop

LittleKeyLittleKey Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi guys; this morning when I tried to turn on my desktop, I was greeted with a loud beep and a female voice that said "System failed memory test". Nothing happens after this except it repeats every 5 seconds or so. It doesn't connect to my monitor and I basically can't boot up my computer; I'm running Windows XP by the way. I'm thinking it might be the RAM; I've had problems with RAM before and I've been running on only 1 GB of it. My theory is that my final stick of RAM died, but I don't really know how I'd be able to test this. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Thank you :)!

oblivion-1.jpg
LittleKey on

• theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You could try reseating your RAM, that might fix it. You may as well just buy new RAM though, you can get a gig for like $25.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • LittleKeyLittleKey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    By reseating, do you mean just taking it out and putting it back in? If so, then yeah, I tried it in pretty much every possible combination without success. Oh well, I guess this is my computer's way of saying I should finally give in and buy that new motherboard/RAM I've been needing for a while.

LittleKey on
    oblivion-1.jpg
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah, its most likely the ram.

I doubt you've been overclocking or fooling with the Bios so I doubt you did anything to cause it to happen.

the only other option is the mobo itself which is unlikely.

buy some new ram.

Dunadan019 on