As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo Reach's Forge 2.0: Superhuge map, Parts, Objective Objects

1235»

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well it's not like I can create some plain old map and upload it into the matchmaking hopper. Bungie still has their same old approval process. They even mentioned that in one of their interviews on Waypoint, and I think in one of the weekly updates. The maps they make in forge world have to go through the exact same approval process for balance and gameplay and whatever that ours have to.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    For some reason my friend thinks its bad that Forge is easier now. He said that now everyone can make maps, and no one will care for the pros or something like that. I thought that was retarded, if a map is good, no matter who made it, its good. Plus those forge pros can make even better things now, so why complain?
    There were similar sentiments on ForgeHub. I can understand it - if you spent hours learning how to exploit the game to make awesome stuff, when that's pulled out from under you it feels like a waste of time.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    It's basically the MLG mentality but applied to Forge. They all like 'knowing' the glitches when other people don't. It's "skill" if you can memorize all of them so you can basically show off as you're playing. Same bitching about BXR being killed off - half of it was that the BR wasn't as deadly as a shotgun at point blank range anymore, but also the fact that they couldn't do their little glitch anymore to show off their 'skill'.

WHY CAN OTHER PEOPLE DO THIS EASIER I AM NO LONGER SPECIAL

fuck no, floating/merging/ghosting is annoying as shit

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well yeah, everyone likes belonging to a special club. It's misunderstanding why they're disappointed about the club no longer existing that leads to wtfery.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    More importantly, who cares? The average Halo Joe probably doesn't even know there are people who take the Forge stuff seriously. All they see is free new maps.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kill_Box.jpg
    Hey look, I might be able to build my rising lava map, in the kill zone menu is says spawn time.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yep, you can gradually add them in.. although you'd need to spawn in like a falling fusion coil or something to tell people what's about to happen.

Heck, you might be able to do that more intuitively with Invasion forging. Man, we don't even know any details on Invasion Forge.. that should be pretty damn interesting. I'm guessing we'll be able to define which 'phase' objects come in on.. so you could for instance have an invasion map that is a spire, and you spawn in new structure and 'lava' and killzones as it progresses.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was thinking of having it on a cliffside, with platforms, so maybe I could put kill balls on each platform higher and higher when the kill zones spawn.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I was thinking of having it on a cliffside, with platforms, so maybe I could put kill balls on each platform higher and higher when the kill zones spawn.

That could actually be doable in Halo 3. Just set a bunch of killballs to spawn at different intervals, rising throughout the map. You could set it so that it coincides with the announcer saying how much time is left as a warning, even.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It should be noted that in a Q&A, a bungie guy said that he didn't think they upped the max spawn in time. So I wouldn't expect the ability to spawn in objects past a 3 min timer. Using the soft kill barrier there, you would be able to force people to climb higher on the map. I don't know how you would let them know to go up... when suddenly they are out of bounds with 10 seconds to live. Maybe put it in the map description?... or have the second section "unlock" (fusion coils blowing open doors) when it's time to go up?
    Willeth wrote: »
    That could actually be doable in Halo 3. Just set a bunch of killballs to spawn at different intervals, rising throughout the map. You could set it so that it coincides with the announcer saying how much time is left as a warning, even.

It's not really possible with what we have in Halo 3 right now. Once spawned, killballs can't move, you could raise the floor they are on, and they would just phase in with the floor... that, and you can't spawn enough killballs to cover any area bigger than a pipe.
    Kor wrote: »
    Well it's not like I can create some plain old map and upload it into the matchmaking hopper. Bungie still has their same old approval process. They even mentioned that in one of their interviews on Waypoint, and I think in one of the weekly updates. The maps they make in forge world have to go through the exact same approval process for balance and gameplay and whatever that ours have to.

They were talking about the new file search feature. If you make a good map and people play it (download it from your fileshare), they will recommend it, share it with their friends, and it will gain popularity. When you search for maps, the more popular ones will show up first. In that way, the good maps will rise to the top and people will play them more. I'm sure bungie will keep an eye on the top maps and (hopefully) send them through the approval process to be put into matchmaking.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Did they even do that on Halo 3, and are you talking about Social Matchmaking or ranked Matchmaking?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Did they even do that on Halo 3, and are you talking about Social Matchmaking or ranked Matchmaking?

There have been a few community made maps that have made it into the regular map rotation in ranked + social.
    http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/atlas/Group/GroupHome.aspx

It's not the same process, but they have a double xp weekend that is nothing but community made maps (50+ maps).

Using bungie.net, you can search for different forged maps in Halo 3.... Reach will have this ability in game, plus it will have more options.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This thread is apparently retareded.

I, however, like what you've done with the OP Fyre - keep up the good work. The level of map making that Bungie is supporting is unparalleled, and certainly gives validity to a precedent setting thread devoted to MP and map discussion!

Hell, if the kids in the MMO section get a thread for every class, might as well diverge a bit on the 'ol GnT.

Yes, but there wasn't lava. which is why Bungie needs to give us control of water levels and the like.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This thread is apparently retareded.
    Making two threads was already crazy enough.

I agree. I mean, there isn't really anything in here that couldn't be in the original Halo thread.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Making two threads was pretty crazy.

Thankfully, the double Starcraft II threads have proven that a nice split between the slower paced discussion of single player and the frenzied thread-a-day action of a mutliplayer thread is smart for launch day blockbuster games.

Also, so long as the OP is well made, and the discussion is on topic and appropriate for the forum it resides, this thread is plenty fine in the eyes of the moderators.

Fyre is acting a bit preepmtively on creating this thread, but he's got the right idea; I personally feel that a Forge thread really can't stand unsupported, and on launch day could also host Reach MP discussion to keep it bolstered as a 'community' section for Halo discussion.

The offerings in Halo: Reach are varied enough, and the amount of people that will be coming to talk about Halo on September 14th are numerous enough, that this seems like a good idea, so long as the OPs remain solid, and the discussions remain on-topic.

Which is why I'm done talking about this, but by all means, you can continue.
    inbe4 pancake's low self-esteem train toootoootoootooot

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What do you mean by the OPs remaining solid?

Kor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you touch them, their molecules shouldn't separate under pressure.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you touch them, their molecules shouldn't separate under pressure.

But also OPs that are rich in content and information. If there's ever a thread that gets locked, it's either because the discussion got way too off-topic, or a swift death because the OP sucked.

Those are the two reasons why a thread shouldn't exist anymore. As it stands, this thread has on-topic discussion and an informative OP. Unfortunately, because Reach isn't out yet, it's also a bit fucking useless, but at least Fyre has the right idea for when the game launches.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks to the pictures, I had an idea for a Boarding Action remake involving a base on the beach and another in the ocean, like a ship. I think after I play through the campaign a couple of times, I'll sit down and hammer out the details in forge.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i have a great idea for my map... i plan to place killzones along the bottom of the canyon, and then build large bridge structures from one end of each cliff to the next.
    my initial idea was to remake this map from halo PC but i realized the interior walls of this map would be hard to replicate. in my new idea i have bases on either side of the canyon, with 3 bridges spread across. here's a rough sketch
    281x47r.jpg
    the purple squares are mancannons. the bridges are not level, but it's tough to convey that. the middle bridge is raised. the mancannons are the main way to get from base to base. using a jetpack you can cross the gaps between the bridges, or use one of the banshees that spawn on the far end of each bridge in front of each base.
    and yep, really want to make this map.
    fore getting it right.

i end up getting bored and tried to make this map in the sky on sandbox. it came out okay but since i wasted tons of money on making the canyon walls i had to scale it down to just two bridges. as it moved on the bridge and the bases became one for the red base, and i had to fix man cannons several times because they were death traps.
    if you want to check it out i have in my [URL="http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/fileshare.aspx?player=local h jay]fileshare under slot 4.[/URL]

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    16.jpg

Looks like water can play quite a major role in maps.
    From Incompetent Cartographer 5 on Bungie's blog.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Map's gunna get wet.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well I ordered my legendary edition last night from Gamestop.

When I told the guy that my girlfriend would probably be picking it up for me as I'd be out of town that week, he just kinda looked at me and smirked, as if he figured I was lying about the girlfriend.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    16.jpg

Looks like water can play quite a major role in maps.
    From Incompetent Cartographer 5 on Bungie's blog.
    Man, if we could make an underwater atlantis(rapture) map that would be awesome.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've decided my first forge map will be a Boarding Action re-imagining. I had a lot of fun with a bad remake tonight in Halo 3, but I have some ideas on how to improve it. Something along the lines of Swordbase, only more falling to your death and more rooms with open sides.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maps with underwater sections and Stealth could lead to some serious Predator-style halo marine dude action.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    we are all the adrienbrody/arnold/dannyglover

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What would be a better base for a map? A sky Ship shaped base, or a regular base shaped base (With additions).

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So according to a bungie update, there are items, and then there are variations of items, going as specific as how wide and tall it is.

Kadoken on