As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

'Whomp!' June 6, 2011 "Heavy Petting"

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For some reason, TLB, I thought you were a big comedy cynic like me. That is, nothing ordinary could make you laugh, like a depraved man who can't get a happy without choking on a goldfish.

That said, I tell people that TLB is my divining rod of humor. I can get pretty close by feeling my way around, but TLB always knows where to drill the well.

What I'm saying here is I use a lot of analogies, just like an old western movie uses a lot of blank ammo rounds.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    for some reason, after reading your post, I want to make a Brandon Lee joke

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    for some reason, after reading your post, I want to make a Brandon Lee joke

too soon

(but actually, I didn't realize The Crow was being filmed in NC, my state. I did know a goth guy though who was convinced of a conspiracy around Brandon's death. Though, I wouldn't call it far-fetched since some speculate the Chinese mafia was after Bruce Lee, and his son would be a likely target as well.)

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited June 2011
    brandon lee had to die because after showdown in little tokyo, he no longer mattered

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    in NC

What.

Where are you? If you're right around the corner we're meeting up for reals.

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    Well, right now I live really close to Shelby, about 50 miles west of Charlotte. Unfortunately in a week or two, I'm moving to the deepest depths of South Carolina where I'll be forever alone.

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited June 2011
    ronnie let's be realistic

being forever alone was always in your future, no matter where you lived

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Well you're like 3 solid hours away, so I guess thats not around the corner. This state is giant. Why SC?

Also on topic i guess, your comic is cool and junk.

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for liking it Iruka!

And it's complicated for the move to SC. All I know is my goal is to leave it as soon as possible.

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited June 2011
    2011-06-06-Heavy-Petting.jpg
    Yeah, I know. Two weird cat abuse comics in a row. I promise I'm nice to my cats though. Other than... you know, pooting in their faces and misjudging their distance from me when I reach out my hand to pet them.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    my cat at work likes it rough like that
    she actually headbutts my hand to obtain pettings

tapeslinger on
    edited June 2011
    the punch should be more pronounced and you ain't need the text

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2011
    The point of it being not-so-pronounced is it was light, and accidental. I'm not going Evander Holyfield on it. Not sure how else I'm supposed to convey that.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think it should be a strong closed fist punch.

It sells the joke better than just, "he accidentally bumped the cat with his hand."

edit: I was going to also say that it looks like he's actually talking out loud to himself, based on how the speech bubbles look. I don't know if that's what you wanted. Ronnie is the sort of person who would do that I guess.

DeeLock on
    edited June 2011
    exactly

it is a lot funnier if after all this frettin' the last panel is ronnie straight up cold cockin' the cat

it is a ronnie thing to do

he is bad at doing things no person should be

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2011
    But that's exactly what he did, he hit it, and that's the wrong way to pet a cat. Is he supposed to wind up for the pitch and knock the cat across the room? Whomp! is semi-autobiographical, and I don't want people to get the idea that I'm actually trying to physically harm cats.

Anyway, sorry to be difficult. That strip is done and forgotten. Onto the next one...

HugmasterGeneral on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think the point is that the way it is now, the situation is a little weak in the funny department. By just closing the fingers it gets more funny because it seems like the joke is that Ronnie was awkward and managed to punch the cat because he is uncoordinated, so by having a more legitimate punch this is pushed further.
    If you are worried about seeming abusive then you could just change the 'argh' in the speech bubble to something that sounds more obviously apologetic.
    Or just stop abusing your cats >:C
    Just kidding! <3

lyrium on
    edited June 2011
    no keep abusing you cats

they've had it too good for too long

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    It builds character!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    happy bday!!! (facebook told me so)

ninjai on
    edited June 2011
    Thank you, Ninjai :)

HugmasterGeneral on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    birthday?!
    I thought you always were and always will be

Tam on
    edited June 2011
    Technically I just celebrate the most recent moment I remember, using the Earth calendar

HugmasterGeneral on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    rfilyawbday.png

melting_doll on
    edited June 2011
    aww, thank you Melting Doll! It's great. You're the first person to give me a gift today.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Happy celebratory womb extraction day!
    Cwuuute MD

m3nace on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Happy Birthday Ronnie!

Sorry I am probably going to cut it a bit close with my guest comic, because my tablet has decided to freak out and die on me

I'll be trying to buy a new one first thing tomorrow, so if it all works out I should have it done in a day or so

otherwise I will make you a delightful mspaint comic with a mouse until I can finally find a new tablet

Fletcher on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    happy birthday ronnie!

also i loved your game of thrones comic
    the last panel was absolutely perfect

mully on
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the birthday wishes (all three of you).

Please don't fret it Fletcher! If it gets done, it gets done. If it doesn't, it is absolutely no problem.

Mully, thanks for the comic complement (comicplement). I wish I could make comics that funny all the time!

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited June 2011
    @Ronnie i cannot help fretting, a Lannister always pays his debts

You did say the 15th was when the guest strip would be going up, right? I have ordered a new tablet that SHOULD be here by the 13/14th

But if it isn't, I'm thinking I might do a strip by HAND like a caveman and use that if it is okay? Not like a scribbled one, one I would actually try to do well!

Fletcher on
    edited June 2011
    We'll make it go live on the 17th at 3AM New York time (that way the week is closed with a Fletcher, so it gets 3 days instead of just 2), so hopefully that gives you more leeway. Also, I'm still willing to help you with a guest strip if, because of your tablet crapping, you're not going to have one for Monday. Of course, I'm certainly not Fletcher funny, so I'm still getting the good part of the deal. haha

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited June 2011
    ooh ooh yeah if you could seriously get a strip done by monday that would be awesome, ronnie!

I am gonna do a finger-painted comic today for the "friday" update I missed, but a guest strip would certainly take a load off it you're sure you have the time!

and awesome yeah, I should definitely have a new tablet by the 17th so I will get it to you before then

yaaay comics

Fletcher on
    edited June 2011
    yaay! I'll do your Monday guest comic tomorrow and get it to you as soon as I'm done.

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited June 2011
    ronnie I dug your game of thrones comic

why did you not post it here dangit

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2011
    I was working on it so late in the morning, it wouldn't have been possible to critique it in time for me to do anything about it. Sorry :I

Edit: Also, I was so proud of it, as well as exhausted, any criticism may have made me curl into a fetal position and weep myself to a fitful 24-hour sleep.

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited June 2011
    ronnie I hate going to two websites to see things

from now on you gotta post everything in this thread

everything

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Dangit, fine.

We'll start with my My Pictures folder.

gotohell.jpg
    diefrommoe.jpg
    thebird.jpg

ok now I'm bored with that joke. Time to start thinking up Monday's "Antics"!

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited June 2011
    ronnie don't you get bored with jokes

don't you ever get bored with jokes

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sein.jpg

"what's the deal with jokes?"

mully on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    oh the irony

Anialos on