As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tron Legacy - Newfangled Lightcycles

WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Remember this:
Tron--1982--80s-films-298793_834_1100.jpg

Released in 1982 it attracted zero attention, varying reviews and didn't win an Oscar because they claimed the producers "cheated" by using computers.

Ho ho ho, how they laughed.

Despite that Tron received a cult following lasting for years, and the producers of it had the last laugh what with the fact that Tron inspired damn near every movie involving graphical animation to date. Avatar? Pffft, we thought of that in the 80's, man!

Now, 28 years later (fucking hell), Disney has gave Lisberger another shot at making Tron, what with the fact that technology has finally caught up with what Tron was thinking.

Why should you be interested:

Well it stars:

tronlegacy.jpg

Old Jeff lives in the Tron world as a sort of God.

babylon-5-lost-tales-bruce-boxleitner-tracey-scoggins.jpg

Sheri-I mean...Bradley acts a surrogate father to this guy:

487px-Garrett_Hedlund_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Er...we don't know who this guy is, but he's the main character. Has the hots for:

olivia-wilde-picture.jpg

Yeah, that's right, Thirteen is in this! You surely don't need more of an excuse to go see this now, do you?

You do? Well fine! Then it has these guys doing the music:

daft-punk.png

And it's in motherfucking 3D! And IMAX! And the trailers look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9szn1QQfas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_I70KACh4o

(Yeah that's right! Young Flynn. Using that same Avatar technology but in something useful!)

If you don't go see this you're lame and I hate you! And Thirteen will hate you! Yeah

Out in December 17th (US) and 26th (UK) you better go goddamn see this awesome or i'll hurt you!

Discuss everything to do with Tron Legacy in here now!

Also Lightcycles!

Tron2lightcycle.jpg

WMain00 on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    This space reserved in case I need to put something interesting here. Maybe more Thirteen pictures. :winky:

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am SO HYPED for this movie. TRON rules. I hope the soundtrack is good--I'm a good fan of Wendy Carlos' original.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The original Tron was awesome. Oh how I hope this is awesome.

Guys I want to see a Recognizer flatten something in glorious modern day hi def imax 3d.

desc on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My girlfriend hasn't seen the original.

This will be rectified before this movie comes out.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm disappointed that the lightcycles can turn at angles other than 90°. But otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm disappointed that the lightcycles can turn at angles other than 90°. But otherwise, it looks pretty good.

I blame the rise of antialiasing.

desc on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Watch the original film. They've always been able to do that. 90 Degrees was only on the game grid.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm hoping the original will be re-released on DVD before Legacy comes out, since Netflix apparently has one copy for the entire country and Amazon wants $80 for it.

Boxleitner's voice is distracting now because I always think of him as Captain Sheridan no matter what he's in.

antherem on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Let's see, does this movie have any chance of being any good?

bit.jpeg

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Let's see, does this movie have any chance of being any good?

bit.jpeg

*tries to remember if that's a Yes or a No*

EDIT: A No eh? Scum!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's a no.

I want it to be good, I really do, but I have no faith in the new movie living up to my rose colored memories of the first one.

And 13 being in this is not a reason to be excited. Quite the opposite, really.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "We have glowbikes.

But you've got to peddle them."

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have no rose colored memories of the first one, aside from the groundbreaking effects the plot was paper thin and the acting was pretty bad in parts. Honestly, I'm going to enjoy it for no other reason than these two movies are literally the evolution of CG.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like the aesthetic, but the plot looks pretty mediocre.

Just from the trailers it looks like they're going to have pacing problems where it takes forever before they actually get into the computers. This kid's childhood is going to be this movie's Shire: an inescapably dull prelude.

MrMister on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MrMister wrote: »

Just from the trailers it looks like they're going to have pacing problems where it takes forever before they actually get into the computers. This kid's childhood is going to be this movie's Shire: an inescapably dull prelude.
    Eh, the trailer makes it look like they're going to jump cut about 20 years of his life out. Probably do some kind of montage showing all his dads things boxed up, him having to move out of his house, a dramatic hand-on-switch scene where the arcade machines all go dark, and then he's suddenly a troubled 20-something with a motorcycle, a chip on his shoulder and too much gel in his hair.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I watched the first one lass night. It was kind of cool, but I can't really see any reason why this one shouldn't be as good.

Also, how the hell are you taking that from the trailers? That half of them are set in the real world? We see 3, maybe 4 scenes in that part, and actually, that seems like a good trailer to me, in that it doesn't spoil stuff. I think you might be jumping to conclusions.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Honestly the most impressive part is that they made Jeff Bridges look convincingly 28 years younger.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Honestly the most impressive part is that they made Jeff Bridges look convincingly 28 years younger.

Like you said, evolution of CG.

Jeff Bridges isn't actually in the movie.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010
    See, I actually hate the aesthetic.

The first movie was awesome because everything looked computerized and techie. It was campy-looking, sure, but that was part of the charm. The computer world is one of blocky pixelated shit, and everything is designed with function over form in mind. It was rad. Also, I was 7 at the time.

The new look doesn't make me think of computer graphics. It looks mostly stuff from a crappy SyFy-channel flick with neon glued to it. It doesn't look like a computer world, it looks like someone trying to make realistic-looking CG and failing. Whatever the plot or acting might be - and maybe they'll be quite good - the film has already mostly lost me because the look is unappealing to me.

And yes, I know that for a computer world today, the more realistic look is more fitting, because that's what actual computer graphics can look like. I suppose it makes sense, I just don't care for it.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    All I know is that I still want to become an evil businessman so I can fly around in that ENCOM helicopter and have an office exactly like Dillinger's.

desk-tron.jpeg

desc on
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to have a Tron party. With mass amounts of alcohol and we can pour glow stick stuff on ourselves while hitting each other with frisbies.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The last time I watched Tron it was on video disc. Not laser disc, older, and bulkier. And uglier.

The dude I was watching it thought he was missing the second half of the movie. Then I flipped the disc over for him.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Eh, the trailer makes it look like they're going to jump cut about 20 years of his life out. Probably do some kind of montage showing all his dads things boxed up, him having to move out of his house, a dramatic hand-on-switch scene where the arcade machines all go dark, and then he's suddenly a troubled 20-something with a motorcycle, a chip on his shoulder and too much gel in his hair.

Oh, I know.

But let's face it: five sentimental minutes in this moppet's childhood is already a boring, shitty pacing problem.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Oh, I know.

But let's face it: five sentimental minutes in this moppet's childhood is already a boring, shitty pacing problem.

How the hell do you know this without seeing the movie? When was the last time you watched the original TRON? Aside from Clu in the beginning, There's a good 15 minutes before we get into the computer.

As for the aesthetic look of the film: I think part of the premise is that the equivalent of 1000s of years have passed in the computer world. I would be disappointed if things hadn't changed. I think they also realized that recreating the original B/W rotoscoped look would just not fly with today's audiences.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Let's face it though, it would be ridicolous to maintain the same look. Computers have advanced immensely in ability since the early 80's, ergo it only makes sense the world of Tron should advance and evolve as well.

EDIT: Similarly I think they'll point out that 28 years is a very VERY long time for a computer.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It even says that in the trailer. There was something about it being a long time, and Jeff Bridges Saying "you have no idea" or something to that effect.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But yes, we all want a Dillinger office so we can sit around plotting and being evil with a fancy table and an MCP.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This seems like a perfect place to put the recent glorious return of Giantbomb's TANG

http://www.giantbomb.com/wonderful-universe-of-tang-tron/17-2909/

Its got a pretty good overview of the first movie and a kickass intro imo.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    But yes, we all want a Dillinger office so we can sit around plotting and being evil with a fancy table and an MCP.

I don't think Dillinger was all that evil. Yeah, he stole Flynn's programs, but he didn't want the MCP to break into the Pentagon or whatever. He was merely a pawn in the MCP's game.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

And end every conversation with

END OF LINE.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm really hoping for good things with this. More than I was with Clash of the Titans. I expected that to be garbage and it was. But this one... I could really get hurt on this one. :)

I think I 'll go home and watch my dvd of the original.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Christ, WarGames. I remember WarGames. Contrary to GiantBombs rose tinted opinion on it, WarGames made little to no fucking sense in the end.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Christ, WarGames. I remember WarGames. Contrary to GiantBombs rose tinted opinion on it, WarGames made little to no fucking sense in the end.
    WarGames was reverse-Terminator. A computer became self-aware and decided saving humanity was the way to go.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This movie will be very, very bad, though I'll see it opening night and hope just as hard as I can that I'm wrong.

End of line.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've had a lot of faith since that first trailer they released. It set a great tone and the visuals and music were amazing.

Also now that Pixar is on-board and helping along, my hopes have skyrocketed

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Going to have to agree with the bolded. From the trailer, it looks like they're going with the 'young man searches for his long-lost father, and in finding his father and reconciling with him he becomes a man' plot.

So, basically a variation on The Hero's Journey, again. Meh.

Still not going to stop me from seeing this movie, since I loved the original, but going in I'm not going to expect anything great or groundbreaking from the plot.

Havelock on
  • Options
    dasZombie42dasZombie42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm excited for this. Haven't seen the original in a couple years so I'm definitely gonna have to watch it before seeing the new one.

dasZombie42 on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

And end every conversation with

END OF LINE.

Fuck! I wish I'd seen you write end of line before I had ;).

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I saw the first one in the theater, and have watched it numerous times since it first came out, it has aged surprisingly well tho I can see the more of the acting flaws than I could as a child.

When I go see this one I am not going to try to pick it apart cause it probably wont live up to the original, i'll just sit back with a large pop in hand and think how sweet it would be to ride a lightcycle.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041