As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Excel Voodoo Help

jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have to enter a list of several hundred consecutive part numbers into Excel.

They'll run down the A Column starting with A1. The starting number is 110-100100-001, the next number in the set is 110-100101-001 and so on. Is there an easy way to have Excel autopopulate the cell with the next number in the sequence?

Thanks in advance.

jhunter46 on

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Try something like

=CONCATENATE("110-", 100099+ROW(A1), "-001")

...modifying the ROW(A1) part as appropriate and then copying it downwards into as many cells as necessary.

EDIT: Forgot I changed B10 to A1

Orogogus on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You could enter the middle set in one column (i.e. 100100) then autofill it down to get 100101, 100102 etc. and add the other sides in after using the & function.

For example, if you were placing the middle in column B you could use the following formula in column C: =("100-"&B1&"-001"), assuming I've understood the problem correctly.

Then copy, paste as values to get just the numbers.

Edit: Orogogus... always one step ahead.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    You could enter the middle set in one column (i.e. 100100) then autofill it down to get 100101, 100102 etc. and add the other sides in after using the & function.

For example, if you were placing the middle in column B you could use the following formula in column C: =("100-"&B1&"-001"), assuming I've understood the problem correctly.

Then copy, paste as values to get just the numbers.

Edit: Orogogus... always one step ahead.

That was perfect. Thanks guys.

jhunter46 on