As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brushing a cat's teeth

OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Obligatory:
38633131423706899562100.jpg

A while back there was a cat food thread where someone opined that people who don't brush their cat's teeth were horrible pet owners, or something to that effect. I do brush my cat's teeth, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. The cat doesn't cooperate, see. She doesn't bite or scratch, but she squirms and licks away the toothpaste.

The end result is that I think I might be doing a fair job on the outer face of the teeth, but not so much on the inside face. And her breath is pretty bad. I could try to get my landlord to help and make this a 2 person job, but holding my cat's jaw open sounds like a bit of a fight.

Does anyone have any tips on effective oral hygiene for a cat who wants nothing to do with it?

Orogogus on

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd also like advice on this. I just had my cats' teeth cleaned at the vet for a huge amount of money ($350 per cat D: ) and I'm hoping if I brush their teeth I can delay a return visit. Right now they don't cooperate at all, so it's me vs a struggling, flailing cat.

LadyM on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    do they make greenies for cats? they wouldn't replace brushing, but it would help at least i guess. if you push your fingers into her eye teeth (teeth under her eyes) you will force her mouth open, you just kind of have to do it quickly and hope for the best.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is all anecdotal, but my family have always had two cats for as long as I can remember, six total so far and we have never, ever brushed their teeth. My friends who do rescue work for the local animal shelter had never heard of brushing cat's teeth.

A cursory google turned up a bunch of instructional videos, but I have to admit, is this just one of those things that overzealous pet owners do?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've had or at least been around cats for the last 25 consecutive years and I have never heard of brushing a cats teeth until this thread.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Generally this comes down to diet. If your cat eats nothing but kibble, they will probably have buildup on their teeth (kibble does not generally do a good job of cleaning teeth because when a cat bites into it, it cracks and powders). Wet food that contains chunks of meat is much better, because they chew up the chunks and that helps clean their teeth.

That's why some people advocate raw food for cats, because the coarse, ground-up bone in the raw food does an even better job of cleaning their teeth. You can also give your cat a raw chicken wing. No guarantees that your cat will be at all interested in raw meat if they're used to kibble, though.

Greenies work well because they are very coarse and do not readily pulverize, so cats will chew and chew and they'll help get their teeth clean.

But yeah, you only need to clean your cat's teeth if they're dirty. Cats will normally have questionable breath (it'll smell like cat food and cat butt) and you can check their gumline to see if they have too much buildup (just lift their lips while they're sleeping). Obviously if their breath smells rotten you might have a problem.

My one cat who loves raw meat and will strip a chicken wing in about 3 minutes has perfect teeth. My kibble-lover has some buildup. Try out greenies and see if it helps their buildup. Also, try NOT using toothpaste -- cats hate mint smells -- and you probably don't even need it.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wrap the cat in a blanket/towel to prevent them from wiggling around.

Also, anything involving man-handling a cat is usually a two person gig.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    HK5HK5 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've done this with cats in the past and it is far from easy. Slow and steady is the best policy for getting your cat to accept the tooth brush. Try pairing the activity with something that your cat enjoys like grooming, petting, lap sitting, that kind of thing. If they start to squirm, don't try to force the issue but let them get up and groom or pet them again until they relax. At that point you can try brushing again.

Like any other trained behavior it's best to keep sessions very short initially, end on a positive note, and provide a lot of praise. Just do one or two teeth at first (the canines are a good place to start) and gradually increase the area you cover as your cat accepts the brushing.

It's a hassle but it will significantly increase your cat's chances at living a long healthy life. Bacteria from dental disease is often carried down in the gut and can contribute to heart and kidney disease.

HK5 on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just wanted to add that I've also never heard of brushing kitty teeth. Seems like it's more traumatic than just letting them do what comes naturally. For a second I thought the post was a joke, not that I'm saying it's wrong or anything just never something I've come across in the world wide Internets.

3drage on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Obligatory:

I have no advice here, but goddamnit my cat loves to sit her ass on my Xbox too. :|

riz on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    riz wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Obligatory:

I have no advice here, but goddamnit my cat loves to sit her ass on my Xbox too. :|

For my cat it's pizza boxes. While we're trying to eat out of them.

Our vet has mentioned brushing the cat's teeth before. We've done it once or twice, but it was enough of a hassle that we just stopped. Her breath doesn't smell above and beyond the ordinary, and the vet hasn't said anything about improving tooth care, so we're probably fine.

She eats weight control kibble, fwiw.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Our cats have gum problems, so the vet gave us a spray to spray on their teeth once a day.

Oh boy do they not like that. If we so much as pick up the bottle they hide.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This does not answer your question

But it could not be helped
    rrodcat.jpg

blakfeld on
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been told that it would be good to brush my cats' teeth, and pet stores will carry toothpaste made for dogs (beef flavor!) and maybe cats, but I've never tried to do it: I can't find a toothbrush small enough that it would do any good.

What my vet gives me instead are CETchews and dental treats, which help clean the animal's teeth when it chews on them. My cats really like the CETchews - one of them even chewed open the plastic bag they were in to get to them >_<.

I wouldn't worry about the bad breath, unless your cat has trouble eating, or its gums are inflamed. Considering everything they use their mouths for, it's a wonder they don't smell worse.

I've also used Feline Greenies, but I don't know if they have any effect. It's been long enough that I can't even remember if the cats ate them at all.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    blakfeld wrote: »
    This does not answer your question

But it could not be helped
    rrodcat.jpg

This will be the last of this in this thread plz.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't even believe you guys are having this conversation on whether or not brushing is good or not.

Animals in the wild don't live as long as housepets. It's something along the lines of a 3-5 year lifespan vs. 12-18 for a housecat. Do we humans need our teeth brushed? Sure. Would we notice poor things happening to our teeth if we only lived to be 20? Mmm, somewhat but not as much. It is a fact that buildup of plaque in the mouth can poison the blood and lead to kidney problems, even outright failure. This usually happens around 5 or so years in some cats.

Cornell School of Veterinary Science: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/Brushing-Your-Cats-Teeth/Brushing-And-Your-Cats-Health

Anyway, I've found stuff at local petstores. Most of it is geared towards dogs but will work for cats. One thing I have now is a little fingertip tool that you put on your index finger and brush.

Here are some steps to make it easier. First, don't go straight to the brushing. This'll take at least a week of prep work, maybe two:

Every day, approach your cat and calmly pet it then touch along its gumlines. It'll not like that at first, give it a treat and go away. Do it until your cat just lets it happen, which will take 5-10 days.

Now take a little of the special pet toothpaste and put it on your finger, let the cat smell it or even lick it. Do this for a few days.

Finally, you can try brushing your cats teeth. Let them smell and lick the toothpaste before you start. It'll smell and taste good to them. Then you'll want to put one hand on their neck and use the hand brushing thumb to open their mouth and have at it.

This strategy will make nail clipping and brushing a lot easier too if your cat hates those.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    At least with nail clipping you can wrap the cat up tightly in a towel, and pull out the paws one at a time for clipping. They can't fight back so good with only one paw exposed.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »
    At least with nail clipping you can wrap the cat up tightly in a towel, and pull out the paws one at a time for clipping. They can't fight back so good with only one paw exposed.

Very true. You could burrito them for teeth brushing too, but I like trying the nice slow way first. Lots of treats everytime they let you pester their gums.

For people who can't do this, they recommend 1 year treatments at the vet. They have to knock them out though so it's kind of a deal. I have one kitten that has been very resistant and a new three year old boy who I can tell will let me brush his teeth pretty easily.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Its also important to note, you can get enzyme toothpaste for cats. Basically it doesn't require brushing in the traditional sense you really just need to apply it. My cat is not a big fan of the brush, at all. If he sees it, he fights, and there is no such thing as burritoing a viking cat.

He doesn't however have a problem with my finger, so I usually start with tuna juice then switch to the toothpaste and massage it into his teeth and gums. Its not a fight, it doesn't stress out him or me and he gets his teeth done.

ransim on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    McGibs wrote: »
    wrap the cat in a blanket/towel to prevent them from wiggling around.

Also, anything involving man-handling a cat is usually a two person gig.

Like trimming claws. Two of my cats don't mind ('cause they know they get treats afterward) but holy hell the third puts up a fight.

Michael H on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »
    This is usually true, but we have one cat (of four), who looks petite but is apparently just a compressed hunk of muscle. Even the people at the Vet couldn't restrain her. She's usually nice, but when you try to do anything she doesn't like, she will try her hardest to kill you.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When I had a dog, I brushed her teeth from when she was a puppy. They were white, clean--she could've been in an ad for tooth whiteners. Then I went to college for a few years and my parents didn't brush them, and her teeth turned yellow developed plaque. So, yes, I definitely think brushing is a good thing.

The trick is convincing my cats of this.

I'm going to try OnTheLastCastle's approach . . . I just bought some salmon flavored toothpaste at the vet's, which hopefully will be a bigger hit than "malt".

LadyM on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Greenies work well because they are very coarse and do not readily pulverize, so cats will chew and chew and they'll help get their teeth clean.
    I was going to come in and recommend Greenies. For dogs or cats, they're great and worth the extra expense. Buy them online from Amazon or another retailer... they're overpriced at Petsmart. I usually give all three animals Greenies at morning before I go to work and at night before I eat dinner. Dogs and cats love rituals and it's a lot easier to sell them on treating than brushing. The dog will let me check his teeth, but the cats don't like letting me fool with their mouths/eyes/ears.

They'll let me trim their claws, but that's because I've never screwed up and they were trimmed since they were babies.

GungHo on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    actually dry kibble is better for teeth than wet food since the wet food gives no resistance. the cracking and scraping along the teeth is good for them.

we give our cats greenies as treats. never tried brushing their teeth but they don't really have bad teeth.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We fed my childhood cat mostly dry food and she lived to be 23 and still had white teeth, even though we'd never heard of brushing a cat's teeth. I'm sure mileage varies to a degree, but I don't believe all the horrible things that can happen to a cat if you don't brush its teeth are very common.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Greenies are not substitutes for regular teeth brushing. Once a year at the vet or try for weekly at home. This is fact.

Dry food in no way helps your cats teeth. That is a straight up myth promoted, surprise, by dry food sellers. However, greenies may help. I'm not quite clear on that.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=doesdryfoodcleantheteeth

OnTheLastCastle on