As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limiting my Availability at work

Nirvana PrinceNirvana Prince Registered User new member
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello there. I currently work full-time as a retarded shift supervisor at a retail pharmacy chain. I wish to attend college in the fall, taking one or two classes, but my dilemma stems from that I will have to go to my manager, and let he or she know that I will no longer be able to work 2-10, then 7-4 the next day on these two specific days.

Are there any terrible issues that could stem from changing my availability? I need my job to buy jelly beans for nutrients, but I feel so stagnant and silly just working retail.

Nirvana Prince on

• Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As a manger, having somebody change their availability is no big deal. Just ask your manager for a new availability form, explain your situation, and staple a copy of your class schedule to your form.

Odds are there is somebody else in your store asking for more hours who will gladly fill those time slots.

nakirush on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does your position require full open availability? If so, you might have to drop down a position to open up your schedule.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Labor law in your area might state that a full time employee has to be available for any time the employer requires. If you're on good terms with your bosses it probably wouldn't become an issue, but it is something you might want to be aware of in the future.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is going to depend entirely upon your job.

Technically, they can fire you for it. Few places would, but they could.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes they could. No manager/company worth a damn will fire their employee for wanting to better themselves and, by extension, become a greater asset to the company. Approach your manager and voice your concerns.

Also, to keep things fair to your company, consider which classes you are taking and what times they are. If you're only taking a couple classes, it really should not conflict with your work that badly.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Worst case, you get shitty hours. Do you want to still work and make decent money while attending college or are you fine in that department?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Worst case is you get fired. Retail jobs sometimes do that. It's easier to just hire and train someone new than worry about carving someone's schedule. I've known people who've worked at Walgreens with college hours before, though, so they might not care.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well yeah, that's the be all end all worst case. But while he's still employed the worst case is they drop his hours to either really weird ones or so few ones. Most of them will just cut out when you're at school and keep your schedule the same, maybe even asking you to keep your hours the same and just pick up the weekend shifts or whatever.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Worst case is you get fired. Retail jobs sometimes do that. It's easier to just hire and train someone new than worry about carving someone's schedule. I've known people who've worked at Walgreens with college hours before, though, so they might not care.

Some managers may think so, but those are people who should not be managers on account of their stupidity.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's a pretty irrelevant opinion you have. Pretty much all major retailers make a good deal of money on the fact that fluid, replaceable human resources are an easy to come by commodity.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Managers are different.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    That's a pretty irrelevant opinion you have. Pretty much all major retailers make a good deal of money on the fact that fluid, replaceable human resources are an easy to come by commodity.

I was under the impression that the OP is in some kind of low level supervisor/management position. Those cost more time and money to train up than a cashier, so usually they're not quite as expendable.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Nirvana PrinceNirvana Prince Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Heya, I am in fact low level management, I make 10.71 an hour. I am just in the state where I Would really like to slowly build up college credits, so one to three classes and trying to limit my availability for two days a week.

Though I dont want to get fired for it D; My manager does employ alot of college cashiers, but the other supervisor has three kids so is constantly either unable to change schedules or just calls in hours late and I cover constantly.

Nirvana Prince on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The biggest problem is that your boss might decide its easier to just cut your hours and give them to someone else than to rework the entire schedule around your availibility. Meaning you stand to lose a big chunk of hours per week.

That's going to depend a lot on your manager, though. Also depends on who else is working, what position they're in, how many hours other people want, etc. But limited availability is often just a pain in the ass and the manager ends up feeling disinclined to accomodate it.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Heya, I am in fact low level management, I make 10.71 an hour. I am just in the state where I Would really like to slowly build up college credits, so one to three classes and trying to limit my availability for two days a week.

Though I dont want to get fired for it D; My manager does employ alot of college cashiers, but the other supervisor has three kids so is constantly either unable to change schedules or just calls in hours late and I cover constantly.

The fact that you're not a bottom level employee and that you cover shifts constantly should make you more valuable than other employees and work heavily in your favor.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Snag your manager, tell them that you're going back to school in the fall and that you wanna move your schedule around so that school doesn't interfere with work.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png