Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Dungeon Siege 3 - Obsidian's action RPG (NSF 56k)

1313233343537»

Posts

  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    In more positive (and sweet) news Ex-Obsidianities are already looking out for those who were fired so hopefully the people that were fired get employed soon again

    http://www.facebook.com/roguezombie/posts/10150628199017933

  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Concept Art for the game by Julie Kim (From the looks of it, she did some charachter work in Stonebridge, generic females + Armor for Katarina/Reinhardt.)

    http://choupyart.blogspot.com/2012/03/finallysome-work-art.html

    DS1.jpg
    DS4.jpg
    DS6.jpg
    DS3.jpg

    C2B on
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You know, I have learned an important lesson recently: Check what you're buying when things go on sale. Dungeon Siege 3 is a classic example. I thought "Oh it's that dungeon crawler in the vein of DS that Obsidian made, should be interesting for the story at least" and for $19 AU (Xbox 360 version)? That seems perfectly reasonable while I wait for Witcher 2.

    Dear fucking god this game is fucking awful. Trying to play the long ranged character Katarina is like scraping a rusty razor over my chin at an attempt at shaving. Combat only barely works and has terrible mechanics, combined with my pet hate in RPGs with items filled with stuff you can't tell what the benefits of are easily "+3 retribution, oh really?". Not to mention it's wonderful doing a quest, then getting stuck talking to the idiot NPC I am going to have to put a bullet into anyway and instead of being at a long distance, be right in their face (because you know, CONVERSATIONS), only then to be instantly attacked by six enemies doing 30 damage each (while I have 120 HP) immediately when it ends. Better hope as soon as the dialog ends I'm quick on hitting the roll button to escape instant death! Thanks game!

    I mean I am 4 hours into it and just defeated Rajana or whatever her name is (long ceased caring at this point). Does this game at any point get less shit or should I just give it up now? I can't believe you can make combat mechanics this fucking bad. Seriously, just make the camera a fixed isometric one that gives you plenty of view of what you have to. Then use the current (utterly useless) camera controls for something useful, like being able to switch targets for lockon or similar. This would eliminate so much frustration it wouldn't be funny. But no, we need to be able to swing the camera around pointlessly and see 2 extra feet in front of the character.

    It practically ticks nearly every single "Bad RPG design trope" I can think of sequentially in a list: Poor lockon, difficult to determine what effects stuff does, every area feels like a 5 foot wide corridor, enemies are no fun to fight, obnoxious bosses (see "Conversation brings you 5 feet from their face when you're a long ranged character" issue above) and idiotic companion AI. The only thing, the ONE thing this game does even remotely well is the dialog and story - which seems very good for one of these kinds of ARPGs. Only problem is its put around an absolutely terrible - if surprisingly bug free - game.

    I have no idea if I should keep on going with this or just take it back in for my $19 back. I could buy some delicious pizza and some other things with that.

    I really should be careful of seeing games on sale for a cheap price and just buying them "Just because" in future.

    Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • LanrutconLanrutcon Registered User regular
    Aegeri: imagine impulse-buying DS3 after worshipping DS2 for ages.

    Imagine the pain, Aegeri. Imagine the agony.

    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Actually I really liked the original two games a lot as well, but for me it's not that this game isn't like DS/DS2 (that was self evident really from what I'd seen previous). It's just how immensely unfun and frustrating this game makes all of its combat mechanics. For example, you'll kill an enemy as Katarina, then attempt to kill another and watch as she shoots something off into the middle of fucking nowhere. Why? Because I need to move about 1-2 paces so it will switch the lockon to the new enemy that is currently humping my leg.

    I've almost had to train myself to shoot at something until it dies, then move unless the enemy died next to something else (because otherwise the games atrocious autolockon system won't decide to work).

    Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • LanrutconLanrutcon Registered User regular
    Sad thing is, later on you pretty much spend more time dodgerolling than actually attacking with her. The pistols get you raped (since you need to stand still to use them), so combat devolves to fire musket, roll roll roll roll roll, fire musket, etc. I finished the game and then moved on. It's much like Fable 3: a blech experience right up to the end and then you never want to touch it again.

    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    But...

    I liked Fable III. Even the ending had some good moments in it.

    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Combat only barely works and has terrible mechanics, combined with my pet hate in RPGs with items filled with stuff you can't tell what the benefits of are easily "+3 retribution, oh really?". Not to mention it's wonderful doing a quest, then getting stuck talking to the idiot NPC I am going to have to put a bullet into anyway and instead of being at a long distance, be right in their face (because you know, CONVERSATIONS), only then to be instantly attacked by six enemies doing 30 damage each (while I have 120 HP) immediately when it ends. Better hope as soon as the dialog ends I'm quick on hitting the roll button to escape instant death! Thanks game!

    oO Well, this left a bad impression on you. Little sad as it is pretty much the Obsidian game where I enjoy the combat mechanics the most of. I also loved the boss design (for the most part, except a certain battle towards the end)

    I'm assuming you are talking about the witch fight here and I didn't really have this happen (or I doged instantly in my previous playthroughs without realizing). I don't know if I should tell you to stick with it. Maybe reroll with Lucas or Anjali which may be more to your liking. Playing as Katarina gets hilarious though if you boost vamp. Using her Tier3 abilitiy *Flintlock Fury* is always a joy with the corridory design.

    C2B on
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's my pet hate in RPGs. Any game that forces me into a conversation, then leaves me in the middle of enemies with a squishy thief/mage/ranged type character infuriates me. Especially if the game doesn't give you an option of entirely avoiding the combat as a result. I was perfectly happy to shoot the crap out of her from outside in the corridor: But of course I can't do that and have to put up with getting stuck in dialog, then instantly raped by six doods (who weren't there before the conversation of course).

    It's just shitty shitty shitty design. No good game should ever do it, for any reason. It's inexcusable. It made what was actually a very simple combat after the first 30 seconds (literally) incredibly infuriating for no reason. If you're just going to force me into a fight, give them a box of exposition or some shit and let me get on with fighting them. At least the second main time the game did this it put me right up in front of a boss with predictable patterns and not in the middle of a bunch of instant gang rapists.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck the search for the means to put an end to things an end to speech is what enables the discourse to continue ~ * ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) excelsior * ~Registered User regular
    y u buy on xbox da fuq

    obF2Wuw.png
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Cause that's wher i put mah vidja games dawg

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • LanrutconLanrutcon Registered User regular
    But...

    I liked Fable III. Even the ending had some good moments in it.

    The PC version? Good god it's horrible. to be fair: opinions etc etc.

    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck the search for the means to put an end to things an end to speech is what enables the discourse to continue ~ * ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) excelsior * ~Registered User regular
    das crazy u dig

    im just waiting for the ds3 dlc that adds moar abilities and customisation and sheez, their last dlc was a very good example of how to do dlc right

    obF2Wuw.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's my pet hate in RPGs. Any game that forces me into a conversation, then leaves me in the middle of enemies with a squishy thief/mage/ranged type character infuriates me. Especially if the game doesn't give you an option of entirely avoiding the combat as a result. I was perfectly happy to shoot the crap out of her from outside in the corridor: But of course I can't do that and have to put up with getting stuck in dialog, then instantly raped by six doods (who weren't there before the conversation of course).

    It's just shitty shitty shitty design. No good game should ever do it, for any reason. It's inexcusable. It made what was actually a very simple combat after the first 30 seconds (literally) incredibly infuriating for no reason. If you're just going to force me into a fight, give them a box of exposition or some shit and let me get on with fighting them. At least the second main time the game did this it put me right up in front of a boss with predictable patterns and not in the middle of a bunch of instant gang rapists.

    Yeah, I can agree on that. The "cineamtic" converstations in the first place are one of my main critique points. It's especially weird because the same people worked on the excellent Storm of Zehir conversation system before. Atleast Obsidian now has a very negative stance on it.

    C2B on
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I just don't understand why you would ever do it in a combat focused game, unless you specifically gave characters an out or did the BG2 thing - where any character could talk to the triggering NPC. Though I do recall certain situations where your main PC would be teleported in front of an enemy for a conversation (Irenicus was a good example). It's just such an incredibly pants on head dumb design decision.

    Playing on I've completed the tomb of heroes and got to the swamp. The enemies here were considerably more fun than those previously (or my character build is starting to work out or something) and the camera (for a change) decided to let me see more than 3 fucking feet in front of me.

    If it wasn't for the story I would not be putting up with this game though. I really want to see if any of the decisions I've made thus far do anything interesting. Plus I really love how different characters are reacting uniquely to Katriana - specific dialog and I wonder if this makes any interactions easier.

    Edit: Rising above the sea of mediocrity is stonebridge. Glad I kept playing, this is by far the best part of the game right from the start of it.

    Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Every time I feel like I'm beginning to get some kind of enjoyment out of this game (like in Stonebridge) it comes along and shits all over it (I don't even know if this warrants spoiling, but whatever)
    The stupid fucking fight in the crypt in Stonebridge. Once again, WHY THE FUCK AM I PUT TWO FUCKING FEET FROM THE BOSS DUE TO A DUMB FORCED CONVERSATION? WHY? Oh yeah and he can instantly rush right off the bat and kill me (inflicting about 800ish damage). Fantastic.

    This game is bad. There is no argument that I will entertain that this is a quality game in any manner. It's outright bad. I am really amazed Obsidian could get this so incredibly wrong in every way, have they NEVER played Diablo before? Can you imagine being the Rogue in Diablo, then getting forced right into the Butchers face for a conversation and then instantly killed because your characters whole fucking point isn't to be in the face of the enemy where possible? Because that is what this game does.

    If I can't get any meaningful difference out of a conversation than combat, don't have the fucking conversation. Just have them say some witty banter over their heads or some shit. If it wasn't for blatantly bad game design decisions like this, there could be some actual fun to be found in this game.

    I cannot believe anyone would make a dungeon crawler and think teleporting you right into the face of a boss that can instantly one shot you is a good idea. It's a fucking stupid one.

    Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, this game seems to have hit all the wrong spots with you. Shame. :( While I disagree, I can understand. It just doesn't bother me nearly as much.

    Though, naming Diablo. Actually, Blizzard may disagree with you. Its pretty well liked over there to the point were the Lead Designer of DSIII was scouted and hired by them because of it.

    C2B on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I want a game where I can shoot an npc in the face during a conversation. That would be cool. Cutscene starts, I lose control of my character and the camera changes. The dialogue starts...and I press my mouse button to put a bullet in the annoyingly vocal boss because I don't give a shit about the plot in a fucking hack & slash game.

    Jeyne Kassynder.

    Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • LanrutconLanrutcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    <double post>

    Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The writing in Stonebridge is really good, it's the only thing remotely keeping me interested in playing this game anymore. But everything else is just awful. The combat controls are immensely clunky (rolling just feels unresponsive), the incredibly frustrating lock on system and really obnoxious boss design (nothing excuses the flaw I described above) are just making me want to take the game back for a refund. This is something almost entirely unprecedented for me in years. I can't even recall what the last game I bought I thought was so bad I returned it even was.

    Edit: Ironically, the only reason I am playing this is because I love the writing in Stonebridge and because of the plot. If it wasn't for the plot I wouldn't be playing!

    Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • LanrutconLanrutcon Registered User regular
    You are a better man than me. I gave up on the plot pretty early :P

    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    And right into another incredibly frustrating boss battle (mostly because the AI companion doesn't seem to understand what to do whatsoever). What's more is the game adds its final insult: Unskippable fucking dialog.

    It's just hit "Bad RPG design bingo" right to the moon with that.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    And right into another incredibly frustrating boss battle (mostly because the AI companion doesn't seem to understand what to do whatsoever). What's more is the game adds its final insult: Unskippable fucking dialog.

    It's just hit "Bad RPG design bingo" right to the moon with that.

    If you are so frustrated at this point just stop. You shouldn't try to finish the game (atleast on this difficulty level). There's a particular one towards the end that is much, much worse than what you've seen yet.

    C2B on
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    C2B wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    And right into another incredibly frustrating boss battle (mostly because the AI companion doesn't seem to understand what to do whatsoever). What's more is the game adds its final insult: Unskippable fucking dialog.

    It's just hit "Bad RPG design bingo" right to the moon with that.

    If you are so frustrated at this point just stop. You shouldn't try to finish the game (atleast on this difficulty level). There's a particular one towards the end that is much, much worse than what you've seen yet.

    I just spent about 45 minutes trying to win this boss battle against
    the Dapper Old Gent
    , getting to one hit on the last machine thing and then dying RANDOMLY to some one shot from nowhere (this game loves one shots from nowhere). Then the idiotic fucking AI companion sits there and does nothing (while on full health) until being obliterated as well. Bearing in mind it had all the time in the world to just wander over and res me - it wasn't under any huge pressure whatsoever. But nope, going sit here and wonder about the world until, OH WHOOPS I AM DEAD.

    Time to play something else for a very very long time before I touch this again.

    Honestly this game is the ultimate culsterfuck of bad design:

    Poor camera and Inadequate lockon (this fight is even the perfect demonstration of the games deficiencies in both areas - a movable camera SHOULD have been sacrificed for better lockon controls)
    Unskippable dialog before a boss fight: I cannot fathom this being remotely logical.
    Teleporting you right into a bosses face so he can instantly one shot you (or you get gang raped into oblivion by minions)
    The game controls horrifically - No, I don't want to shoot in the opposite direction to the creature murdering my foot.
    The AI companion is a complete idiot.
    Feels like a linear railroad, with plenty of walking for the sheer sake of walking.

    Okay, sorry for the ranting but I am done with this game. I honestly think this is the worst game I have played in the last few years - certainly the worst of its genre that I've played in a long time.

    Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I picked up the game a few days ago.

    The start is kinda slow. For some reason, I was expecting an achievement to popup to tell me I did something for the storyline. I wish this game could let me create a character instead of just picking one.

    Is there people playing this online?

    @C2B, do you know why Gas Powered Games decided to not make anymore DS games?

    XBL - ArchSilversmith

    "We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    @C2B, do you know why Gas Powered Games decided to not make anymore DS games?

    Focus on strategy acc. to Taylor. DS was pretty much a dead brand till SQ offered Obsidian the project.

  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Thanks, that's what I thought.

    XBL - ArchSilversmith

    "We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    Only game in the last few years I've disliked as much as this gentleman dislikes DSIII would be Too Human. So I understand :)

    steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My well of hate for this game is infinite, an endless pool of inky blackness that has no bounds in time and space.

    Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I liked it, and Kat was quite possibly the easiest thing in existence to play as. Even early on you could pretty much critikill murder anything in a handful of shots. If anything even got close to murdering you, you know you're already doing Kat wrong.

    Pow 4 digit criticals before stonebridge.

    steam_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    DS3 was something that grew on me. Progress was incredibly slow to begin with. I'd play it maybe an hour or two a night and took about 2 weeks to get to the end of the swamp. Eventually I just decided to put it back on the shelf and play a different game. But a couple of weeks (and MGS Peace Walker) later, I went back to it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I ended up playing straight through to the end in just a few days.

    Of the RPGs I've played this year I'd certainly say I enjoyed it more than Kingdoms of Amalur, which had solid combat but was bogged down by a boring world, dire story and incredibly repetitive dungeons. I can't say I enjoyed it more than FFXIII-2 or ME3 (sans series ruining ending) though.

    And yeah, Kat was incredibly overpowered. I couldn't believe how much easier it was when I played as her in my second playthrough.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I liked it, and Kat was quite possibly the easiest thing in existence to play as. Even early on you could pretty much critikill murder anything in a handful of shots. If anything even got close to murdering you, you know you're already doing Kat wrong.

    Pow 4 digit criticals before stonebridge.

    Try playing on hardcore, where everything can three shot you and most bosses can just outright one shot you. Combine with her ridiculously bad animations, which against say Jayne just instantly gets you killed and she is pretty fucking awful actually. Unless you like a lot of dodge, shoot (pray you end up firing at something) and repeat ad nauseum.

    But none the less I did it. I refused to let this crappy game get the better of me and I sucked it up, went back in and *somehow* beat the pants off the dapper old gent. What a shitty fucking fight that was, but I eventually did it through brute force and sheer skill. It was in fact oddly satisfying. Once I got my third focus point the game really became a lot easier, because I could spam the heart seeker shotgun like effect and actually have reliable healing.

    Oddly enough, the dapper old gent is by far the biggest piece of shit gameplay and boss wise in the game, nothing that came afterwards was even remotely as challenging (in fact, I reloaded a single time for the rest of the damn game, on hardcore!). Even Jeyne was comparatively simple and the final boss went down like a gigantic chump. But screw that old dapper gent fight, it is every single bad cliche and "how not to design an RPG boss fight" I can think of. Especially when you combine it with a game with this schitzophrenic controls.

    I have my hardcore achievement now and I know I will *never* ever have to play it again. Multiplayer is somewhat amusing at least, but I don't seem to get people who wait for others to choose dialog. So I feel those dialog achievements will be impossible to get.

    I will say, it's amazingly easy to find people to play mp with. That did surprise me.

    Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Beat this awhile back, defeating villains like Jeyne Kassynder. The game ended just when it was getting interesting,after dealing with Jeyne Kassynder. I feel like the fight with Jeyne Kassynder was just the first act. I mean, shit, Dragon Age is thrice the length of this.

    ....

    Jeyne Kassynder.

    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Okay, enough Pokemon talk.
    - You can call her Jeyne. Or Kassynder. FFS I can remember the villain's name.
    - Not enough variety in loot design.
    - Hella short.
    - The party really doesn't interact much. At all. I mean, compare it to Dragon Age or Mass Effect where the party banters and debates. Or, shit, even KotOR 2.
    - 2 person party limit? Fucking really? That's not a party. That's a buddy.
    - The game is pretty much about Anjali. The other three are fairly ancillary compared to her.
    - The Dapper Gent is some hot bullshit.
    - Game ended just when really cool enemies were appearing.

    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
Sign In or Register to comment.