As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeon Siege 3 - Obsidian's action RPG (NSF 56k)

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's really bizarre that all these ARPG's are coming out all of sudden. I just saw a trailer for another new one called "Path of Exile" or something.

Then you've got Iron Lore who are making another ARPG, Torchilght 2 is in the works, and I'm pretty certain there's one or two others besides. And that's ignoring the gigantic elephant in the room that is Diablo 3.

So I guess it's good that Obsidian are giving DS3 a more active and action based combat system. If it works out well then it'll help DS3 stand out amongst all the other ARPG's coming out in the coming year.

Well, that and the fact that IIRC, it's the only one of the lot that's also coming to the consoles.

subedii on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    It's really bizarre that all these ARPG's are coming out all of sudden. I just saw a trailer for another new one called "Path of Exile" or something.

Then you've got Iron Lore who are making another ARPG, Torchilght 2 is in the works, and I'm pretty certain there's one or two others besides. And that's ignoring the gigantic elephant in the room that is Diablo 3.

So I guess it's good that Obsidian are giving DS3 a more active and action based combat system. If it works out well then it'll help DS3 stand out amongst all the other ARPG's coming out in the coming year.

Well, that and the fact that IIRC, it's the only one of the lot that's also coming to the consoles.

More importantly co-op on consoles. Which should be a major distinguishing factor.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, if DS3 has local co-op, I might have to get it for 360.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Ok, if DS3 has local co-op, I might have to get it for 360.

It has local and online 4-Player co-op.

C2B on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sounds like a purchase. I'm always looking for co-op games to play with my wife. When's this thing supposed to release?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Sounds like a purchase. I'm always looking for co-op games to play with my wife. When's this thing supposed to release?

We don't know which quarter yet though.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Already on youtube for direct watch:

Looks great!

C2B on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Trailer is tight. If this gets out before Diablo 3 it could get some traction.

corin7 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yup, that sure is an ARPG

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I like how fluid the combat looks.^^

Also, the two parts in the trailer where they look over the scenerie.
    You can go to all these places according to the developers.

C2B on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oooooh, me likes that.

I wonder if the attacks are directional like in other action games, you hit left and attack, you attack left, hit right attack, attack right. It appears that way in the trailer.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oooooh, me likes that.

I wonder if the attacks are directional like in other action games, you hit left and attack, you attack left, hit right attack, attack right. It appears that way in the trailer.

The example for the Targeting system Nathaniel used was Ninja Gaiden 2. So, I think so. (Though I don't know how it works in that game)

And like said before it will be very action-y (Devil May Cry, NG, DW) like mixed with deep stats.

C2B on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is a cool visual style.

Xagar on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    Oooooh, me likes that.

The example for the Targeting system Nathaniel used was Ninja Gaiden 2. So, I think so. (Though I don't know how it works in that game)

And like said before it will be very action-y (Devil May Cry, NG, DW) like mixed with deep stats.
    Ninja Gaiden has, quite literally, the best autotargeting I've had the pleasure of playing with. I don't even know all the subtleties of it, but the general idea is that it soft locks onto the nearest enemy, prioritizing whoever is in the direction you're facing, and you can instantly and immediately override the soft lock by pressing the stick towards another enemy. Ryu also looks at whichever enemy is targeted at all times, which is something nobody really notices consciously, but it adds a lot to the predictability of that system. I'm honestly kind of confounded that Team Ninja can get it so right and nobody else in the industry has figured out how to copy it.

Honestly, though? The gameplay trailer hit me as very Too Human in design, except without that game's animation problems. The animation is giving me more of a PoP vibe. SoT and Forgotten Sands in particular. Quick slashes with long, thoughtful pauses in between. I'd really have to play it or at least see some extended gameplay to be sure, but I'm not seeing the Ninja Gaiden so much. Batman maybe, what with the look of the crowd control, but it doesn't seem to hit any of the tightness or precision that defines the Ninja Gaiden experience. It does have some of the same immediacy to all the hits, I guess, but that's a staple of all good modern brawlers of that type, from DMC to something like The Dishwasher.

Definitely looks like something in the vein of Too Human Without The Broken, so thumbs up there.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Oooooh, me likes that.

Ninja Gaiden has, quite literally, the best autotargeting I've had the pleasure of playing with. I don't even know all the subtleties of it, but the general idea is that it soft locks onto the nearest enemy, prioritizing whoever is in the direction you're facing, and you can instantly and immediately override the soft lock by pressing the stick towards another enemy. Ryu also looks at whichever enemy is targeted at all times, which is something nobody really notices consciously, but it adds a lot to the predictability of that system. I'm honestly kind of confounded that Team Ninja can get it so right and nobody else in the industry has figured out how to copy it.

Like I said I have no idea. Since the battle system itself with the stance/special attack combination is pretty unique so its too early for a conclusion on that. As for the targeting system we'll see, but it looked to me pretty good and honestly somewhat near what you describe (especially in the ninja chick scene).Well we'll see anyway.

C2B on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So kind of like Too Human except with deep stats, and combat that actualyl WORKS?

Consider me sold. I love the concept so much I even [tiny]liked Too Human[/tiny] even for failing at it.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The original Dungeon Siege was a fantastic game. The second one was also good, though it was not a big enough improvement imo. Space Siege was trash when it didn't need to be.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oooooh, me likes that.

Like I said I have no idea. Since the battle system itself with the stance/special attack combination is pretty unique so its too early for a conclusion on that. As for the targeting system we'll see, but it looked to me pretty good and honestly somewhat near what you describe (especially in the ninja chick scene).Well we'll see anyway.
    All autolock systems sound similar to that on paper. What separates a thorough system like Ninja Gaiden's from a simplistic one like God of War or DMC is in how it reacts conditionally. It's not something that will be apparent in a video. It can only be felt.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All autolock systems sound similar to that on paper. What separates a thorough system like Ninja Gaiden's from a simplistic one like God of War or DMC is in how it reacts conditionally. It's not something that will be apparent in a video. It can only be felt.

Best if I pick it up sometimes then.

Should I get Sigma or the original (Have both options)

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Best if I pick it up sometimes then.

Should I get Sigma or the original (Have both options)
    I haven't played either of the PS3 games.

Between Black and Sigma, the differences seem negligible. Sigma looks better and has a couple more weapons, but I don't know how the balance compares to Black, which is essentially perfect.

Between II and Sigma 2, I think I'd personally lean towards the 360. No idea what the consensus is on it. Sigma 2 replaced a lot of II's bullshit bosses, toned down the explosive spam, and smoothed out the framerate, but it also removed some gameplay systems (ammo, manual upgrades) and the gore censoring looks both dumber and less playable than the gore.

Also, come to think of it, Bayonetta had pretty great autotargeting, too.

Monger on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If by original you mean Ninja Gaiden: Black, then that's a good option. Sigma has a new weapon and some other changes, but Black is a fine game and not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be if you take the time to learn how to play.

Though if you don't it's basically impossible. The guy I first borrowed it from was so disgusted with it he told me to keep the game. He'd been on the first level, the training mission, since the day he'd bought it. He'd even unlocked the special ultra easy mode, which you get for dying like 20 times in a row. He could not beat the first boss. It was just never going to happen.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Murai is the best skill check.

Like, they should just stop calling them skill checks and start calling them Murais.

Monger on
  • Options
    vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Trayluh is shweet, bro. Combat looks dynamic, though some of the animations were a bit jumpy.

The graphics were much better than I was expecting, tons of detail on the characters.

I must admit I'm disappointed that they didn't use the epic (music) theme from the first two.

It was soooooo kickass. :(Epic win, Jeremy Soule.

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No offense, but one glitch wreck of a game is an anomaly, two is a pattern. I'll have to see how New Vegas does before giving this any serious thought.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    vader111 wrote: »
    Trayluh is shweet, bro. Combat looks dynamic, though some of the animations were a bit jumpy.

The graphics were much better than I was expecting, tons of detail on the characters.

I must admit I'm disappointed that they didn't use the epic (music) theme from the first two.

It was soooooo kickass. :(Epic win, Jeremy Soule.

mmmmmmmmm yessss

I used to have a copy of Dungeon Siege, not sure where it went

tofu on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Now I feel like re-installing Dungeon Siege 2 again. I never did beat it. I always got to the desert and then stopped.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ninja Gaiden and DMC3 had great combat engines, but I really did like Batman's a lot. I really enjoyed the attack/block/reversal/counter-attack fluidity it had. It was fun and pleasing to watch.

Prince of Persia would be ok I guess, but it was kinda start and stop at times and some of the animations were a bit clunky.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    vader111 wrote: »

It was soooooo kickass. :(

Agreed.

Sadly there has been no announcement who's doing the composing in the game as of yet. :(

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Doubt it's going to be Jeremy Soule, I don't think he's done game music for a while now.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Doubt it's going to be Jeremy Soule, I don't think he's done game music for a while now.

I hope they can reuse the the track from the older games.

@Monger Bought Black now. After that I will move on to the original NG2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpp7rkJnj8

Also for anyone who's noticed it. The stuttering isn't a framerate issue but very bad slow motion. Game runs sweet visible in the battle scenes.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Something else not shown in this video that Square Enix demoed was you can knock enemies into each other… from far away. In a media demo, a staffer at Obsidian knocked a monster off a cliff like a golf ball and it hit another monster across the chiasm.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/03/a-glimpse-of-dungeon-siege-iii-gameplay/

Ok, this sounds more awesome per message. But I fear RPG elitists and co are going to be butthurt over this game. It's such a niche title. Hell, even the art is some mix between eastern and western influences.

Though, this way it has a higher chance against Diablo 3.

C2B on
  • Options
    vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Something else not shown in this video that Square Enix demoed was you can knock enemies into each other… from far away. In a media demo, a staffer at Obsidian knocked a monster off a cliff like a golf ball and it hit another monster across the chiasm.

Yussssss
    Aaaargh my eyes just noticed the orange/blue colour scheme in the trailer and now I can't unseeeeee itttttt

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I stoped playing NWN2 when a conversation bug threw me into a loop that set the world to about 9 events early, didn't save for a while so I just let it go. That was some terrible coding.

But loved KotoR 2 with a passion so I did DS2, so I'm hyped :D

TheOrange on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If this is even 1/3 of the awesome DS2 is then I am goddamn psyched. I played the everloving shit out of DS2. Bosses on the last difficulty were cheap as all hell :D

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's amazing how different opinions regarding the dungeon siege games is. Some only like 1, some only like 2 and some don't like any of it.

I'm still unsure about the Stat side of this. I hope loot doesn't lose any importance because of the action gameplay. :(

C2B on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Dungeon Siege games weren't that stat heavy to begin with. And all the skills were passives.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    The Dungeon Siege games weren't that stat heavy to begin with. And all the skills were passives.

Yeah the great thing about Dungeon Siege was how it cut down on the chaff of the genre. Press of a button auto-collected all the loot, and you levelled up combat magic by throwing fireballs at things.

subedii on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    To be honest, I'm amazed anybody enjoyed DS1 at all. DS2 on the other hand is a much more interesting beast.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is DS2 available through any digital distribution service? I've wanted to grab it, but it's rather expensive online (e.g. at Amazon).

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]