As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Board Games - Arcana has pretty cards and it's a fun game!

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Played Alien Frontiers today. Wow, that's a lot of screw the leader! Once we started getting coloneis down, it was every turn, it's screw the leader and give yourself as many points as you can. Which means you're probably leader so the next person will now screw you. It can also take a while with a lot of analysis paralysis. But nowhere near like Dominant Species.

Also, drunk people make me wary with my games. D: If it weren't for sleeves, I think some cards would've been damaged already as they unsuccessfully tried to pick the cards up. I mean, it's kinda basic that you should try to pick the cards from the side, not from the top and bottom...

I played Claustraphobia yesterday too, after the Resistance games yesterday. Definitely one I want to pick up. I like how all these games are using these dice mechanics nowadays. Claustraphobia is basically a 1 vs 1 scenario based dungeon crawl. But you roll dice, and then choose how to assign them each turn. For heroes, that determines what stats your heroes will have for that turn (rolling high or low isn't always good, depending on what you actually want to do). While the Demon player generally tries to get different dice combinations to give abilities to their minions, with specific values to activate certain special abilities. Quite awesome. Especially with the painted minis.

And played and got my copy of 7 Wonders today. Hand-delivered by the store owners (since they were coming to the game night too). Now I just need the sleeves. (Damn you Mayday Games, hurry up!)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Timmy wrote: »
    I am dying to get The Resistance in time for my Christmas family reunion but I can't seem to find it in stock anywhere. Has anyone seen it for a decent price? Funagain games has it but the cost to ship it to me is $10! Slightly on the same topic, I'm so proud of how my family reunions have been going. They were all board game haters a few years ago but I've converted 33* out of 38 of them and now I get a lecture from my 87 year old grandma if I don't bring a large enough bag of games.

*I'm sure I'll be able to convert the other three once they're old enough to talk!

There's like 20 copies at my FLGS. I could buy and send it to you if you want. I have a coupon for free shipping from the store.

It'll be like $20 + ~10% tax.

If you don't mind a used version, I also have like 3 copies of the game. Or you could take an unused one whose cards were cut off-center. Your choice. :P

I greatly appreciate your kind offer and truly awesome Christmas spirit! I went to my FLGS (Actually, the place is pretty creepy, do we have an acronym for that?) for the second time this week and they had one copy on the shelf so I grabbed it. I can't give that store too much grief though, they've finally started carrying more than just Warhammer stuff. I even saw a copy of Lifeboats, which I thought was out-of-print, but I didn't pick it up because I like having friends.

Timmy on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Woo, got BSG + Pegasus in the mail. Now to nag at friends for a game evening.

your first time out, either play the base game or play with the pegasus board and the objective card from the base game, except with 10 distance instead of 8. the new caprica board is super boring and anticlimactic, and bumping the distance to 10 keeps things balanced.

In our last few games, New Caprica has been an incredibly tense situation.

But yeah. For your first game just don't play with Pegasus at all.

antherem on
  • Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Now I just need the sleeves. (Damn you Mayday Games, hurry up!)

No kidding. I'm willing to play it a couple of times sleeveless, but not much more than that. I got to teach it to my neighbor yesterday and he's intrigued.

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dracil (or others familiar with it), can you give me some more insight on Claustrophobia? I'm interested in a combatoriented two player game with a theme that will not turn my girlfriend off (BattleLore put her to sleep almost). We both love eurogames, but have had mixed success with more ameritrash games.

If anyone has any other suggestions out there, please toss them in.
    Requirements 1.) Interesting theme. We both enjoy more off the wall things. She has been so turned off by a few themes that they were traded almost instantly. Age of Empires, BattleLore, Attack!, Steam and a few others were tossed off the shelf because even if they were well-themed, the themes weren't that interesting.
    2.) 2 hour or less play time. We pretty much stop having fun at the 140 minute mark and if the game isn't about to wrap up, it usually wont see a lot of table time. BSG fell to this.
    3.)Rules light. I would define this as the number of times you have to look in the rulebook on your third play. While I certainly don't want a game with a ton of rules because it makes the first couple games boooring as hell, if a game can be easy to play on round 3 without constant looking-up-rules, it will probably work.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Claustrophobia is pretty quick to play (took me a little over an hour when both I and the other person were new to the game), rules light (have successfully taught it to my little sister) and beautifully crafted and themed. Think the Mines of Moria in board game form.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dracil (or others familiar with it), can you give me some more insight on Claustrophobia? I'm interested in a combatoriented two player game with a theme that will not turn my girlfriend off (BattleLore put her to sleep almost). We both love eurogames, but have had mixed success with more ameritrash games.

Requirements 1.) Interesting theme. We both enjoy more off the wall things. She has been so turned off by a few themes that they were traded almost instantly. Age of Empires, BattleLore, Attack!, Steam and a few others were tossed off the shelf because even if they were well-themed, the themes weren't that interesting.
    2.) 2 hour or less play time. We pretty much stop having fun at the 140 minute mark and if the game isn't about to wrap up, it usually wont see a lot of table time. BSG fell to this.
    3.)Rules light. I would define this as the number of times you have to look in the rulebook on your third play. While I certainly don't want a game with a ton of rules because it makes the first couple games boooring as hell, if a game can be easy to play on round 3 without constant looking-up-rules, it will probably work.

Besides Claustrophobia I'd see if she is interested in Last Night on Earth or Invasion from Outer Space. Both use the same game mechanics with only slight differences between them (though the themes are quite different). You either play Zombies vs. Townspeople or Aliens vs. Circus Folks. If you end up getting both they come with rules so you can mix the games in different combinations as well.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    We already have LNoE. Don't think I'm interested in Flying Frogs new alien game. The whole "carnies" aspect just turns me off.

I also don't think LNoE works that well as a two player game. An organized hero team is pretty much instant lose for the zombies. Like a real horror movie, the excitement comes when the group splits up and starts doing stupid things like "You guys go ahead, I'm going to go into the hospital to find a first aid kit!"

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

It's about an hour playing time. Rules are about as simple as I described it. For heroes, roll dice, assign them to characters, which determines what stats they have. There's only 3 stats, movement, combat, and defense. A die value that gives you high defense might give you a really low combat, and vice versa, and better movement will probably give you lower defense and combat. Each hero has a few abilities affecting movement except the Redeemer who usually has special powers he can use on certain die numbers, like choosing what tile comes up, or increasing combat powers to one character.

Combat is rolling your dice equal to your combat score and each die that's >= defense is a hit. Demon fodder minions just die in one hit. Their special demons are stronger but limited in number. Hero characters are more interesting. Each time they're wounded, one die choice is marked off. If they are assigned that die value in the future, they can't do anything. If a hero dies, that's one less die you get to roll. So as time progresses, the hero will get weaker and weaker.

Demon dice combinations are like one odd or one even, all evens, all odds, put dice equal to 7, 9, 11 or 12+, save a die for next turn, or put die that are 3+ to draw cards, get more threat points (for summoning minions), give your minions +movement or reroll dice or prevent hero movement, etc, deal one point of damage to any character.

There are about 5 or 6 different card types per side, so not too much memorizing there. These are things like a tougher minion, moving a character around, forcing a hero character to attack another, etc. I know hero cards have things like cancel a demon card or healing.

Demon spawning rules are pretty simple too. Can't contain a hero character, and must have an exit from the tile to an empty area (no tiles). Each side can only have 3 figures per tile. Some of the demon dice numbers will break that rule, e.g. letting you spawn directly into a tile containing hero characters, etc.

The scenario I played was heroes had to get through at least 10 rooms to get out of the dungeon. If they get 1 out, it's a draw. 2 out and they win.

There's one that's a preset map where the heroes need to get in the middle to kill a high health demon that can't move.

That's almost all of the rules actually, each tile can also have some special effects, like wide/narrow areas (1 or 5 figures in the tile), giving the demon more threat, giving the heroes a card, and so on. It really is quite simple and pretty well balanced, at least in the scenario I played. You will definitely read the rulebook on your third play, if only for the scenario setup though. As far as the actual gameplay mechanics, probably not after the first or second play.

Another game with an interesting theme/mechanism would be Catacombs. Dungeon crawl via flicking pieces.

Dracil on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

What about Dungeon Twister? Fairly straightforward rules for two teams of adventurers competing to escape a trapped dungeon (and/or kill the other team). BGG lists the playing time as 60 minutes, which sounds right to me. Expansions give further item and character choices and dungeon features, but are certainly not needed for the game to work well.

For something completely different, 1960: The Making of a President puts you in a battle for votes instead of direct physical confrontation. Takes about 90 minutes, has tons of theme (all the cards are events from the campaign) and is a lighter interpretation of the system from the very well-regarded wargame Twilight Struggle.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the information on Claustrophobia, guys. I'm probably going to ask my girlfriend to get that for me as a christmas gift since it sounds like something I can at least talk her into playing.

I have a Crokinole board so I am probably good on flicking games.

I actually just traded away dungeon twister and am trying to work out a trade for Dungeon Twister 2. I know they're basically the same thing. We both enjoyed dungeon twister the few times we played it, but neither of us ever requested that it hit the table. My thoughts on it were the mechanics were fun, but I didn't like the little cards or cardboard figures. DT2 addresses both of those issues so I am willing to try it out.

I've thought about 1960, but that seems like something that would fall into the same category as Age Of Empires. Great mechanics, but hard to get excited about. What are some of the mechanics that add tension to the game?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well I bought the Resident Evil: Deck Building Game tonight. It's a blatant rip-off of the best aspects of Dominion and Thunderstone, but it does it so well that I don't care. Plus, for $30, you just can't go wrong. Combine the elegance and simplicity of the rules of Dominion with the theme and extra mechanics of Thunderstone, add in 3 different game-play types (regular, timed mission, and pvp) and clothe it in the Resident Evil universe and you have a deck building game that is almost completely unoriginal, but fun to play.

After this, I will never go back to Thunderstone. I still love Dominion for it's simplicity and card variety, but Resident Evil manages to combine the best aspects of both almost effortlessly.

jabrams007 on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We're still liking Betrayal, but I'm worried the game will stop being fun once we've seen too many of the haunts.

And Wok Star continues to be hilarious.

antherem on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Won a 2-player game of Dominion online 100 points to 77.

Rabble is broken.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Excellent, there's a BGG iPhone app. Maybe now I can remember to update my game plays.

Echo on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In addition to Puzzle Strike I've started to play Yomi at the Fantasy Strike Web site. Boy howdy do I suck, but it's a whole heap of fun. So far I've only been playing the AI, just to get a feel, which I suspect is a very different game than playing against a live person.

The Yomi interface is much, much better than the interface for Puzzle Strike. I'm leaning toward purchasing the physical version of PS when it's rereleased, but maybe I'll go cheap and grab the print-and-play instead.

If you find yourself on the Web site, look for Gunshaw.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rabble is broken.

I've never played prosperity, but Rabble doesn't seem really broken... at least, unless someone has stacked their deck with gardens or something similar. Otherwise...you could end up with maybe 1 more VP card in your hand, and your deck gets cycled a bit (not a bad thing, in general).

I guess you could have a bunch of curse cards from a witch or something?

Anyway, please elaborate if you would- thanks!

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I got to play a bunch of new games on Saturday. Peloponnes, The Resistance, Fresco, Senjutsu, and Hansa, along with 7 Wonders and Acquire! Also got around to learning Aton (meh) and Architekton (neat). Woo!

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    RoadBlock wrote: »
    I got to play a bunch of new games on Saturday. Peloponnes, The Resistance, Fresco, Senjutsu, and Hansa, along with 7 Wonders and Acquire! Also got around to learning Aton (meh) and Architekton (neat). Woo!

I've had Fresco on my wishlist for a long time but have never pulled the trigger. What did you think of it, especially compared to other worker placement games you may have played?

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I liked it. It plays similarly to Leonardo DaVinci, and it's got some interesting mechanics for balancing the "taking your actions early versus taking more actions" decision. I'm absolutely wanting to play it again, and playing with all of the optional "expansions" that come with the game is definitely the way to go.

I really wish I knew how great this game was at BGG.CON, since the publisher was there and running a bunch of games all weekend.

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    El Skid wrote: »
    Rabble is broken.

Anyway, please elaborate if you would- thanks!

I would help if I said the right card:

Goons - Goons are broken, Rabble's nothing special. Goon's are crazy++ good. They are what allowed me to get to triple figures.

Okay, they probably aren't broken but I would but them even if they didn't have the +1 buy and I can't immediately think of any sets with Goons in where I wouldn't buy Goons if I had the chance.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I buy Goons on most boards, but something like no colonies, lots of incredible terminal actions and a very fast board might convince me not to.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    (regarding Fresco...)
    RoadBlock wrote: »
    I liked it. It plays similarly to Leonardo DaVinci, and it's got some interesting mechanics for balancing the "taking your actions early versus taking more actions" decision. I'm absolutely wanting to play it again, and playing with all of the optional "expansions" that come with the game is definitely the way to go.

I really wish I knew how great this game was at BGG.CON, since the publisher was there and running a bunch of games all weekend.

Bah! It's nothing like Leonardo DaVinci! Sure, there's action/role-selection...but even that is done differently in Fresco.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    50% One Item from Borders
    Hey fucking read me: Must use before 12/16, not usable online, and you need a to be a free Reward Member. Yes, most Borders have board game area. For example, mine has Small World, Forbidden Island and BSG. Your milage may vary, but it doesn't hurt to look.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I finally got around to buying Dominion (I chose Intrigue over the base game). I was waiting for a chance to play it with someone before I bought my own copy but that chance never came around, and it was on sale, so I gave in. I am very happy with my purchase. My first game was one of those "Where have you been all my life?" moments.

Timmy on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't do what I did and play 100's of games over a weekend. You'll get burnt out really REALLY fast. At least I did.

Try to limit the game to 3 plays max at a time. There was one night we played the game at least 20 times. Started around 6 and we didn't stop until 4 in the morning. We didn't realize how late it was until around 1.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Don't do what I did and play 100's of games over a weekend. You'll get burnt out really REALLY fast. At least I did.

Try to limit the game to 3 plays max at a time. There was one night we played the game at least 20 times. Started around 6 and we didn't stop until 4 in the morning. We didn't realize how late it was until around 1.

This man speaks the truth. When every game lasts 1-5 minutes (on my phone) you can play too much too quickly.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Anyone familiar with Bausack? I just traded a game for two copies of bandu the previous owner had combined into one big set to mimic Sac Noir.

This seems like the kind of game my group will love to play as a change of pace.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah there was a guy at pax with it, it was quite fun. This guy was unbelievably good and knew what pieces to stack to make even the egg stable, and every game had awesome "It stacked!" moments and funny collapses. It is also a great spectator game so even when someone is out they can still have fun.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Anyone familiar with Bausack? I just traded a game for two copies of bandu the previous owner had combined into one big set to mimic Sac Noir.

This seems like the kind of game my group will love to play as a change of pace.

Added to my wishlist. I'd love to have this as an alternate to the sometimes ubiquitous response to "Hey lets play a game" answered by "Oh lets play Jenga!" Groan. This looks way more interesting.

Dr. Face on
  • Options
    PixiStyxPixiStyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm just happy that Betrayal at House on the Hill has FINALLY been re-released. It's been out of print for years and the only copies I could find were going for $100 on Ebay. D= Looks like they fixed some of the rules typos, too!

PixiStyx on
    RLFhalf2-1.gif -A webcomic
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dr. Face wrote: »

Added to my wishlist. I'd love to have this as an alternate to the sometimes ubiquitous response to "Hey lets play a game" answered by "Oh lets play Jenga!" Groan. This looks way more interesting.

Does drunk rules Jenga count as something we can discuss here? :D

(Drunk rules Jenga: Each player writes an order on a jenga piece. Orders usually involve risque removal of clothing, performance activities, or general drinking. Toppling the jenga tower usually results in alcohol poisoning. Co-ed company recommended.)

Seriously, though, does anyone use Jenga for anything else?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sac Noir/Bausack seems pretty cool. The price for it seems quite steep though...

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Dr. Face wrote: »

Does drunk rules Jenga count as something we can discuss here? :D

(Drunk rules Jenga: Each player writes an order on a jenga piece. Orders usually involve risque removal of clothing, performance activities, or general drinking. Toppling the jenga tower usually results in alcohol poisoning. Co-ed company recommended.)

Seriously, though, does anyone use Jenga for anything else?

They make wonderful blocks for children to play with. :)

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The RPG Dread uses Jenga for conflict resolution instead of dice. Apparently it works quite well.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Bausack is a higher quality, with Sac Noir version being really big and nice and expensive. Bandu is the milton bradley version that was released a while back. The set has fewer peices than Bausack, but when you combine two it amounts to about one Sac Noir. Pretty please with it.

Pixi, you might want to hold off on getting betrayal unless you really want it. The current edition has a major problem with warping (well, most people do. mine only has one warped tile). The company said they were reprinting the cardboard on new material so it wont warp, but i havent heard anything else about it since signing up to get replacements.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What's the difference in quality? Maybe I'll try to find two Bandu's.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Bandu- All natural wood pieces, about 52 blocks in a set. Generally, "easier" pieces
    Bausack- white wood pieces and red colored "more difficult" pieces, about 75 in a set.
    Sac Noir- black wood and red pieces, and even more red pieces than bausack. about 98 pieces in a set.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh, hey, so that's what AEG's secret release for early 2011 was going to be.

Nightfall. (New deck-building game, except it sounds to be more focused on player interaction than "multi player solitaire".)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Twilight the card game, eh?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.