As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Texas Pre-PAX Meetup(s)?

TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
I think I had a connection problem when I posted this thread, so I somehow managed to create the thread without the message showing up... so now I'm reposting the original message as a reply to the non-existent original post. I think. :)

I've seen several threads regarding pre-PAX meetups, but I haven't seen any for Texas yet. That may be because Texas is just about as far as you can get from both PAX Prime and PAX East without leaving the United States... but there have to be a FEW other Texans on the forums who will be attending, right? If so, it'd be fun to meet some of y'all before PAX. I live in the DFW area, so logistically speaking, it'd be easiest to meet up with folks who are similarly located... but I wouldn't entirely rule out the inclusion of Houstonians and Austinites.

Anyone interested?

PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
Teletheus on

• swissyswissy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My husband and I are from Wichita Falls and plan on flying out of DFW. We plan on flying out thursday midday if you want to meet up prior. Think last year we met 3 or 4 pax goers that were getting on the same flight as were.

swissy on
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm flying out of IAH on the 2nd, if that's any help!

MelesMeles on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's some in Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. Dunno of any personally in the DFW area though.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, if you wall want to make it down to Houston on the 23rd, you can have a preview of the PAX awesomeness.

The Protomen are playing houston that night, and they are bringing ice cream. No...seriously

JonnyNero on
  • zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    While I'm game for this, the problem is that we're so damn big. You can get to another state up north by the time I got to Addison.

Jonny -- sadly I'll be in moved to NYC a week before your show.

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I could do Protomen on the 23rd of August. That would be great for a pre-PAX party for Houstonians.

I'm getting excited. I'm getting to do PAX all three days, opening to closing this year. In exchange, we do whatever my wife wants next year. Ready for a serious gaming bender.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It seems like the majority of the replies are coming from the Houston area, so maybe the Protomen show would be a good time to do something like this... except the 23rd is a Monday and I have to work that day. :) I don't mind going out of town, but it probably needs to be on a weekend. (That said, of course, there's nothing stopping the Houstonians from getting together at the Protomen show.)

swissy - My buddy and I are flying out Thursday night (since I have to work on Thursday), so meeting at the airport or something like that is probably a no-go. I was thinking something earlier than that; I suppose we could do a Texas meetup AT PAX if there's enough interest, but I'm thinking most people will want to focus on being at PAX while they're at PAX. :)

zombiebot - Austin might not be a bad meeting place, actually, for those who are so inclined. It's centrally located and there's a ton of stuff to do... but if you're moving soon, that may be a moot point unless you want to do it before the move (or unless there are other folks who would be up for making a trip to Austin for something like this).

Teletheus on
  • Red RaiderRed Raider Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Why don't you folk meet up here in Seattle? I would be more than happy to help out with location, transportation, etc. for a few fellow Texans.

Red Raider on
    Bear our banners far and wide!
    edited August 2010
    Now there's an idea (or "thar's an idear"). Any of y'all want to try to meet there? Maybe something on Saturday or Sunday morning? Definitely not early in the morning, but before noon. We ought to wait for the full schedule to make sure we don't conflict with any big panels or anything, but would anyone else be interested in that?

Teletheus on
  • VariVari Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Austinite here! Because I have classes, I don't think I can leave the general area until my flight... but if any of you will be in town pre-PAX, I am very very down for hanging out. ^_^

Vari on
  • TeknoMonkeyTeknoMonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Howdy folks. Fellow Houstonian and First Year PAX person to boot. I'll be flying out with a couple of family friends on the 2nd to the show and then see a bit of Seattle just afterwards.

@ JonnyNero Where's the Protomen going to be playing at in Houston. Even though it may be a Monday, since I work downtown, I might be able to make it over there.

Looking forward to meeting all of you either at PAX or maybe at the meetups.

TeknoMonkey on
  • DrakanwolfDrakanwolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Howdy folks. Fellow Houstonian and First Year PAX person to boot. I'll be flying out with a couple of family friends on the 2nd to the show and then see a bit of Seattle just afterwards.

After reading this, I thought, "that kinda sounds like the same situation as the buddy I'm going to PAX with." It wasn't until after I told my wife "We should see what flight that guy is on" that I looked at the username and realized you ARE the buddy I'm going to PAX with! :D

Welcome to the forums TM!

-DW

Drakanwolf on
    When there's trouble, you call DW!
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

@ JonnyNero Where's the Protomen going to be playing at in Houston. Even though it may be a Monday, since I work downtown, I might be able to make it over there.

Looking forward to meeting all of you either at PAX or maybe at the meetups.

Super Happy Funland, I'll also be playing taht show as well as MC Router

JonnyNero on
    edited August 2010
    Vari wrote: »
    Austinite here! Because I have classes, I don't think I can leave the general area until my flight... but if any of you will be in town pre-PAX, I am very very down for hanging out. ^_^

I might be able to swing a day or two down in Austin on a weekend, and I think I can convince my buddy to come down as well. Anyone else up for a pre-PAX meetup in Austin? It's just about equally inconvenient to everyone (except for those who live there, obviously :)), but it's a fun place to go do things.

Teletheus on
  • PythosPythos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Houstonite here. Flying out of IAH on the 1st. I am going to try to make it to Super Happy Funland on the 23rd but the GF's grandma just passed so I am not sure on our schedule for the next little while. If I/we end up going to the Protoman show I'll post here and try to meet up with anyone else headed there.

Pythos on
    PinnyPal Lanyard

azNQyjX.png

XBLA: Pythos07
  • R3cursiveR3cursive Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys, This will not only be my first PAX Prime, but also the end of my first week in Texas >.> Ill be leaving out of DFW myself after the work day. :) Looking forward to maybe seeing one of you guys

R3cursive on
    edited August 2010
    For those of you who haven't seen it yet, the schedule is up now. Who's interested in a Texas meetup for coffee/brunch/lunch on Saturday? I'm guessing a number of people will want to hit the Make a Strip panel, which is always popular, so we probably want to shoot for before or after that.
    R3cursive wrote: »
    Hey guys, This will not only be my first PAX Prime, but also the end of my first week in Texas >.> Ill be leaving out of DFW myself after the work day. :) Looking forward to maybe seeing one of you guys

Awesome. You're moving to Richardson? That's about 10 minutes from where I live. Are you flying out of DFW on Thursday? My friend and I are flying out around 7 PM.

Teletheus on
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Thought I already replied. Hmm. Anyway I live in Plano.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • swissyswissy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Saturday sounds great!!! My husband and I fly out of DFW 1:45PM on Thursday ( so we can get ourselves situated for barcrawling )

swissy on
    edited August 2010
    ElderCat wrote: »
    Thought I already replied. Hmm. Anyway I live in Plano.

Awesome! I grew up right around there. Are you flying out on Thursday as well?

Teletheus on
    edited August 2010
    No, it's cheaper to fly out Wednesday night, and I have friends in Seattle to stay with that night.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
    edited August 2010
    swissy wrote: »
    Saturday sounds great!!! My husband and I fly out of DFW 1:45PM on Thursday ( so we can get ourselves situated for barcrawling )

Anyone else interested in a Texas meetup on Saturday?

Teletheus on
  • stembystemby NASA Lead Internal Video Editor Houston, TxRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is my second year for PAX and I am going to play Seattle tourist this year. I fly out Monday the 30th. I check into the hotel I have for PAX on Thursday but will be staying near the Space Needle before that. I down for meeting up with anyone who wants to for: Beer, Food, Whatever.

stemby on
    edited August 2010
    Well my Sunday is going to be tied up with watching my Red Raiders open a can on SMEW but other than that I am down for anything Friday or Saturday. If anyone is doing the touristy stuff and wants some hints about what to check out while you are here let me know.

Red Raider on
  • BlitzmanBlitzman Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Three of us are coming from the DFW area (Fort Worth / Flower Mound / Plano) and would like to meet up for a beer or two somewhere along the way with fellow Texans! Ill watch this thread for more info.

Blitzman on
    edited August 2010
    Blitzman wrote: »
    Three of us are coming from the DFW area (Fort Worth / Flower Mound / Plano) and would like to meet up for a beer or two somewhere along the way with fellow Texans! Ill watch this thread for more info.

Awesome. My buddy and I are coming from the DFW area as well (North Dallas, to be more precise).

Right now, it's looking like a Saturday breakfast or lunch is going to be best for everyone (and avoid the most conflicts with popular panels and events). Is there anyone who wants to come that wouldn't be able to meet for breakfast at, say, 9-10 or for lunch around noon?

Teletheus on
    edited August 2010
    I am not sure yet, I will be enforcing, but I will keep an eye on this thread.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • R3cursiveR3cursive Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Teletheus wrote: »
    Awesome. You're moving to Richardson? That's about 10 minutes from where I live. Are you flying out of DFW on Thursday? My friend and I are flying out around 7 PM.

My flight leaves at 9 unfortunately, but perhaps ill see you at the meetup :D

R3cursive on
  • Terminal TartTerminal Tart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm flying in from the DFW area as well! I would love to do a meet up but Saturday morning is bad for me as I have a panel I'm on at 11 :(.

I'll keep checking back to see if this plan changes :)

Any of you are also welcome to hit me up on my Twitter ( www.twitter.com/tart) for any changes or additional meetups! :)

Terminal Tart on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    I'm flying in from the DFW area as well! I would love to do a meet up but Saturday morning is bad for me as I have a panel I'm on at 11 :(.

Which panel? Breakfast would probably be around 9 AM, and lunch would be around 12-1PM. I would think we could schedule either around the panel pretty easily.

Teletheus on
    edited August 2010
    I'm on 2, but one of them is a 2 parter, which the second half is on Saturday morning.

Friday, 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM, Unicorn Theatre
    The Myth of the Gamer Girl: True Demographic or Anthropological Hooha?

and

Friday, 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM, Pegasus Theatre
    The Community Manager Challenge

Saturday, 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM, Pegasus Theatre The Community Manager Challenge Part 2

Terminal Tart on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    And yeah! I would love to meet up, but I wouldn't wanna make anyone hassle just because of my schedule :)

Terminal Tart on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    And yeah! I would love to meet up, but I wouldn't wanna make anyone hassle just because of my schedule :)

Trust me, I wouldn't "hassle" for the sake of one person's schedule, but I also wouldn't call scheduling breakfast before 10-10:30 AM or scheduling lunch after 12:30-1 PM a "hassle." ;-) We can work around that.

Teletheus on
  • stembystemby NASA Lead Internal Video Editor Houston, TxRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    any one that wants to meet up shoot me a message and I will give you my cell.

stemby on
  • VariVari Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Colour me interested! I'll check with my group (also Austinites) to see if we can swing it.

Vari on
  • HershaHersha Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone one going on AA flight #1255 at 4:30PM out of DFW on Thursday?

Hersha on
    edited August 2010
    I wish!!!! Mine's hella early....

Terminal Tart on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    Hersha wrote: »
    Anyone one going on AA flight #1255 at 4:30PM out of DFW on Thursday?

I'm not flying out until around 7 PM. You want to join us for the Saturday Texas meetup anyway? :)

Teletheus on
    edited September 2010
    I am going to look into a place to meetup saturday morning that won't be packed with college football fans or hippies(Bumbershoot is this weekend too).

For those of you who will be around saturday night talk to the folks at your favorite booths. They might be having developer parties they will let you go to. I will be attending one if I can get a wingman(or shedevil) as my normal partner in crime is flying to Ireland for business saturday morning and the only thing sadder than having to mustang a party is mustang'in a nerdgasm!

Red Raider on
  • HershaHersha Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WTF they moved my flight up an hour 2 days before the flight leaving at 3:30 now. Anyway any more talk about a more locked down time fore the meetup? I'm going to the crumpet thing for breakfast on saturday, but I'll come and hang out anyways. Maybe +1 or 2 if my friends are up.

Hersha on
This discussion has been closed.