As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New custom built PC, takes a little time to boot?

Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS!I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've just had my new PC built a week ago, been running fine so far with no real serious issues, except one little thing

To start up my computer, I push the power button, it does nothing for about 5 seconds, and then the LEDs come on and everything comes to life. It hasn't caused any real issues, and the person who put it together for me told me it's how my motherboard works and I shouldn't really be worried about it, but is there anything that could be causing it to not power up automatically?

I'm running on an MSI H55M-ED55 motherboard paired with an Intel Core i5 650 and an ATI HD Radeon 5770 video card. my PSU is a Earthwatts 500W which came with my Antec case, which I've asked about here before and was told it was an adequate supply.

TLDR: computer takes about 5 seconds before LED lights come on and it starts to boot, no problems after that, but what could be causing it?

Niceguyeddie616 on

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do you cut off the power from it when you turn it off? For example, unplug it from the wall.

My computer does this exact same thing if I turn the voltage regulator off. If I keep it plugged it doesn't stay idle for 5 seconds. My computer seems to initially read BIOS settings before booting up, so that's why it takes a few seconds for fans/LEDs to turn on.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nope, I just shut Windows down and it does the rest. It's plugged into a surge protector, and that's pretty much always on and plugged into the wall.

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do the fans and everything spin up? Or does nothing at all happen? I've been having a similar issue with my box for awhile now, though in my case it will fire the cpu and video card fans full blast, or sometimes not at all, and 10-30 seconds later emit the "post" beep and start up. I've replaced the video card, ram, and mobo since it started happening and nothing has changed the behavior. I suspect either the processor chip itself is somehow damaged or it's my power supply. And I'm leaning towards the power supply. Power supplies that come with the case are pretty frowned upon in my experience. You might try getting the person who built it to loan you a different PS to troubleshoot with if it's really bothering you.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Check your bios, look for options like "Scan _____ on Boot" or "Test _____ on Boot" and disable them. If you find something like "Speed/Quick/Fast Boot", enable it.

Some motherboards do their hardware tests before post, some after. Normally, if you don't get any ear splitting, screeching beeps on start up, then it's either not a motherboard problem, or it's inherent to the motherboard.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've seen how it boots with the case open, the case fan starts spinning the minute the button is pressed, but nothing else starts up until about 5 seconds later. After that, everything starts up and windows starts to boot.

I'm wondering if this is related to a similar problem I had earlier in the week. Windows used to default to go into sleep mode after being idle for too long. I turned this off after I went out to see a movie, came back, and noticed I couldn't wake my computer up. I then hit the power button to get it out of sleep mode, and it started up and told me windows recovered from an improper shut down. A little research told me this varies from certain computers, and sleep mode works better if you have a laptop but I dunno. Could it be a power supply problem? That's the only thing I can think of other than the motherboard, and the motherboard has been running just fine. I'm a little confuzzled here. :?

Niceguyeddie616 on