As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic - 7/30/10 - Blood And Oil: Part 4

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    What the hell does that have to do with the comic?

This comic is seriously wonderful. The most I've been engaged by any pa property in memory. Hire the team to produce a graphic novel, Khoo. Do not hesitate.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would gladly order a copy of this graphic novel and give Khoo and the Gang monies in exchange.

Hunter on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't remember, were they already private dicks in the original comic? So this would be like an origin story?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Geek wrote: »
    I don't remember, were they already private dicks in the original comic? So this would be like an origin story?

Yes, this takes place three years prior

Straightzi on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh yeah, Carl was getting razzled by the cops in the first page.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh shit, oh shit. This is gettin' intense.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This comic is fucking excellent. I heartily approve.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So awesome.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    I would gladly order a copy of this graphic novel and give Khoo and the Gang monies in exchange.

Agreement is here.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this is so wonderful

Langly on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh damn, I love the way this is coming together!

Ten on
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    maaan this guest strip has been like having eminem feature on your song

Are you being ironic, insulting, or misinformed?

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    CakeinaBoxCakeinaBox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, that cements it. I would buy this.

Then I would buy copies for all my friends, family, and random strangers that I've never talked to before.

I really love this though. Has all the right emotion, all the right lines, really great artwork. Yes. Graphic novel. Do this.

CakeinaBox on
    Needs more Alan Alda.
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Love this

Usagi on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    AM I the only that really just doesn't care for when they go off on artistic tangents with the strip?

I enjoy the simple lines, the simple jokes, the simple humor.

I just do not really get into stories about noir robots, or overly cute boy scouts, or ridiculous samurai with cardboard weapons. Maybe thats just me.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man.

I really hope the guys at PA take all the long form strips (Paint the Line, Lookouts, A Boy Must Learn, Automata, this) and package them in a comic book and sell it to me for whatever they want to charge.

I want this on my bookshelf, and while prints are great, it's not quite right for being able to pick it up and peruse it.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    The InfraThe Infra Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man what is it that when some local cops have a case and it's too big they fear or don't want the feds to take over? I've seen this in many movies, tv shows, books, comics, etc. The more normal cops would be glad they don't have to deal with a bigger-than-life case and have a tranquil and easy job.

I get that these are fictional cops and they have a sense of justice or they need to solve the case for whatever, but I always feel that a cop not wanting a case to go to the feds "just because they'll take over" is dumb

The Infra on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    @Stale: Yeah, it's just you.

@Infra, yeah it's probably just fiction. I mean, from a character's view, I can see getting attached to a case and wanting to see it through to the end, and thinking nobody can handle it as well as you because they don't know it like you do. Plus with the local cops in all those stories there's always the sense that feds can't do anything right, or they'll be influenced, or something like that.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    I want like... a heavy rain style game done against the Automata backdrop. I would pay any amount of dollars, rape or us.

Grath on
  • Options
    gwhittagwhitta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You have to remember also that this is in the very early days of the FBI, before it was even called that (back then it was just the Bureau of Investigation), when a lot of people and even cops were very skeptical about this new agency and all the power they had.

gwhitta on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    The Infra wrote: »
    Man what is it that when some local cops have a case and it's too big they fear or don't want the feds to take over? I've seen this in many movies, tv shows, books, comics, etc. The more normal cops would be glad they don't have to deal with a bigger-than-life case and have a tranquil and easy job.

I get that these are fictional cops and they have a sense of justice or they need to solve the case for whatever, but I always feel that a cop not wanting a case to go to the feds "just because they'll take over" is dumb
    I think you missed the entire point, he's more pissed off about losing Carl than anything.

Grath on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    maaan this guest strip has been like having eminem feature on your song

I could not agree more!

(Because when he's featured on a song he totally steals the show and blows away whatever the original artist was saying on it. For those of you who don't seem to get it.)

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Grath wrote: »

I think you missed the entire point, he's more pissed off about losing Carl than anything.

No no, I saw that, but he said he's upset about losing the case before being told that they are taking Carl away

The Infra on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You can put it where the sun don't shine, sir!
    My favorite is when Dirty Harry turned in his badge - "it's a six-pointed suppository!"

gwhitta on
  • Options
    Faceless CowardFaceless Coward Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So Regal owns KR-L now? Oh the undertones!

Faceless Coward on
    newsigpa4xj.jpg
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Stale wrote: »
    AM I the only that really just doesn't care for when they go off on artistic tangents with the strip?

I enjoy the simple lines, the simple jokes, the simple humor.

I just do not really get into stories about noir robots, or overly cute boy scouts, or ridiculous samurai with cardboard weapons. Maybe thats just me.

Honestly, even if you don't like these, it's a good idea to appreciate them for a totally different reason. Giving Gabe + Tycho a week "off" while they do something totally different and fun or just have someone else do them means they're less likely to burn out. Which means higher quality strips of simple lines, simples jokes and simple humor for all of us.

I personally love this sort of thing, but even if you don't, which is cool, they do serve a useful purpose. Dudes gotta be taking breaks yo.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Should we make an automata graphic novel" should be a poll in the poll forum. Answers of "yes" should be considered legally binding agreements to purchase it. Also, "no" should be the same agreement.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2010

It's a trope.

Tropes are storytelling devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JurisdictionFriction

Edit: See also: http://www.theonion.com/articles/local-authorities-more-than-happy-to-let-fbi-take,5676/

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ramius wrote: »

It's a trope.

Tropes are storytelling devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations.

Edit: See also: http://www.theonion.com/articles/local-authorities-more-than-happy-to-let-fbi-take,5676/

I know! I was just pointing out, like most tropes, they are dumb and should be avoided whenever possible unless it's vital to the story.

The Infra on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There also this Infra.
    gwhitta wrote: »
    You have to remember also that this is in the very early days of the FBI, before it was even called that (back then it was just the Bureau of Investigation), when a lot of people and even cops were very skeptical about this new agency and all the power they had.

edit: Once again this is excellent stuff.

101 on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wow great page. I am LOVING this story.

Dammit someone better make this into an ongoing webcomic or a comic book series. I'll buy ten.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goddamnit this shit is splendid.

And these comics are fantastic.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It's a trope.

I know! I was just pointing out, like most tropes, they are dumb and should be avoided whenever possible unless it's vital to the story.

You're thinking of cliches.
    On the whole, tropes are not clichés. The word clichéd means "stereotyped and trite." In other words, dull and uninteresting. We are not looking for dull and uninteresting entries. We are here to recognize tropes and play with them, not to make fun of them.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    101 wrote: »
    There also this Infra.

edit: Once again this is excellent stuff.

I don't think that applies, since we are talking about a fictional world with sentient and free-willed robots. Real world stuff doesn't apply necessarily unless it's mentioned or implied in the story.

Maybe the FBI have better robots that make them reliable. Or maybe they are the principal opponents of working along with robots. Or maybe there thousands of other situations because of this deviation for reality.

The Infra on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

It's a trope.

You're thinking of cliches.
    On the whole, tropes are not clichés. The word clichéd means "stereotyped and trite." In other words, dull and uninteresting. We are not looking for dull and uninteresting entries. We are here to recognize tropes and play with them, not to make fun of them.

You know, I thought of this very same thing after I posted that. And the "stereotyped and trite" part is very important in differentiating both, and I think this is the case, since my first post about the subject I implied that very same thing

The Infra on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Actually it's the opposite - real-world stuff DOES apply unless the story specifically tells you that the deviations caused by the emergence of automata have changed things. You can assume the FBI in this story is the same as the one in the real world unless we make a point of saying otherwise.

gwhitta on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this needs to be longer

Fuga on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    man, this is so cool.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuga wrote: »
    this needs to be longer

This needs to never ever stop.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Actually it's the opposite - real-world stuff DOES apply unless the story specifically tells you that the deviations caused by the emergence of automata have changed things. You can assume the FBI in this story is the same as the one in the real world unless we make a point of saying otherwise.

Well I didn't know the specific details of the reception the public and govt offices had when the FBI was created so for me that line just brings in an unnecessary extra amount of context which apparently brings nothing to the story or characters.

The Infra on
This discussion has been closed.