As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[futurama] "almost ten deliveries per year!"

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Fry: "So what was the point of life?"
    Farnsworth: "I don't know. Some hogwash about the human spirit or something."
    Fry: "Yeah, that sounds about right."
    I thought he might say:
    "Sapient Life has the potential to be a reverse-entropic-force".
    Just as a nod to Isaac Asimov, but that line was funnier/snappier I guess. :)
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Futurama has the best songs.

Oh, those crafty giraffes with their long, slender, [strike]sexy[/strike] necks.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    I just thought of something:
    When Fry, Bender, and the Professor finally arrived at the right point in the third universe, that universe's versions of them were about to get in the time machine. What about the Fry, Bender, and Professor Farnsworth from the second universe? Did they travel in time and end up in the fourth universe?

someone in the previous thread fanwanked that:
    because hitler was killed early in that timeline, the professor was never compelled to develop time travel.

of course,
    universe 2's time travelers could have ended up in universe 4

also, that guy in the episode with Paulie Shore?
    the one that thought time was cyclical? he was pretty much right, apparently
    "universe 2's time travelers could have ended up in universe 4" is right. Every universe just shifts forward 2 universes. 1->3, 2->4, 3->5, ..., infinity -> infinity + 2

I don't think the group from 3 are going anywhere.

President Rex on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    I just thought of something:
    When Fry, Bender, and the Professor finally arrived at the right point in the third universe, that universe's versions of them were about to get in the time machine. What about the Fry, Bender, and Professor Farnsworth from the second universe? Did they travel in time and end up in the fourth universe?

someone in the previous thread fanwanked that:
    because hitler was killed early in that timeline, the professor was never compelled to develop time travel.

of course,
    universe 2's time travelers could have ended up in universe 4

also, that guy in the episode with Paulie Shore?
    the one that thought time was cyclical? he was pretty much right, apparently
    "universe 2's time travelers could have ended up in universe 4" is right. Every universe just shifts forward 2 universes. 1->3, 2->4, 3->5, ..., infinity -> infinity + 2

I don't think the group from 3 are going anywhere.
    They might if the tide comes in before Bender finishes shoveling.

yalborap on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    if we assume that the original universe, is in fact the real original universe, and none had come before it, that would explain why no fry bender and professors from 2 universes previous came back to Leela and left her all lonely. There were no previous universes.

If there were previous universes, then leela never would have had fry dissapear and grow up running the company and leave the message in the cave.

Therefore, time is not cyclical. If it was cyclical, then Leela never would have been left alone right?

now i've confused myself.

NotYou on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    NotYou wrote: »
    if we assume that the original universe, is in fact the real original universe, and none had come before it, that would explain why no fry bender and professors from 2 universes previous came back to Leela and left her all lonely. There were no previous universes.

If there were previous universes, then leela never would have had fry dissapear and grow up running the company and leave the message in the cave.

Therefore, time is not cyclical. If it was cyclical, then Leela never would have been left alone right?

That only assumes that no universes were skipped over. We can't make that assumption since they skipped Universe 2.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One thing that's kind of a downer when you think about it;
    The Leela that has been around for the entire series so far lost Fry forever and ended up alone.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

That only assumes that no universes were skipped over. We can't make that assumption since they skipped Universe 2.

i'm gonna keep this in spoilers just in case.
    They skipped over universe 2. But the group from universe 0 would have gone to it. (unless universe 1 is the actual first universe.)

Assuming time is cyclical, none were skipped, right?

NotYou on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mostly blue -dotting the new futurama post, but also, I'm getting sadder and sadder as I discover more and more that have no idea the Futurama song was a parody of an old 60's tune. ( Both of which have been stuck in my head since air!)

Grooveshark link for original In the year 2525

And someone mentioned finding the audio version for futurama's version on youtube, link plspls?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like that this show can make me laugh and my brain hurt with talk of paradoxes at the same time. How many other shows on TV can do that?

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

They skipped over universe 2. But the group from universe 0 would have gone to it. (unless universe 1 is the actual first universe.)

Universe 0/minus one might have had minutely differing initial conditions, perhaps making the operation of a time machine impossible. Also why they ended up in the air and landing on themselves, the Fine Structure Constant could be subtly different through iteration. 8-)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

no,
    time is cyclical over 4 universes

universe 1 goes to universe 3
    universe 2 goes to universe 4
    universes 3 and 4 are crushed by universes 1 and 2 respectively

repeat as needed

the end results being that in the 1st and 2nd universes of each set, fry, professor, and bender disappear, and in the 3rd and 4th, the native copies are crushed

in this way, the natives of universe 0 and -1 were crushed by the travelers from universe -2 and -3, respectively

Joolander on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    come again.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

no,

universe 1 goes to univers 3

repeat as needed

the end results being that in the 1st and 2nd universes of each set, fry, professor, and bender disappear, and in the 3rd and 4th, the native copies are crushed
    Thanks for that. You're clearing this up for me.

Now question: Is there a hitler in the universe that fry ends up in at the end?

Based only on our main character's actions we have:
    Universe 1: both hitler and roosevelt alive
    universe 2: no hitler
    Universe 3: no roosevelt
    universe 4: no changes

However the universe 2 group kills hitler in universe 3 and roosevelt in universe 4. So we have:
    Universe 3: no roosevelt no hitler
    universe 4: no roosevelt

So farnsworth gets his wish of no hitler in the past. I feel that, time should have been altered more for this universe.

NotYou on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm sad they didn't have more of the previous episode references in the time travel through the beginning of Earth.

And that they didn't do anything crazy with the destruction of that fish-amphibian.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

no,

universe 1 goes to univers 3

repeat as needed

Thanks for that. You're clearing this up for me.

Now question: Is there a hitler in the universe that fry ends up in at the end?

Based only on our main character's actions we have:
    Universe 3: no roosevelt
    universe 4: no changes

However the universe 2 group kills hitler in universe 3 and roosevelt in universe 4. So we have:
    Universe 3: no roosevelt no hitler
    universe 4: no roosevelt

So farnsworth gets his wish of no hitler in the past. I feel that, time should have been altered more for this universe.
    there was still a hitler and an eleanor roosevelt, they just died slightly sooner :P

Joolander on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wonder, does anyone know why on the original Futurama Volumes on DVD they only fit 4 episodes per DVD? I mean, it is only a 25min show.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I wonder, does anyone know why on the original Futurama Volumes on DVD they only fit 4 episodes per DVD? I mean, it is only a 25min show.
    AFAIK it's because they're made according to production block, since they typically work on multiple episodes at the same time.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This episode reminded me of The Last Question. Was really hoping for a robotic "let there be light" or a multivac reference.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the fact that people here are trying to find a way so that fictional characters in an animated show don't get a sad life is proof that Futurama is one of the best shows ever.

Julius on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This episode reminded me of The Last Question. Was really hoping for a robotic "let there be light" or a multivac reference.
    Me too.:^: But at least they demonstrated that the Universe iterates (unless it was something they did that shifted Earth's orbit).

Actually that's the biggest problem with (the idea of) a stationary time machine - it can't stay still, it has to be co-moving, at least if you want to be on Earth while you travel (phasing through solids means you must keep up with motion of the Sun and Earth). And a time machine that only takes you forwards the easiest to do.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Leela that has been around for the entire series so far lost Fry forever and ended up alone.

You're assuming that universe we have been following was the first one. Odds are another Fry (for convenience sake lets say from universe -1) took up the mantle.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

This was pretty common, and still is to a degree with movie sets. I think it has to do with the audio tracks more than the video, to be honest. Keep in mind that the disks have quite a few audio tracks on top of the standard.

And for the later seasons they did 5 a disk.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think the other aspect is the question "How few discs can we possibly have" - and then spreading the episodes evenly among those discs. You wouldn't want to have 1 episode on the last disc unless there was a crap load of special stuff on it. Even then, getting out one disc for one episode would be convenient.

No wait, that other thing... tedious.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

You're assuming that universe we have been following was the first one. Odds are another Fry (for convenience sake lets say from universe -1) took up the mantle.
    But we saw her alone. So he didn't.

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

But we saw her alone. So he didn't.
    that doesn't mean her universe wasn't retconned by a Fry suddenly arriving in it.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How long do you think it'll be before we see a "timeline" for Futurama, incorporating BBS and this ep?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Me too.:^: But at least they demonstrated that the Universe iterates (unless it was something they did that shifted Earth's orbit).

Actually that's the biggest problem with (the idea of) a stationary time machine - it can't stay still, it has to be co-moving, at least if you want to be on Earth while you travel (phasing through solids means you must keep up with motion of the Sun and Earth). And a time machine that only takes you forwards the easiest to do.

Motion is relative, so defining motion against the location of the time machine should do the trick.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    People the real question here is that now we're +2 universes forward in time, what has become of the cowboy hat universe?

override367 on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    People the real question here is that now we're +2 universes forward in time, what has become of the cowboy hat universe?

They've become more accurate and started wearing bowlers.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Actually that's the biggest problem with (the idea of) a stationary time machine - it can't stay still, it has to be co-moving, at least if you want to be on Earth while you travel (phasing through solids means you must keep up with motion of the Sun and Earth). And a time machine that only takes you forwards [is] the easiest to do.

Motion is relative, so defining motion against the location of the time machine should do the trick.
    You mean starting location? Using a known Galactic Centre would probably be a better reference frame... :P

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this entire time travel discussion is why I <3 futurama. they did a nice job of tidying enough up to have specifics, but left enough vague for us to argue about.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, a theory on some of the eras:
    The women with the backwards time travel aren't an evolution straight off Earth people. The tiny geniuses/giant idiots wiped eachother out, spacer men did the apocalypse thing, and then Amazonians populated the planet with the last few remaining ones. By the year 50 million or whenever it was, they'd lost their...Amazonnyness.

yalborap on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I want to watch some Hypnotoad on Ice

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    wanderlikewanderlike Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

They've become more accurate and started wearing bowlers.

We can only assume parallel Bender is still lording his cowboy hat over the original one, only ten feet lower than originally. :mrgreen:

wanderlike on
    More nerd than you'll ever need. Period.

http://www.thenerdempire.net
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the dot is now blue.

Also, really, I love this show. I think this probably was one of the best episodes at least of the new ones, if not ever.

It seems like Futurama is one of a few shows that -really- does time travel well.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I liked the episode a lot more on second viewing. It's very, very pretty. Like even the early morning establishing shot of Robot Arms at the beginning is gorgeous.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    wanderlikewanderlike Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I liked the episode a lot more on second viewing. It's very, very pretty. Like even the early morning establishing shot of Robot Arms at the beginning is gorgeous.

Hmmm. I noticed that, too. I can't really explain it, but a lot of things in the episode seemed more visually...significant for some reason.

wanderlike on
    More nerd than you'll ever need. Period.

http://www.thenerdempire.net
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You have to remember that each universe has different things going on.
    remember in the first universe we see, hitler lived he didn't in 2, and in 3 elenor died. Maybe JFK died in universe '1'.
    So we dont know what happened to the others, or when.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wasn't crazy about the first act, but the second and third acts were very solid. Which, now that I think about it, is pretty similar to how I felt about last week's episode with Bender and Hermes. I still think the acting could be a bit better. Some of the scenes, especially those between Leela and Fry, felt a bit awkward based on my expectations of how these characters are voiced and portrayed in the original episodes.

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    God, this has to be the only show which does time travel and makes me feel like it makes sense even if it makes no sense whatsoever (the Doom field being the funniest conceivable solution to paradoxes each time it shows up).

I love the Professor's obsession with not having paradoxes so he just doesn't build a backwards time machine.

Also it had some fantastic moments:
    They watch the end of the universe and are kind of blase about it...then miss their original time so they just zip through it again.

"That was the old Fry. He's dead now."

"Just slow her down, I'll shoot Hitler out the window"

Also anyone notice:
    Cubert doesn't live up to his claimed genius in Universe 1.

electricitylikesme on