As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[futurama] "almost ten deliveries per year!"

1414243444547»

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote:
    Also when Fry's eyePhone was ringing: "What's happening? Is it puberty?"

Why would this be funny?

• SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    I am still confused as to how Attack of the Killer App could be in the same season as The Late Phillip J Fry. The former is 99% pop culture reference jokes so lazy that even Family Guy would be ashamed, and the latter is one of the best episodes they've ever made. It's a pretty huge disconnect.

In fact I'd expand from those examples and say that the 6th season might be one of the most inconsistent seasons of anything I've ever seen, quality-wise. There are some amazing episode present, but some of the episodes are so terrible that they're unwatchable (Besides Attack of the Killer App, Proposition Infinity was also an amazingly painful episode to sit through).

I'm hoping that they manage to get most of the pop-culture jokes out of their system by the time season 7 rolls around. Or at least remember that a reference alone isn't funny.

• hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote:

Why would this be funny?

Why wouldn't it be?

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote:
    Why would this be funny?

Why wouldn't it be?

Ladies and gentlemen, the essential argument in this thread distilled down to two sentences.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    hawkbox wrote:
    Why would this be funny?

Why wouldn't it be?

Ladies and gentlemen, internet pop culture overanalysis distilled down to two sentences.

Fixed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote:

Why would this be funny?

I got the impression that Fry had been given the standard lecture about puberty: That funny things would start happening to your body and it's all completely normal. So when his whole body starts ringing it's like "oh crap! this must be what they were talking about!" Without realizing that he'd already gone through it. Hence the funny.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    RandomEngy wrote:
    RandomEngy wrote:

Why would this be funny?

I got the impression that Fry had been given the standard lecture about puberty: That funny things would start happening to your body and it's all completely normal. So when his whole body starts ringing it's like "oh crap! this must be what they were talking about!" Without realizing that he'd already gone through it. Hence the funny.

Ah, the "Fry's so stupid, he doesn't know what ________ is!" routine. Bah.

We're still talking about the same Fry that successfully used a doomsday weapon to spell out, "I Love You, Leela," right?

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    RandomEngy wrote:
    RandomEngy wrote:

Why would this be funny?

We're still talking about the same Fry that successfully used a doomsday weapon to spell out, "I Love You, Leela," right?

Yes. Also the same Fry who, in the Atlanta episode, tried to shove Oxygen in a suitcase to breathe underwater, and in the bouncing ball war episode, thought he was watching himself beat up guards.

Captain Tragedy on
    RandomEngy wrote:
    RandomEngy wrote:

Why would this be funny?

Yes. Also the same Fry who, in the Atlanta episode, tried to shove Oxygen in a suitcase to breathe underwater, and in the bouncing ball war episode, thought he was watching himself beat up guards.

And had sex with a radiator.

Really, the bar for Fry's intelligence is so low you need a backhoe to dig it up. There's really nothing that's "too dumb" for him, even in the early seasons.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    RandomEngy wrote:
    RandomEngy wrote:

Why would this be funny?

And had sex with a radiator.

Really, the bar for Fry's intelligence is so low you need a backhoe to dig it up. There's really nothing that's "too dumb" for him, even in the early seasons.

Fry is the ultimate main character. He's exactly as smart or as dumb as he needs to be and it always seems in character.

Taramoor wrote:
    Fry is the ultimate main character. He's exactly as smart or as dumb as he needs to be and it always seems in character.

I disagree. Fry is almost always written as a much smarter character when he's the focus of an episode. Like I've said before in this thread, there's two Frys: main-character Fry and background-character Fry. The former is a sweet, sincere, surprisingly intelligent doofus; the latter fucks radiators and mistakes phone calls for puberty.

Taramoor wrote:

I disagree. Fry is almost always written as a much smarter character when he's the focus of an episode. Like I've said before in this thread, there's two Frys: main-character Fry and background-character Fry. The former is a sweet, sincere, surprisingly intelligent doofus; the latter fucks radiators and mistakes phone calls for puberty.

"The Day the Earth Stood Stupid" disagrees with you.

Also, why is Fry being stupid a problem? It's almost like suddenly griping that Futurama has robots in it.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    or that Bender can smoke cigars without any lungs

edited September 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

"The Day the Earth Stood Stupid" disagrees with you.

Leela is the main character of that episode. Fry only gets focus in the last 4 minutes as a plot device.
    Also, why is Fry being stupid a problem? It's almost like suddenly griping that Futurama has robots in it.

It's not that he's stupid, it's that the level of his stupidity varies so much. He goes from being a naive doofus capable of fairly profound intelligence and/or skill to being a sub-retard who doesn't know which way to hold a megaphone.

He was a spaceship gunner during an intergalactic war. And he once forgot his own name for no good reason.

What's worst, is that quite often in the newer episodes, the writers use his stupidity as the end of a joke. There will be no context, no further development, just, "Ha, look at Fry and how stupid he is!" It's not funny. It's lazy. Making context-free jokes about personality traits isn't humor, it's actually closer to abuse or prejudice. Like, what if there was an endless string of random, appropro-of-nothing derogatory jokes about Amy being Asian? Or Hermes being black? Or Leela having a traumatic childhood due to being abandoned at an orphanage?

Having Fry constantly do inexplicably moronic things because "Oh, he's stupid," is no different than Amy constantly doing something with chopsticks or driving poorly or being good at math because, "Oh, she's Chinese."

Atomika on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote:
    or that Bender can smoke cigars under water

• RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    When Fry does something stupid, it's funny because the stupid act is just inherently funny. It's not funny because we as the audience realize that Fry is supposed to be a stupid character and we connect the two concepts. Fry just ends up doing a lot of stupid things because 1) they're funny and 2) they fit with his character. You could have other characters do the funny, stupid things the writers have come up with and they'd still be funny, only you'd be a little bit confused as to why the character was acting that way.

Maybe you require every event or joke to fit into some dramatic arc or character development but other people don't. I thought it was hilarious to see someone try to pack air into a suitcase and go into the ocean with it. Goal completed: the show has made me laugh. It sure as hell isn't abuse or prejudice.

Look, if you don't think it's funny to watch someone do something stupid, then fine. People have different preferences and this preference means you like Futurama less than other people. But holy zombie jesus, this does not mean the show is racist.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote:
    Joolander wrote:
    or that Bender can smoke cigars under water

That just raises further questions!

edited September 2011
    What's worst, is that quite often in the newer episodes, the writers use his stupidity as the end of a joke. There will be no context, no further development, just, "Ha, look at Fry and how stupid he is!" It's not funny. It's lazy. Making context-free jokes about personality traits isn't humor, it's actually closer to abuse or prejudice. Like, what if there was an endless string of random, appropro-of-nothing derogatory jokes about Amy being Asian? Or Hermes being black? Or Leela having a traumatic childhood due to being abandoned at an orphanage?

Having Fry constantly do inexplicably moronic things because "Oh, he's stupid," is no different than Amy constantly doing something with chopsticks or driving poorly or being good at math because, "Oh, she's Chinese."

Um... why wouldn't Fry's stupidity be played as a joke? Stupidity is funny, there's nothing abusive or prejudicial about it. Otherwise the plot has to be like Rain Man or Of Mice and Men, and that wouldn't exactly fit in Futurama. Besides, they've made fun of Fry's stupidity since the first season, yet you're still watching. If you honestly did get offended about Fry's stupidity, you'd have stopped watching after the first episode.

Besides, they have an endless string of random, apropos-of-nothing jokes about Amy being a klutz, or Hermes smoking pot, or Leela not being very feminine. Yet somehow you keep watching.

I gotta say, playing the racist card on this one is pretty damn strange.

cloudeagle on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    Not only that, but Hermes only smokes pot because he's Jamaican, which is exactly the kind of prejudice you're for some reason associating with laughing at stupidity. It actually gets a little uncomfortable when you chain-watch the older episodes.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Also entire plotlines/episodes devoted to the Professor being old.

And people being mean to Zoidberg simply because he's an alien. Hermes' "you filthy crab!" is absolutely racist. Speciesist. Whatever.

...man, this show is horrible. None of us should be watching it.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    *crash*
    "Dat's comin' outta your salary!"
    "BWAAAAHHHHH"

And the absolutely prejudicial removal of the saltwater cooler! We need to sic the NAACP* on them.

*The National Association for the Advancement of Crustacean People

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Making fun of Atomic Ross's post is racist. I'm ashamed of all of you.

• OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    you would.

you racist.

camo_sig2.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Really he only used a 1/3 of it.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    MichaelLC wrote:

Really he only used 2/5 of it.

FTFY

Houn on
    Houn wrote:
    MichaelLC wrote:

FTFY

I think I'm missing a joke here.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Houn wrote:
    MichaelLC wrote:

FTFY

I think I'm missing a joke here.

He had to compromise and not use the other 3/5ths,

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3/5ths_Compromise

I feel bad ruining the joke by explaining it.But I think its still funny.

steam_sig.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    double post double funny.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    I got that much, I was just a little baffled by the 1/3 thing and thought it might be something else... oh well, looks like I'm the dense one for today.

Some classics on tonight!

The "that just raises further questions!" bit might be one of my all-time favorite exchanges.

"With my last breath, I curse ZOIDBERG!"

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Really he only used a 1/3 of it.
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I got that much, I was just a little baffled by the 1/3 thing and thought it might be something else... oh well, looks like I'm the dense one for today.

Blame public education (mine, that is).

• HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    I'm so happy that The Late Philip J. Fry won the Emmy. I think that episode is one of the best episodes ever. I've watched it many times

kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    I guess I'm the only one who watched tonight's episode. I thought both all right, had some funny jokes. Better than some of the episodes last season.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one who watched tonight's episode. I thought both all right, had some funny jokes. Better than some of the episodes last season.

It's being discussed over here.

Tomanta wrote: »
    Cokomon wrote: »

It's being discussed over here.

It shouldn't be; that thread was retired like two years ago.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    This thread kind of feels like a B.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth