As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Excel VBA and named ranges

DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So in Excel, say you name column A "MyRange" and fill it with numbers. Then, if in a cell in column B, you put "=MyRange * 2". It's smart enough to know that you only want to multiply the cell in same row you typed that formula in by 2, not the entire named range.

How do I get my custom function in VBA to use this same logic?

If I create a function like so:

function MyMult(x)
MyMult = x * 2
end function

and then try to call it in a cell: "=MyMult(MyRange)"

it bombs out because MyRange gets passed as the entire range, not as just the cell in the range that shares a row with the cell I'm typing the formula in.

How can I pass to a formula the cell in a named range that shares the same row with the cell that contains the formula, as opposed to passing the entire range?

I guess I could add a second parameter to the function that accepts a row number, but it would be annoying/ugly to have to put something like "=MyMult(MyRange,row())" everywhere I want to use my custom function...

DiscoZombie on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Tell it which cell in MyRange you want to reference. You can probably do MyRange.Cells(y,x).Value
    So you'd do something like
    function MyMult(x)
    MyMult = x.cells(y,x).value * 2
    end function

I don't have Excel in front of me, but there's a way to get the column and row numbers of the ActiveCell, which is what you'd put in for y and x. Probably something like ActiveCell.Address.Column() and ActiveCell.Address.Row(). So like x.Cells(ActiveCell.Address.Column(), ActiveCell.Address.Row()).Value * 2

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH