As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] Transmetrophallia: Of Press Conferences & Murder[Village Victory!]

167891012»

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Damn. I knew I should've vigged Duna instead of Burnage!

yeah, cause if I die on day one someone's gonna suspect anyone other than you?

...Yeah, only ONE person likes to kill you.

oh I'm sure OS would too.

almost everyone else is smart enough to wait and see if someone else kills me so that they don't have to waste a kill.

also,

apparantly I die on day 1 when someone busdrivers me with someone else and that someone else gets attacked.

gotta love dying on day 1 with a self guard......

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Farangu wrote: »
    Also the secret mechanic worked better in my head than it did in practice.
    So,

8 regular villagers
    1 armored villager
    2 seers
    2 guards w/ self-guarding allowed
    1 vig
    1 masoned bus-driver
    1 masoned vig
    1 role blocker
    1 vote manipulator
    1 GM who loves too-much-info narration hints
    2 additional vigs mid-game

vs

4 mafia with 1 kill.

How did that play out in your head, just out of curiosity? :P

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    we don't hate Burnage.

we FEAR Burnage.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    name dropping me in the narration didn't help my chances at ALL

why did that happen?

Raneados on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There needed to be more neutrals.

Like. Everyone with a Secret(other than Alan) needed to also be a Secret Neutral so secret that even they didn't know. But there would be constant hints as to their neutrality.

But that would probably have worked out like the 1984 phalla.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    they were sleeper cells daughters

so secret that even I didn't know about them

Raneados on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    err....who busdrove me to me death? Curse you!.

Also, Ender, wth was with you're reveal? Was there some behind the scenes plan?

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No, it was a gambit that the mafia would think that I was full of crap. You guys never go after the obvious target. :P

I'm not sure why I didn't get BD'd after killing B:L, though.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Ender

Good vig, best friend!

And woah, that is quite a powerful village indeed :/ Feel a tad sorry for the mafia

Gumpy on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, I guess I'm grudging Zellpher for his inactivity getting me killed. Unless Zellpher BD'd Burnage and myself, and the spoon kill happened to be on Burnage? Because that I can forgive.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gumpy wrote: »
    The Ender

Good vig, best friend!

And woah, that is quite a powerful village indeed :/ Feel a tad sorry for the mafia

Yeah, reading through the roles and mafia proboard, the win seems pretty underwhelming now. I mean, B:L did try to guard himself, and there was no indication anywhere that his guard wouldn't work against my vig, so it wasn't like the mafia fell for my lame-o gambit.

...And why didn't I get killed all those times the mafia sent in kill orders against me?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    The Ender

Good vig, best friend!

Yeah, reading through the roles and mafia proboard, the win seems pretty underwhelming now. I mean, B:L did try to guard himself, and there was no indication anywhere that his guard wouldn't work against my vig, so it wasn't like the mafia fell for my lame-o gambit.

...And why didn't I get killed all those times the mafia sent in kill orders against me?
    Probably one of the guards or the bus-driver.

Also forgot to add in two additional vigs mid-game for the village in that list.

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Ender

Good vig, best friend!

We still almost pulled it off too. I got lucky/unlucky roleblocking a seer day 2 and then the other seer was self-outed. My secret kicking in when I roleblocked Abotkin really sucked though. Then I was stuck leaving my roleblock on Crumble because the narration let us know the guard as on him.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Ender

Good vig, best friend!

we were thinking you'd be guarded the whole time, and we'd waste a kill. We only had a handfl, so we were trying to maximize them

plus you were ignoring us and being wrong a lot, so we were just happy with you murdering people

we also weren't sure if you had a one-shot thing or a continuous thing after that first day, and we also didn't want to risk it

I gave my gun to jdarksun because again, we were ridiculously underpowered and didn't want to risk it being a narrative reveal

We weren't told it would be a vig ability. Just a "boon", same as the public

although i don't think he ever even used it

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    despite everything, it really came down to the wire

if you'd have voted out wildcat and shot me, I'd have survived it with the extra life, killed you and gumpy, and would have been the sole survivor and had a mafia win

Raneados on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that would have been a more epic ending, honestly

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    we were thinking you'd be guarded the whole time, and we'd waste a kill. We only had a handfl, so we were trying to maximize them

plus you were ignoring us and being wrong a lot, so we were just happy with you murdering people

Hey now; I was right more times than I was wrong. :P

I err'd with jdark & Erich Zahn, but I got Alegis, Dogbone & B:L right. Wildcat was just collateral damage to ensure a win - I couldn't be sure of their allegiance, so I figured the best move was to kill both you & Wildcat, thus leaving myself & The Smiler alive.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I gave the village so much because I didn't want very many people to be vanillagers, since I gathered the consensus was that that was a very boring thing to do. I guess in any future games I might make more people will have to get used to doing less

Or something

Farangu on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's not that people like being villagers or even endorse the idea that having most people unable to do greatly affect the game is a good thing. It's that the sides were uneven.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah villager boredom is a bit of a problem, but it's better than crippling a side

it really depends on the people who are the villagers. Some people will stay involved no matter what, and some people will always punk out

it also depends on the game, sometimes people still get into it without having much to do

Raneados on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the best move was to kill both you & Wildcat, thus leaving myself & The Smiler alive.

Busdriver says nuh-uh. :P

Wildcat on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Farangu wrote: »
    I gave the village so much because I didn't want very many people to be vanillagers, since I gathered the consensus was that that was a very boring thing to do.
    Vanillagers are usually a necessity. Reasons of balance, not too random (give everyone a gun: unpredictable chaos) and maintaining the 'game of hiding' (role call as means of removing the 'not in the know' aspect of the village).

The problem is if the game is completely out of the vanillagers' hands. All they have is the thread and the vote, if everything happens behind the scenes or the vote kill isn't significant they'll get bored.

Making games it's perhaps best to start with 25% mafia (1 nightly kill), 25% specials and 50% villagers. Then think about what you want the sides to have and adjust a bit on the same or on the other side. Like for example a smaller mafia but 2 nightly kills given. 2 seers and 2 guards is too much. Masoned vig and busdriver? Revealing narration? That's giving the village too many mafia (knowledge) tools.

Alegis on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, geez. I know I said that the mafia might be a little powerful in the original concept that you gave me, but you kind of went overboard on the rescaling, haha.

EDIT: I guess I should clarify something - when I said to have backup roles, I meant that for, let's say, the village vig, there should be a role that doesn't start out with any abilities, but if the village vig dies, it inherits the vig's abilities. Another alternative that is more common these days are the even/odd day roles. Each one counts as a 'half' special, so it serves a dual purpose of giving more people something extra to do (or look forward to in the backups case) and it mitigates the effect of losses on the village side.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Oh, geez. I know I said that the mafia might be a little powerful in the original concept that you gave me, but you kind of went overboard on the rescaling, haha.

EDIT: I guess I should clarify something - when I said to have backup roles, I meant that for, let's say, the village vig, there should be a role that doesn't start out with any abilities, but if the village vig dies, it inherits the vig's abilities. Another alternative that is more common these days are the even/odd day roles. Each one counts as a 'half' special, so it serves a dual purpose of giving more people something extra to do (or look forward to in the backups case) and it mitigates the effect of losses on the village side.
    BLARN so this was your fault! :x

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of which, what was Ender asked for design considerations considering he played in the game?

Alegis on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for running this, Farangu!

Wildcat on