As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bitching Thread: Gaming Edition

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Xagar wrote: »
    At least you guys weren't arguing about objective measures of "skill" or "stealth" like a couple weeks ago in the Halo thread.

How does that even work? Is it like the game giving you a "1 out of 5" for accuracy? Or "2 out of 5" for stealth or sniping?

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Maybe you should try talking to your game.

It's great fun.

ALYX, SHUT UP

DO YOU HEAR ME?

WHY WON'T ANYONE LISTEN TO ME

Nuzak on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It works how you talk about having no motion tracker in Halo increases "stealth" (or not) or, um...talking about MLG at all.

Xagar on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought Dawn of Souls was pretty much a masterpiece of the genre. Lots to do and see, not too hard, not too easy. Its only negative point is having an extremely different premise and hero from the typical Castlevania storyline.

Well that makes sense, because Dawn of Souls is a Final Fantasy game on the Game Boy Advance.

Opium on
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Opium wrote: »
    I thought Dawn of Souls was pretty much a masterpiece of the genre. Lots to do and see, not too hard, not too easy. Its only negative point is having an extremely different premise and hero from the typical Castlevania storyline.

Well that makes sense, because Dawn of Souls is a Final Fantasy game on the Game Boy Advance.

He probably meant Dawn of Sorrow. I mean its not THAT different. Can happen.

C2B on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    Opium wrote: »

He probably meant Dawn of Sorrow. I mean its not THAT different. Can happen.

Not when you're calling something a masterpiece of the genre and then not even getting the title right...

Opium on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Stigma wrote: »
    I'd prefer more Metroid-like games and more Castlevania-like games and less Metroidvanias. A lot of the time the rpg stuff only gets in the way.

Interesting. I found the lack of RPG in Metroid and Shadow Complex took something away from the experience.
    Leveling and finding equipment is one of the nicest parts of CV, though I'm very transparent having called for more ARPG in my last post.

The newer Castlevanias are alright, but they're missing the challenge

Have you even played Order of Ecclesia? That game is brutal. One of the hardest games on the DS.

Opium on
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hate the fact that there are no working or good arcades near me. WHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!??!?%R

Pablo the Penguin on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Maybe you should try talking to your game.

It's great fun.

ALYX, SHUT UP

DO YOU HEAR ME?

WHY WON'T ANYONE LISTEN TO ME

Hey baby whasshappening?

Oh you like the strong silent type? Well I'll be more silent than you can handle. UGH oh yeah. That's right.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Combos that stun-lock you until they end or you die are pretty bullshit.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Combos that stun-lock you until they end or you die are total bullshit.

Kazaka on
    edited October 2010
    Well, you have me there.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Handheld games that use adhoch or only local mutliplayer that are GREAT for Japan but almost useless in America.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    we've covered silent protagonists shoehorned into social situations where it makes no sense right

because far cry 2 has the approach where people just get the information from your mute without you even saying anything, they just carry on talking with new information like you said something, half life 2 has rebels being directed into position by your charismatic eye movements, and modern warfare 2 has soap losing the ability to speak during the missions where you play as him

i don't really enjoy silent protagonists and that bioshock infinite trailer just confirms it. it doesn't withdraw me from the experience to hear my avatar make noises and react to a surprising situation with a vocalisation, like a normal person

Yeah, I prefer much of Dragon Age to Mass Effect (I know there are big differences but they are similar enough for me to say that I prefer that style of game in the fantasy setting v sci-fi), but one thing that drives me absolutely nuts is the fact that your character doesn't speak in Dragon Age a la Shep.

stevemarks44 on
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Time to bitch a little bit about JRPGs vs. WRPGs and why no one can create a hybrid of the two.

I'm an old school gamer. The first game I ever beat was Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (or maybe it was Police Quest on the PC - my memory is a little fuzzy). This was followed closely by the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior on the NES. It's safe to say that I like difficult games and I especially like JRPGs or at least some elements of them.

I really like the battle system in most JRPGs - random encounters, turn-based combat, job switching, even some action RPG systems like those found in the Tales... games. What I don't really like about JRPGs is the over used theme of kids saving the world or heavily anime influenced characters.

For example right now I'm playing Dragon Quest IX and from a technical standpoint I think it's a great game. The battle, job, and alchemy system is just perfect. I could just give a shit about the plot because it's a cliche JRPG plot. In fact, I've taken to skimming a walkthru just so I can skip most of the conversations. I want to play the game and enjoy the battle system, I just wish there was a better plot.

On the other hand, we have WRPGs with their more "mature" plot and branching conversation trees. These are great but I really, really dislike the battle system in most WRPGs. The turn based system in Dragon Age - hated it. Same with the more action oriented systems of Mass Effect 2 and Fallout 3.

So, why can't some crafty developer make some sort of hybrid game? A great JRPG battle system with the plot and pacing of a WRPG?

Many people will say "What about Shin Megami Tensei?" I've played them and I've loved them. Nocturne and Strange Journey are right up my alley. I even loved Persona 3 & 4 but again, those two games suffered from some of the same old cliche JRPG crap.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2010
    Handheld games that use adhoch

Gesundheit

Opium on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »

What combos are these? Single player or multiplayer?

If they just happen to do a lot of damage and you die because of that, welp that's how it goes.

And it's hardly a combo if you can get out of it part way through.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited October 2010
    Tw4win wrote: »
    Time to bitch a little bit about JRPGs vs. WRPGs and why no one can create a hybrid of the two.

I'm an old school gamer. The first game I ever beat was Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (or maybe it was Police Quest on the PC - my memory is a little fuzzy). This was followed closely by the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior on the NES. It's safe to say that I like difficult games and I especially like JRPGs or at least some elements of them.

I really like the battle system in most JRPGs - random encounters, turn-based combat, job switching, even some action RPG systems like those found in the Tales... games. What I don't really like about JRPGs is the over used theme of kids saving the world or heavily anime influenced characters.

For example right now I'm playing Dragon Quest IX and from a technical standpoint I think it's a great game. The battle, job, and alchemy system is just perfect. I could just give a shit about the plot because it's a cliche JRPG plot. In fact, I've taken to skimming a walkthru just so I can skip most of the conversations. I want to play the game and enjoy the battle system, I just wish there was a better plot.

On the other hand, we have WRPGs with their more "mature" plot and branching conversation trees. These are great but I really, really dislike the battle system in most WRPGs. The turn based system in Dragon Age - hated it. Same with the more action oriented systems of Mass Effect 2 and Fallout 3.

So, why can't some crafty developer make some sort of hybrid game? A great JRPG battle system with the plot and pacing of a WRPG?

Many people will say "What about Shin Megami Tensei?" I've played them and I've loved them. Nocturne and Strange Journey are right up my alley. I even loved Persona 3 & 4 but again, those two games suffered from some of the same old cliche JRPG crap.

Seems like you want to trade in the same old JRPG cliches for the same old Tolkien and D&D cliches.

Because really, the writing in jrpgs is fucking awful, but the writing in most western rpgs is just as fucking awful, but in a more familiar and acceptable way.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Seems like you want to trade in the same old JRPG cliches for the same old Tolkien and D&D cliches.

Because really, the writing in jrpgs is fucking awful, but the writing in most western rpgs is just as fucking awful, but in a more familiar and acceptable way.

You make a good point but it's not just about the writing. It's atmosphere as well.

You take Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2 and slap an a turn-based combat system with some random encounters and it's my perfect game.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Find a copy of Anachronox (if it runs on modern systems, not sure about that. It uses a modified Quake 2 engine so I don't see why not), it sounds right up your alley.

Drake on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    It's really lame that you can't play games that you have DLC for unless you're connected to live. If I buy something and download it, why is it not just stored on my harddrive?

I moved recently, and have been without internet all week. I can't play FO3 (technically I can, but my saves wont work because it "can't load" the DLC) I can't play DeadSpace, I can't play GTAIV and even Dragon Age. Also, all of my Arcade titles have reverted to trial games.

Really lame.

I don't know why you're having this trouble but if you're still on the same Xbox, gamertag etc then you should be able to play most of your dlc.

With FO3 at least, I had a period of time where I would take my 360 around to a friend's house, download the dlc there and then take it back home where I had no internet.

hmm, have you changed Xbox's at all since getting your XBLA stuff/dlc?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Outside of an indie studio it'll probably never happen.

Besides Anachronox there was Septerra Core, which was a pretty good jrpg-style game, though the combat was slow as balls.

Page- on
    stream
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, Anachronox, Septerra Core and Sudeki are the only games I can think of that might be of interest.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Err not really, unless you're talking Bethesda games

Many JRPGs have plots that either have holes, don't follow their internal logic, or just plain don't make sense in general. Something like Dragon Age has all kinds of cliche, but everything makes sense in context and characters (for the most part) act believably

override367 on
    edited October 2010

Err not really, unless you're talking Bethesda games

Many JRPGs have plots that either have holes, don't follow their internal logic, or just plain don't make sense in general. Something like Dragon Age has all kinds of cliche, but everything makes sense in context and characters (for the most part) act believably

Not being completely nonsensical isn't exactly an exciting high point for writing. You can string together and endless number of cliches and boring, laborious dialogue and still have a coherent story and setting. Doesn't make it not fucking awful.

Page- on
    stream
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I know everyone has their tastes... and I have a friend who is JUST like you... and I say the same thing to him:

Turn based battle systems are an outdated design mechanic that is no longer necessary or fun for that matter. They were great back in the day when hardware limited what we could display on screen and what sort of inputs a game could accept from the user.

I used to be a huge JRPG fan but I got seriously sick of the same rehashed crap over and over and I just can't play through a turn-based RPG anymore. I try, but I always get bored. Pressing attack for hours on end and watching a canned animation got old about 10 years ago.

The market for these types of games is shrinking rapidly in favour of more active battles systems and I couldn't be happier about it.

All that said, I agree wholeheartedly that the Japanese need to put their obsession with children saving the world out to pasture. Grow up and start writing stories about adults, please.

EDIT: I hadn't read much of this thread... didn't realize you guys already bitched about RPG game mechanics. Sorry, I don't want to open that can of worms back up. Please just take my rant as pure venting :P

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Personally, I don't like it when other people enjoy things I don't.

SirUltimos on
    edited October 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »

What combos are these? Single player or multiplayer?

If they just happen to do a lot of damage and you die because of that, welp that's how it goes.

And it's hardly a combo if you can get out of it part way through.

It doesn't matter whether it's single or multi, and it's not that whatever is hitting you does a ton of damage per strike. What I'm talking about are long combos that trap you, unable to do anything for the length of the attack until it either ends or it kills you.

edited October 2010
    Infinites? Well, they're a pain in multiplayer games, sure, but I've only ever seen SNK bosses use them in singleplayer. They're broken, but not that big of a deal.

Unless you're referring to something else entirely.

Page- on
    stream
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know everyone has their tastes... and I have a friend who is JUST like you... and I say the same thing to him:

Turn based battle systems are an outdated design mechanic that is no longer necessary or fun for that matter. They were great back in the day when hardware limited what we could display on screen and what sort of inputs a game could accept from the user.

I'm :x ing so hard at you, right now. DA:O was a great breath of fresh air in the wRPG genre specifically because it wasn't some twitch fest that was trying to appeal to FPS fans and take the people who'd buy wrpgs for granted.

Half the reason AP's combat system was so great is that despite trying to copy generic UE3 cover based third person shooting, it slowed the gameplay down rather than trying to speed it up, unlike a certain other UE3 based WRPG that I could name :?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Chess has a turned based system, and it's pretty good.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

I'm :x ing so hard at you, right now. DA:O was a great breath of fresh air in the wRPG genre specifically because it wasn't some twitch fest that was trying to appeal to FPS fans and take the people who'd buy wrpgs for granted.

Half the reason AP's combat system was so great is that despite trying to copy generic UE3 cover based third person shooting, it slowed the gameplay down rather than trying to speed it up, unlike a certain other UE3 based WRPG that I could name :?

not everybody likes their gameplay senile (in all senses). and AP would do well to realise that there are more ways to slow down gameplay than by crippling it. splinter cell can be very slow.

Nuzak on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

As an RPG convention, I guess I agree with you (though would King's Bounty count as an RPG? I still like that kind of system), but overall turn-based stuff still works pretty well when appropriately used. X-Com or Civ, for example.

Edit: Actually, I take that back, the Wizardry style RPG still works, too -- Etrian Odyssey does a great job of it.

Fats on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I am a toolbag.

Yeah, I know people like that.

Elvenshae on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's odd, you rarely find people saying that turn based strategy needs to die and is an unfun holdover to when computers had trouble handling the inputs and display.

It seems to me that there is a place for the genre of RTS AND TBS. I wonder if we could extrapolate this to other areas.

Apothe0sis on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess all those hours of pressing of "next turn" in Civ5 was pretty unfun after all. Should've let me take control of one of my units in realtime first-person and shoot Ghandi in the face for reals. Much more immersive and pro.

Zxerol on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know what I really hate in RPGs? When they give you a party member that's just terrible mechanically. The two games I've played recently that this has been painfully clear in are Dragon Age Origins and Breath of Fire 3.

Breath of Fire 3 suffers from a problem a lot of JRPGs did in the nineties. Magic user characters are either horrifically overpowered or the worst characters in the game. Breath of Fire 3 gives you a character who's entire schtick is damaging magic, and then the system breaks as all bosses are resistant to magic and wisdom doesn't boost magical damage as much as strength boosts physical damage. This wouldn't be a huge problem, but the character naturally learns nothing but attack spells and debuffs which fail due to magic resistence more often than not. Mechanically useless character, and you're forced to use her for a good portion of the game to boot.

In Dragon Age I love my dog, I think he's pretty sweet. He's also really bad in combat in comparison to any of the other Warrior characters, I got around this by using the extra dog slot mod but honestly he has limited beyond belief talents, two equipment slots that give mediocre at best bonuses and most areas of the game don't have his special landmarks meaning he doesn't get some halfway decent passive boosts in the areas he needs them. I hope if Bioware has a dog in Dragon Age 2 they make him/it more useful because by all lore accounts he should be way more badass.

Z0re on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Z0re wrote: »
    In Dragon Age I love my dog, I think he's pretty sweet. He's also really bad in combat in comparison to any of the other Warrior characters, I got around this by using the extra dog slot mod but honestly he has limited beyond belief talents, two equipment slots that give mediocre at best bonuses and most areas of the game don't have his special landmarks meaning he doesn't get some halfway decent passive boosts in the areas he needs them. I hope if Bioware has a dog in Dragon Age 2 they make him/it more useful because by all lore accounts he should be way more badass.

Overwhelm and the AoE stun are pretty good, but yeah, he's a little gimpy. Then again, it's not like you need a super optimized team to tear through Dragon Age.

Fats on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't really understand why RPGs still give less (or no) XP to PCs not in the active party, or who croaked in battle. KotOR was the first RPG I played where they gave less instead of none outright, but even then I don't see the point. Why do designers feel the need to disincentivize people from mixing up their party composition on a whim? What gameplay benefit is there to saddling me with a bunch of useless boat anchors? Games have mostly moved beyond giving all the XP to the character who landed the killing blow, and this really seems like something that could go, too.

Orogogus on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    Z0re wrote: »

Overwhelm and the AoE stun are pretty good, but yeah, he's a little gimpy. Then again, it's not like you need a super optimized team to tear through Dragon Age.

I like Overwhelm and Dread Howl, but they are useless against Ogres and most Elite or higher enemies. Its not even how powerful he is to be honest so much as the fact that Alistair/Sten/Oghren/Shale are just so much better there's no mechanical reason to use him and he gets the least dialogue and story presence. He's basically a glorified sidekick and I think if they had just let him come in addition to the party in the base game he would have been awesome. As is he's the weakest party member and that irks me because its blatantly obvious even going by his equipment.

Z0re on