As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bitching Thread: Gaming Edition

1282930313234»

• SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Yes, this. If an FPS has any multiplayer modes at all, I consider it inexcusable to not be split screen.
    Mmm, well when you have two people playing you're pushing the console a whole lot more. So usually you get smaller fields of view, scaled downed textures etc. If a game doesn't have a PC version (IE console only) they might not have these assets ready. So you can include multiplayer easy squeezy if you just do it over a network. And this isn't mostly a deal breaker because then people that don't have the console can't buy your game. Which on paper doesn't look bad at all.
    I know why they don't do it a lot of the time, I'm just saying that they still should.

SirUltimos on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes, this. If an FPS has any multiplayer modes at all, I consider it inexcusable to not be split screen.
    Mmm, well when you have two people playing you're pushing the console a whole lot more. So usually you get smaller fields of view, scaled downed textures etc. If a game doesn't have a PC version (IE console only) they might not have these assets ready. So you can include multiplayer easy squeezy if you just do it over a network. And this isn't mostly a deal breaker because then people that don't have the console can't buy your game. Which on paper doesn't look bad at all.
    I know why they don't do it a lot of the time, I'm just saying that they still should.

MS hates local mutiplayer on FPS games. They think it will cut in to Live subscriptions. Developers don't care for it either. If most of your time playing is online you are more likely to buy DLC than if you just do local with a few friends.

Algertman on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I bought Borderlands and played it split-screen with my ex and had a grand ol' time. I had forgotten how fun splitscreen could be.

Up until you open up your inventory at least. Surely a slightly more minimalist GUI could have been developed?

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll bitch about how the failure rate on 360's is apparently 100% I think I'll stick to my ps3 for any more games.

PolloDiablo on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alright, I got a new one:

Not being able to open the Xbox Guide menu during a game's closing credits. That is to say, any game where the credits come to a screeching halt when you open the menu.

If you want me to sit through your ridiculously long credits, give me the freaking chance to multi-task without getting up to use my PC or something. I'm looking at you, Dragon Age Origins.

Also, ridiculously long credits. Looking at you again Dragon Age.

Next, any open-world game that doesn't let you start the next mission until a specific point of time. No, I don't want to come back between 6 and 10 pm, Red Dead Redemption, I'm here right fucking now.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know what I really hate? Teleporter dungeons. And trap floors. And areas that are pitch black and disable your map. You know what? Just fuck the Eradinus sector of Strange Journey all together.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Algertman wrote: »
    Gametrailers had gotten to the point where they think every Wii game has to have some online multiplayer aspect. I don't think any of them have friends in real life. Hell they'll probably complain if the next Zelda doesn't have some type of death match mode. They don't understand that Wii Party isn't meant to be an online game. You're suppose to play with people on the room with you, that's the point.

This is what annoys me about games "journalism" lately. Reviewing about features that the game was never going to have. None of these people would knock points off SMB1 for not having online, nor Oblivion, but apparently Wii games get continually shat on for not having online, even where the game would not benefit from it at all.

Also Bioshock. "But it didn't have online!" WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PLAY THAT ONLINE ARGHHH. Like developers can just pull the "online" handle on the Rad Game Tools middleware and poof there it is.

FyreWulff on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Gametrailers had gotten to the point where they think every Wii game has to have some online multiplayer aspect. I don't think any of them have friends in real life. Hell they'll probably complain if the next Zelda doesn't have some type of death match mode. They don't understand that Wii Party isn't meant to be an online game. You're suppose to play with people on the room with you, that's the point.

This is what annoys me about games "journalism" lately. Reviewing about features that the game was never going to have. None of these people would knock points off SMB1 for not having online, nor Oblivion, but apparently Wii games get continually shat on for not having online, even where the game would not benefit from it at all.

IE Bioshock. "But it didn't have online!" WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PLAY THAT ONLINE ARGHHH. Like developers can just pull the "online" handle on the Rad Game Tools middleware and poof there it is.

Bioshock's not a Wii game. The Whale is talking specifically about games that already have local multiplayer.

Orogogus on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Orogogus wrote: »

IE Bioshock. "But it didn't have online!" WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PLAY THAT ONLINE ARGHHH. Like developers can just pull the "online" handle on the Rad Game Tools middleware and poof there it is.

Bioshock's not a Wii game. The Whale is talking specifically about games that already have local multiplayer.

Making games network ready is not trivial. It takes serious effort to add a feature that approximately 10% of your purchasers are going to use. It's not just a case for a game that is already mutliplayer to just say, "do that but on the internet".

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Also Bioshock. "But it didn't have online!" WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PLAY THAT ONLINE ARGHHH. Like developers can just pull the "online" handle on the Rad Game Tools middleware and poof there it is.

Or shoving multiplayer in games that don't really need it. Like Bioshock 2

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm playing Borderlands and currently stuck on a gruelling arena mission. Twice now I have killed everything except the last enemy of the last wave, but according to my HUD he is stuck somewhere UNDERGROUND...

this has happened twice

i don't know if i can stomach a thrid attempt

Estilo on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know what I really hate? Teleporter dungeons.

This has bugged me since Pokémon Red/Blue with the stupid teleporter floors in the Silph Co. building. It's also in HeartGold/SoulSilver for one of the gym leaders, funnily enough in the same bloody city. Haaaaaaaaaate.

Dunxco on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Estilo wrote: »
    I'm playing Borderlands and currently stuck on a gruelling arena mission. Twice now I have killed everything except the last enemy of the last wave, but according to my HUD he is stuck somewhere UNDERGROUND...

this has happened twice

i don't know if i can stomach a thrid attempt

/signed

I just gave up.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate how in COD I can't move sprint from click LS.

My thumb hurts.

Xagar on
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate stupid "take a photo" missions. They can go to hell.

Offenders: MGS Peace Walker, Ace Combat 5.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FPS games that do not use the traditional control setup piss me off to no end.

I don't know if this is objective or subjective, but I was under the impression that, generally speaking, the reason that

Use = E
    Crouch = CTRL
    Jump = Space
    movement - WASD

was standard is because its the easiest and most intuitive.

WHY do games insist on varying things?

It works for some games, I can't imagine playing Deus Ex without right-click interact, but DX also came before a lot of shooters, there wasn't the established precedent that there is now.

offenders - STALKER, Fallout 3

STALKER also pushes a few of my other annoying buttons.

Quicksave isn't F5 and Quickload F9 by default, which is annoying and fucking stupid
    In addition, the mouse sensitivity in game and in the game menus isn't the same, it is painfully slow in menus no matter how high I set it, and very fast ingame unless I set it quite low.

Dhalphir on
    edited November 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    FPS games that do not use the traditional control setup piss me off to no end.

I don't know if this is objective or subjective, but I was under the impression that, generally speaking, the reason that

Use = E
    Crouch = CTRL
    Jump = Space
    movement - WASD

was standard is because its the easiest and most intuitive.

WHY do games insist on varying things?

It works for some games, I can't imagine playing Deus Ex without right-click interact, but DX also came before a lot of shooters, there wasn't the established precedent that there is now.

offenders - STALKER, Fallout 3

STALKER also pushes a few of my other annoying buttons.

Quicksave isn't F5 and Quickload F9 by default, which is annoying and fucking stupid
    In addition, the mouse sensitivity in game and in the game menus isn't the same, it is painfully slow in menus no matter how high I set it, and very fast ingame unless I set it quite low.

Someone I know asked a prominent PC developer at E3 about why their default keyboard schemes suck. The response is that they didn't really care because they assumed that everyone was going to change all the keys as soon as they bought the game anyway.

FyreWulff on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    thats a fair assumption i suppose

but still it requires the same amount of effort to deliberately use something different as to just do the standard one anyway

Dhalphir on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Then why not save everyone the trouble and just put them in the usual positions in the first place

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It really doesn't come up very often, but I intensely dislike it when PC games either have non-configurable controls, or only partially-configurable controls. I play with an...alternate control scheme for FPSs, and if elements can't be reconfigured to how I'm used to, it essentially becomes unplayable. Usual scheme:

Arrows keys - movement.
    Ctrl - jump
    Shift - sprint
    Return - use
    Backspace - reload
    Ins - crouch
    Num Del - prone
    End - grenade
    Del - health
    PgDn - frequently accessed item
    Home - map/inventory
    Insert and PgUp - less common items
    F5 - quicksave
    F8 - quickload

and then the mouse buttons for whatever I'll be doing a lot of - shooting/interacting. Can't remember the game, but in one instance it'd let you rebind everything except WSAD to arrow keys. Nightmare.

Bioptic on
    edited November 2010
    how do you...use arrow keys? are you left-handed mouse user or do you just like having your hands close together?

Dhalphir on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm pissed at that your character in Halo Reach stands up if he's crouched and hit. It makes taking cover behind stuff a pain in the ass.

Movitz on
    edited November 2010
    that sounds like the most retarded thing ever that has to be a bug

Dhalphir on
    edited November 2010
    Nope, Halo 3 did that too. But that's only if you're using toggle crouch.

Non-toggle crouch won't make you stand up when hit.

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2010
    how do you...use arrow keys? are you left-handed mouse user or do you just like having your hands close together?

Neither - I just have enough desk space that I can slide the keyboard to the left for games. Aside from habit, the main reasons I use the setup are that 1) the arrow keys are properly aligned (it maddens me that when you slide your index finger back from the W, it touches the edge of S rather than the middle), and 2) everything's separated out - there's no risk of acidentally striking a key and everything feels more roomy. Also, using WSAD the spacebar become one of your major keys, and I hate how mushy it feels.

Bioptic on
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I use a similar config for the same reasons, except:

Num1 = reload
    Shift = crouch
    End = sprint
    Num0 = melee
    F12 = quicksave
    pgup/dn, home, insert, delete = random other stuff

A lot of your keys seems a long way from the arrows - I find it a bit of a stretch to get to num delete and backspace so wouldn't want either of those for quickly needed functions like reload and prone.

So many games don't let you use Enter for custom controls and it is annoying.

Jimmy Marku on
    edited November 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »

Neither - I just have enough desk space that I can slide the keyboard to the left for games. Aside from habit, the main reasons I use the setup are that 1) the arrow keys are properly aligned (it maddens me that when you slide your index finger back from the W, it touches the edge of S rather than the middle), and 2) everything's separated out - there's no risk of acidentally striking a key and everything feels more roomy. Also, using WSAD the spacebar become one of your major keys, and I hate how mushy it feels.

that is not universal to keyboards
    my spacebar is as sharp and responsive as any other

Dhalphir on
    edited November 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »

that is not universal to keyboards
    my spacebar is as sharp and responsive as any other

Well, exactly - and you can get keyboards that align all of the letter keys to a grid. None of these are inherent flaws to keyboard control, and I can perfectly understand why most people use WSAD. Considering what a crucial peripheral it is for both comfortable games and typing, it's still astonishing that people (myself included) will spend £400 on a computer, £130 on the monitor and £10 on the keyboard (and perhaps a whopping £15 for the mouse). Having said that, spending £100+ on a 'high-performance' keyboard freezes my blood.

Of course, since most PC games became console ports, the non-FPS/RTS/RPG ones tend to be best played on a pad anyway, if only to avoid the horrible job done on binding the controls.

Bioptic on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arrow keys for fps is so very 90s. That used to be the default.

The prime reason for things changing to wasd was that people needed more keys. It began when Quake offered a large selection of weapons and scrolling through them was less than ideal. If you need to bind 8 different keys to weapons and still have them within easy reach the arrow keys don't cut it. For the longest time I kept playing Rainbow Six with arrow keys because there were less keys needed and it felt alright.

Of course, many fps players realized that esdf gave them more keys to play with than wasd, but I don't see that catching on with devs anytime soon.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited November 2010
    Also new bitching: I can understand if you're a shitty dev and can't be assed to implement Legacy sticks, but the devs that don't even implement Lefty Sticks are extremely lazy. Especially when Lefty Sticks is a freaking default option you set on the 360 dashboard. Even Valve has that option in their games, and they just implement the bare minimum of controller configs in their gamepad support.

FyreWulff on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    People in the gaming community (not like that's limited to that but) who treat 'that's just my opinion man' as the end of a discussion, rather then the begining.

Leitner on