As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i am retarded at computer building - shuts off right away

Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
i put this together: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AjltPLG6GK1wdE1YbU01X3V6ejdtZE5rR0EzQnVKX0E&hl=en&single=true&gid=1&output=html
except with a noctua cooler instead

anyway

i hit power

fans all spin (except maybe the gpu fan, need to check that)
then it turns off in about 1 second
and then it just does it again until i turn the PSU off
fans then off

where do i go from here

poo
Shazkar Shadowstorm on

• AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does it make any noises?

Normally the motherboard will beep at you for most problems. If there are no beeps then its either the psu or the motherboard I think. Are you able to test either of them with another system to see if they work individually?

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is the memory pushed in securely? Check all the connections and make sure everything is in secure. You really gotta push some of the components to get them in tightly.

This sounds like something isn't connected correctly.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Y eah check for the beeps. The only time I had problems like this I just systematically went over every piece I had installed. Turned out I had to reseat my cpu.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll recheck the components, though I did once. Motherboard didn't beep but it has some LEDs that were on during the brief time the computer was on

Oh boy, reseating the CPU will be an ass pain

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did you plug the power supply into your video card?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is the memory pushed in securely? Check all the connections and make sure everything is in secure. You really gotta push some of the components to get them in tightly.

This sounds like something isn't connected correctly.

I'd wager something with the power supply. Those are the connections I'd triple check to make sure they're definitely right. I remember when I built my last PC it had a similar issue and it turned out I had simply plugged in one thing to the wrong place despite it fitting. I guess I should be thankful I didn't short anything out.

Adus on
    edited July 2010
    biggest noob mistake

yeah i didn't plug in the power to the CPU

old motherboards didnt have that so i forgot, and my friend told me to check that because he has forgotten before

WHOOPSSSSSS

windows 7 screen on my computer so looks like things are working

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    biggest noob mistake

yeah i didn't plug in the power to the CPU
    One of the most common problems people have.
    old motherboards didnt have that so i forgot, and my friend told me to check that because he has forgotten before
    That depends on how you define "old". My previous machine that I built back in 2004 had one, and I've seen many P4 machines have one available.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited July 2010
    ah well. problem fixed at least. win7 installing. what should i name my computer? not for this thread i suppose.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ah well. problem fixed at least. win7 installing. what should i name my computer? not for this thread i suppose.

engelbert humperdinck

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He-man

Because now it can legitimately say "I have the POWERRRR!!!"

Thanks I'm here all week and then at Caroline's in Paramus on Saturday. Try the veal! Tip your servers!

DrFrylock on
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I named mine Gurren Lagaan

because after some later upgrades, my computer will be the one that will REACH THE HEAVENS!!

now to figure out how to install these drill mods on my case...

Niceguyeddie616 on