As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PTA] (General Discussion) PTA Community Assemble!

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, this is interesting. I'm wondering about items right now. Are we just supposed to use the amounts from the games, or what? Because I'm not even sure how much 100 p is supposed to be. I mean, I know that it wouldn't even buy a Pokeball, but are Pokeballs expensive? Does a "poor" trainer still have a lot of money compared to normal people?

Capfalcon on
  • DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    So, this is interesting. I'm wondering about items right now. Are we just supposed to use the amounts from the games, or what? Because I'm not even sure how much 100 p is supposed to be. I mean, I know that it wouldn't even buy a Pokeball, but are Pokeballs expensive? Does a "poor" trainer still have a lot of money compared to normal people?

It's all monopoly money to me, so who knows. The economy in the Pokemon world is insane anyway. Theoretically I guess that it might be a translation for the yen, so 100 Pokedollars=essentially 1 USD. Of course I could be totally wrong, cause "Pokemon Fun Bucks" is RPG currency and therefore makes no logical sense anyhow.

I mean, with how rampant Pokemon training is (it is the world), we can assume Pokeballs are at least abundant in the general market and probably not ridiculously expensive. Still though, in the end I think it just boils down to RPG economics, which means base the price of goods and services off the likely amount of money a player would have right now.

DJP3710 on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    by the time team WANG stops talking and gets to fighting, everyone else has already beaten their pokemon and stolen their stuff

Bu..but, talking is a free action. And we have 2 high Cha characters!

Besides, we're villains! Our chief weapon is Monologues! Monologues and apparently absurdly lucky dice rolls. Luck and monlogues. Our Two weapons are monolgues and dice rolls, and Surprise!

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DJP3710 wrote: »

It's all monopoly money to me, so who knows. The economy in the Pokemon world is insane anyway. Theoretically I guess that it might be a translation for the yen, so 100 Pokedollars=essentially 1 USD. Of course I could be totally wrong, cause "Pokemon Fun Bucks" is RPG currency and therefore makes no logical sense anyhow.

I mean, with how rampant Pokemon training is (it is the world), we can assume Pokeballs are at least abundant in the general market and probably not ridiculously expensive. Still though, in the end I think it just boils down to RPG economics, which means base the price of goods and services off the likely amount of money a player would have right now.

There is totally an Items List available at least for the standard game related stuff. Prices for other things can probably be extrapolated from there.

Kane Red Robe on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Huh. That's not in any of the new PDFs.

Capfalcon on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think trying to put together an items list with prices wouldn't work well because likely as not most GMs are going to end up handling their economics completely differently, depending on how common they want item use to be, how much they want to keep track of stuff like room and board, and so on.

Some sort of "suggested baseline" would be nice though.

Marshmallow on
    edited August 2010
    Well, the way I see it, it falls under crafting rules and perform checks in D&D. Yeah, some groups don't use them, but it's there if you want it. You can use it or ignore it at your leisure. And it's not like they have page count to worry about, since this isn't a dead tree version...

Capfalcon on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it's so fricking sweet that PTA's seeing lots of play since the beta release. I just need to keep my ears open for when another game starts up....>>;;

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited August 2010
    Wait a dang minute, why is Unaware so completely horrible in PTA.

Somebody be hatin' on my bro, bidoof, and his dragon dance ignoring.

Marshmallow on
    edited August 2010
    Eh? It looks nifty to me. Ignoring status drains is pretty nice, and you just don't learn any really good status boosting moves if you have that ability. None of the non-legendary abilities looks particularly amazing. What was it in the video game?

Capfalcon on
  • notsoynotsoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ignores enemy's Atk/SpAtk boosts when you are attacked, and ignores enemy Def/SpDef boosts when you attack.

Given the relatively improved stat parity of PTA, Bibarel would have stood a much better chance against stat-boosting threats if the ability had been transferred perfectly.

notsoy on
    Soul Silver FC: 1978 3200 2285
    GT: HitoriLionheart or dailydro
    edited August 2010
    Oh. Yeah, that's a lot better.

Capfalcon on
    edited August 2010
    I'm just not sure why, out of all the abilities that were translated more or less faithfully from the games. That one in particular gets completely changed, and for the worse.

I think I mad.

Marshmallow on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I warned you marsh

Bibarel was on a bloodthirsty rampage, he needed to be stopped

i TOLD you dogg

Squall on
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm just not sure why, out of all the abilities that were translated more or less faithfully from the games. That one in particular gets completely changed, and for the worse.

I think I mad.

sphealwithit.jpg
    Sorry Marsh, I've been sitting on that image for days waiting for a chance to use it. <3

Kane Red Robe on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh my god

Speed Racer on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Clearly you just need to get a simple bidoof!

Clyde will use the features of whatever advanced coordinator class he gets to give it guts or marvel scale. Get it rest and sleep talk (no idea if that's possible) and it'll be unstoppable!

Alternative option

"Bidoof is exerting its pressure!"

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited August 2010
    Completely unrelated.

The Picture of the PokeProfs on page 3 of the Player Handbook is... pretty badass.

PROF OAK: "Screw it. These kids are taking too long. I'm going to go catch all those damn Pokemon by myself."

Alternate Caption:
    Stand Back! I'm Going To Try SCIENCE!

Capfalcon on
    edited August 2010
    Completely unrelated.

The Picture of the PokeProfs on page 3 of the Player Handbook is... pretty badass.

PROF OAK: "Screw it. These kids are taking too long. I'm going to go catch all those damn Pokemon by myself."

Alternate Caption:
    Stand Back! I'm Going To Try SCIENCE!

Lol, glad someone liked that pic as much as I did.

Hrm.... no chance of breaking into the games in progress. Guess that means I'll have to work up my own...*chuckles evilly.*

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited August 2010
    The encore OOC thread title says they're still accepting submissions. Plus, they just entered downtime, so now'd probably be the time to add people anyway.

I'm really just saying this so that I can use the X used Submission! SUPER/NOT VERY EFFECTIVE line

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    The encore OOC thread title says they're still accepting submissions. Plus, they just entered downtime, so now'd probably be the time to add people anyway.

I'm really just saying this so that I can use the X used Submission! SUPER/NOT VERY EFFECTIVE line

Hah, then that is where I shall go this evening when I have access to my books.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited August 2010
    So, I was thinking about running this for a friend of mine, but the more I think about it, the less I want to. This can move at a decent clip PbP, but I think it's a bit to complex to do on tabletop with someone who is unfamiliar with the rules.

Capfalcon on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Our game is probably only moving at an okay pace because we haven't had any combat yet

Speed Racer on
    edited August 2010
    I think that if you ignore all the off topic posts and banter, we're the slowest thread. Especially without Rent <3

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    I think that if you ignore all the off topic posts and banter, we're the slowest thread. Especially without Rent <3

Yeah that's probably true

in fairness though we're also the smallest!

And the most rad

Speed Racer on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

the off topic posts and banter is what makes our thread though

question about features with "Every X levels gained" as part of its usage total: is that number of levels from when you got the feature or your total amount of gained levels (so for instance if you got it at level 12 and if it says " Daily – Every 3 levels gained, you may perform this Feature another time per day.", you can use it twice a day at level 15 or 5 times a day)?

Rent on
    edited August 2010
    Probably the former. It'd be a bookkeeping nightmare otherwise.

Capfalcon on
    edited August 2010
    Rent quit askin' important mechanical questions and get into our thread so we can move this little warehouse scene to its conclusion!

Speed Racer on
    edited August 2010
    Also if we compare to Leftovers we have about the same rate of fill

Encore is hard to gauge cause it's got two threads, but it and original obviously fill the fastest (one because there's two groups and the other because it's got basically everyone under the sun in it)

ed: cap you should join encore just so we have every single DM in the same game together

that's humorous to me for some reason

Rent on
    edited August 2010
    Do it.
    Do eeeeeeetttt.....

DJP3710 on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, as the group decides to celebrate their recent success, they eventually find a reasonably clean diner on the way to the safe house. As they open the door, the smell of eggs, coffee, and bacon rush over them. As they are ushered to a corner booth (being careful not to slip on the greasy floor) by an average looking, tired waitress, they notice the rest of the city slowly beginning to wake up. The streets are starting to fill with cars, and people are crowding the sidewalks.

After everyone gets settled into the booth, the waitress hands out some cardboard menus and brings some waters back. A few minutes later, the waitress comes back over and asks, "So, what''ll it be?"

BREAKFAST EVERYWHERE

All over pokeymans.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited August 2010
    Breakfast is the international symbol of new beginnings.

Edit: And bitchin' foodstuffs.

DJP3710 on
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it's family bonding time!

Daypigeon on
    edited August 2010
    DJP3710 wrote: »
    Do it.
    Do eeeeeeetttt.....

Excuse me goon sir but I do not believe you are an unbiased observer here

Rent on
    edited August 2010
    Gah... I don't think I should... but I want to... Damn it.

I'll make a character tomorrow.

Capfalcon on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know, it's quite obvious that this system fulfills a primal need within this community. The sheer number of PbP games that have started up since it was released is really astounding.

Terrendos on
    edited August 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    You know, it's quite obvious that this system fulfills a primal need within this community. The sheer number of PbP games that have started up since it was released is really astounding.

What I'm surprised about is why there isn't at the very least a d20 system based around MSPA

Like seriously

Shit makes no sense

Rent on
    edited August 2010
    MSPA?

MS Paint Adventures?

Capfalcon on
    edited August 2010
    Because the GM would by necessity have to be of a quality I have unfortunately only heretofore seen in a truly exceptional and ergo quite limited amount of individuals.

Marshmallow on
  • Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm just gonna capture all my pokemon with inspirational speeches and burning spirit

Shock G on