As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hulu on PS3/360, what are the options?

MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
Right now I'm only aware of PlayOn and TVeristy Pro. The PlayOn trial seems to work really well from the little time I've spent with it, although rewinding content can sometimes be a pain. Haven't really run into anything major with it. How does TVersity Pro fare compared to PlayOn? I mainly ask because it's cheaper. :mrgreen:

Also, what are the other options? Is there any freeware that does a bang up job? And what exactly is the deal with Hulu Plus? Would it be more worthwhile to subscribe to Microsoft or Sony's premium service in the future instead of purchasing one of these "workaround" solutions?

Basically, any and all information about streaming Hulu is welcome. :lol: Thanks for any help you can provide, I appreciate it!

e3ORbfq.png
Mugenmidget on

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really, really doubt these workaround solutions are going to work anymore once Hulu Plus is initiated

UnbreakableVow on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I take it you dont have a tv with a vga input?

Egos on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really, really doubt these workaround solutions are going to work anymore once Hulu Plus is initiated
    Ah, yeah I had wondered about that. Sounds like Hulu Plus will be the only way to go. :lol:

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited July 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    I take it you dont have a tv with a vga input?
    Actually, the TV in question does have a VGA input, but using the PS3 to stream seems like less of a hassle. Plus I have a good media remote for it (and nothing too good like that for the PC), so selecting new shows is a lot more intuitive.

But if you have a setup using your PC and the VGA input I'd like to hear more about it, sounds like a cool option.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited July 2010
    I would suppose the convenience would depend if you have a laptop (which I do). I just have a VGA adapter (female/male) and an long (approx 6ft) vga cord connected going to the television.

Looks fine though, at least for me. Granted my laptop is wired as opposed to wireless.

Egos on
    edited July 2010
    I would suppose the convenience would depend if you have a laptop (which I do). I just have a VGA adapter (female/male) and an long (approx 6ft) vga cord connected going to the television
    My laptop is kind of low spec, unfortunately, but I could buy a longer VGA cable and just run one from the PC in the room to the TV. Only bad part would be "no fancy remote" (for the time being, at least) but that's not that big of a deal. :P

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited August 2010
    I would suppose the convenience would depend if you have a laptop (which I do). I just have a VGA adapter (female/male) and an long (approx 6ft) vga cord connected going to the television
    My laptop is kind of low spec, unfortunately, but I could buy a longer VGA cable and just run one from the PC in the room to the TV. Only bad part would be "no fancy remote" (for the time being, at least) but that's not that big of a deal. :P

Its definitely not the most aesthetically pleasing option (in terms of the real world presentation)

Egos on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TVersity's hulu streaming is awful. I've never had a good experience when trying it. Would not recommend.

Hulu+ on Playstation is really really good (there are some bits about the interface design that I don't like, but to be fair it's still in preview -- the streaming itself is great), but ofc there are fees.

Dehumanized on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And the media remote doesn't work with Hulu+ yet, which sort of sucks. Hopefully they remedy that before it goes "live".

zilo on
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I picked up TVersity a few weeks back, and have had horrible luck with it... laggy, slow, constant pauses. Sucks.

I'll hafta stick with the generic Media Center then

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Sounds like Hulu Plus is shaping up, at least. That's a shame to hear about TVersity, I had one or two pauses in the entire time I've used the PlayOn trial. Seems really solid, but again that's just a third party workaround so I'm not keen on paying for it.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The biggest upside I've had to TVersity is that it plays pretty much any file type. Using the Media Center stuff, about 1/3 of my videos wouldn't play, and I'd hafta convert it to a certain medium to get it to run, and even then sometimes it wouldn't work.

TVersity seems to play fine, but say you try to skip ahead to a certain point, once it EVENTUALLY loads back up, it'll pause 1 second about every 10 seconds. Haven't quite figured out a fix just yet.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's important to distinguish TVersity's media streaming support (which is excellent) versus TVersity's capability of handling Hulu (which is totally different, and apparently sucks). In the former, TVersity has among the best support and interface (just compare it to PS3Mediaserver's GUI).

But that means nothing for Hulu, which is something entirely different.

Synthesis on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, TVersity's streaming capabilities are quite great. Their hulu streaming basically makes a direct connection to the PC browser widget window, except with none of the feature support. The streaming is low quality and if you happen to drop your connection (which I've never been able to watch a full episode of a show without doing so), you have to start the video back up at the start, and slooooooowly fast forward through to the point where you were at.

Dehumanized on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Honestly, I had no idea that there were any streaming options for Hulu, period. Which is probably why I have 50 feet of HDMI to DVI cable and 50 feet of 3.5 mm audio cable sitting under my couch.

Not an exaggeration. Thank you, monoprice.

Synthesis on