As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4e PbP Eberron: Crime/Noir] The Long Way Down

12345679»

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sterling's lips quirk into the slightest hint of a smile as she watches the Detective stuff their finds into a sack. "There is a slight irony in our looting this place, I think," she quips, stepping over a corpse before kneeling down beside it. "We went to such trouble to keep the gremlin's crew from doing so and yet here we are..."

She laughs airily; the sound is vaguely reminiscent of a wind chime. While she is able to pat down the bodies in a rudimentary search, she lacks the Detective's fine sense for the concealed and unnoticed - anything not immediately apparent would not be found.
    Perception: 1d20+3 10

Also, Sterling will use one surge to bring herself to 52/56 with 10/11 surges remaining.

May wanna have Dwight help with this one.

interrobang on
  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dwight smiles as he helps Sterling pat down the bodies, "Don't think the irony has been seen from me either." With a chuckle he moves from body to body. "These guys gotta have something useful on them!"
    Perception X2: 1d20+10 = 19, 1d20+10 = 23 Total = 23

Crimson Phantom on
  • srboyceboatsrboyceboat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dwight & Sterling:
    Tossing their bodies, you find 350gp spread amongst them and +2 Cold Iron Mordenkrad on the Minotaur's body. Vered can probably sell something like that at a very nice price (50% of Character Builder Value would be 1,700). You're pretty certain there's nothing else of interest in the room. There's almost no sense is just trusting your passive senses on arcana around this thing because it's all you can detect. In fact, it takes some effort not to think about it. Short of a long and tedious process of tearing out the walls of the nook, you can't think of any way one could acquire the sort of material needed to shield this thing. If someone is looking for it specifically, and you have it, there's a decent chance it would light you up like fireworks in the night sky on a sentient being's personal arcane-o-meter (if they did an Arcana check to find the device).

Rievakari and Clank will get more a little later today.

srboyceboat on
    Picture is Dave Dorman's (http://www.davedorman.com/)
    edited August 2010
    So I'v been meaning to ask but keep forgetting...when I do a check for arcana and I use my perception, do I only get one roll, or do I get two like a normal perception check?

Crimson Phantom on
    edited August 2010
    The way I read it is that you make a single Perception check in place of an Arcana check. It seems to me that your dragonmark is designed to give you increased capability when using your Perception skill. The secondary benefit is that when you would need to use your arcana skill, you use your Perception roll in its place. I.E. it's still Arcana that you're using, but it eliminates the need to train another skill.

Rievakari & Clank:
    Reeling from the most recent moments of his life, Rik drops the shock stick and raises his sword, gripping it two-handed, feeling the weight of Rievakari's Evil Eye weighing firmly upon him and looking cautiously at the ring of fire encircling him. "Biel, trash the walking dumpster! As soon as her witchcraft fades, I'll get the bitch."

Actions:
    Ready the following action: Rik prepares himself so that, should Rievakari try to flee, he will charge her. He does not know that trying to close the distance will result poorly, and his bravado and pride is dumb enough that he wouldn't care anyway. The way this will play out mechanically is that he's readied an action to fall flat on his face.

(W1) Rik - Init: 19 | HP = 82/100 | AC 20 | Fort 20 | Ref 18 | Will 15 (Falls [Marked, Clank] May not willingly approach Rievakari and grants her combat advantage (until EONT)
    :arrow:Clank - Init:18 l HP= 44/52 l AC 22 l Fort 16 l Ref 15 l Will 16 [Free of shock effect]
    (W2) Biel - Init: 15 | HP = 90/100 | AC 20 | Fort 20 | Ref 18 | Will 15
    Rievakari - Init: 8 | HP = 43/43 | AC 19 | Fort 17 | Ref 13 | Will 19

srboyceboat on
    edited August 2010
    Ok, that's what I thought and have been doing, but I just wanted to make sure.

Dwight sends his senses out to search the room, but has trouble concentrating from all of the innate arcana in the room.
    Perception(Arcana): 1d20+10 = 14
    Sterling, think you might be able to help me out in this?

Crimson Phantom on
    edited August 2010
    Sterling closes her eyes and holds her breath, doing her best to concentrate; she can "hear" the presence of magic in the room as a pulsing hiss in her brain, but something disrupts her focus and draws her attention away from its source. She furrows her brow in annoyance.
    Arcana: 1d20+11 15

Not so much. :|

interrobang on
  • hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The sparks arcing across Clanks body sputter out. As the smell of scorched rubber fills the room, he wheels on Biel. With blinding speed, he punches the hilt of his axe across the watchmen's jaw, snapping his head back with a satisfying crunch.
    Bellringer: 1d20+10=22 vs. Fort; Biel is now dazed until the end of my next turn, and as I'm wielding an axe, he takes 1 damage as well.

He races towards the door, motioning for Rievekari to follow.

Diagonal to G8, Move to L8. How far do we have to get to actually escape the hallway?

Status
    (W1) Rik - Init: 19 | HP = 82/100 | AC 20 | Fort 20 | Ref 18 | Will 15 (Falls, May not willingly approach Rievakari and grants her combat advantage (until EONT)
    Clank - Init:18 l HP= 44/52 l AC 22 l Fort 16 l Ref 15 l Will 16 [Free of shock effect]
    (W2) Biel - Init: 15 | HP = 89/100 | AC 20 | Fort 20 | Ref 18 | Will 15 (Dazed, Marked by Clank)

Next up: Biel!

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
    edited August 2010
    The front door is to the morgue is 10 feet (2 squares) south of Rievakari right now, minor to open, minor to close. Once you guys are out and on the street and break line of sight to the watch officers (you can do that by closing the door), you can ditch the cops pretty easily, but you'll have to make a streetwise check to determine how long it takes: DC<5 = 4 hours, DC5 - DC9 = 3 hours, DC10-DC14 = 2 hours, DC15+ = 1 hour to return to Dwight's office, which would probably get you back there at the same time as everyone else. I would recommend you do this as a group Streetwise, which would mean that one of you chooses to take lead. That person rolls a Streetwise DC, then the other player rolls as well, looking to get 10 or better. 10 or better gives the first person a +2 to their Check. You can also do them individually, but I'll be using an average of the two rolls to determine your final score.

Rievakari and Clank's Fight will be resolved later this afternoon. You're basically free and clear.

Dwight and Sterling: Nothing of interest in the room that you can detect past the power bleeding off the device, whatever it is.

You will each have to make a Streetwise and Perception check as you travel back to Dwight's Office, assuming that's where you're going. I assume it's where you're going because we're kind of at that point where it's time for y'all to get together and talk it out, see if you can't figure out some details and a plan of action.

Your leads:

There's shifter called Westerman, a dangerous broker of dangerous materials in the Upper City. Vered's relationship with Westerman has never been...cordial...and the amount of poking around the group has done up to this point may make it so that people are getting nervous about questions asked.

You have some of the blood sampled from the carpet in Tellarin's apartment. Once you guys collect at Dwight's, we'll talk about how you could investigate that further.

Omni Skill Challenge:
    7 Successes (Forgot to allot one from Mos Nasam's intimidating talk with Bemiin)
    1 Failure (Vered's Insight on Bemiin)
    9 Hours on the case so far.

DCs at the hard level of 18.

srboyceboat on
    edited August 2010
    After packing everything up Dwight looks over at Sterling, "Alright, I think it's about time that we went back to the office". Putting away his rapier Dwight smiles as he walks out the front door, I wonder what I can find out about this Plurg character
    Perception x2: 1d20+10 = 20, 1d20+10 =16. Perception = 20
    Streetwise: 1d20+10 = 19

Crimson Phantom on
    edited August 2010
    Rievakari & Clank:

Gripping his sword steadfastly, Biel raises his weapon and steps in front of Rik, shaking his head against the daze inflicted on him by Clank's hefty strike to his temple.

Actions:
    Move to (I,8)

(W1) Rik - Init: 19 | HP = 82/100 | AC 20 | Fort 20 | Ref 18 | Will 15 (Falls, May not willingly approach Rievakari and grants her combat advantage (until EONT)
    Clank - Init:18 l HP= 44/52 l AC 22 l Fort 16 l Ref 15 l Will 16 [Free of shock effect]
    (W2) Biel - Init: 15 | HP = 89/100 | AC 20 | Fort 20 | Ref 18 | Will 15 (Dazed, Marked by Clank)

Next up: Clank!

Dwight:
    As you leave the apartment and make your way back toward the lower city and your offices, trying your best to as inconspicuously as possible conceal the device, you get the definite sense that you're being followed. You haven't been able to visually locate the tail, but your senses tell you very well that someone or something is following the two of you. You take a more erratic route trusting your sense of direction in the winding streets and bridges of Sharn to take care of you, and it seems to do the trick. You feel less concerned about the tail as you do so, but given that you never physically saw the pursuit, it's hard to be sure that whatever it was isn't still there.

srboyceboat on
    edited August 2010
    Ok, so is it safe to assume I'm back at my office now?

Crimson Phantom on
  • Dark080matterDark080matter CrateriaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rievakari goes after Biel.

Rievakari raised a hand in a warding gesture at the two recovering Watchmen, then flicked a tarot card into the air where it twirled for a few seconds before burning off into ice blue fires. Instantly a terrible deathly chill fell upon the two guards as she moved to the doorway and opened it. Rik's already disoriented body began to seize up as images of a baleful, paralyzing moon flooded his mind. His companion fared better, though tendrils of bitter frost snaked up his body even so.

"Our time is at an end, dears. My parting advice is to consider your situation carefully before leaping after trouble greater then your abilities. And be wary of black cats for the next week.

Go on ahead Clank. These two shall be awhile puzzling over their reading."

Actions:
    Standard action - Moon and Stars vs Reflex against Biel (1d20+8 12) and Rik (granting CA) u]1d20+10[/u] [b]23[/b : 3d6+10 22 Cold damage. Rik takes the full damage and is slowed and may not shift (save ends), while Biel only takes 11 damage and suffers no particular effects.

That should slow them down for a bit. Possibly gratuitous use of a level 5 Daily, but if it makes Biel hesitate to follow us without Rik's back-up it will have been worth it.

Move action - Walk to the doorway.

Minor action - Open the door.

:arrow:(W1) Rik - Init: 19 | HP = 60/100 | AC 20 | Fort 20 | Ref 18 | Will 15 Slowed and cannot Shift (save ends).
    (W2) Biel - Init: 15 | HP = 78/100 | AC 20 | Fort 20 | Ref 18 | Will 15 (Dazed, Marked by Clank)

Dark080matter on
    edited August 2010
    Lol. I suck. Posting on a netbook on lunch hour makes it quasi difficult to keep straight, but thank you guys for sticking with me.

Dwight, that's your call. There's nothing stopping you. No one's gonna jump you, at this point, if that's what you're worried about. Not everyone else has made it back yet (still waiting on Vered [The Ender] to resolve things with Bemiin. I feel very badly about how sidetracked that got. I'm hoping he's still playing)

Fight:
    Frustrated, Rik stumbles forward and leans heavily against his partner, swearing profusely and shivering, panting, and glaring furiously at the sorceress. He manages barely a word of coherent speech before faltering, leaning heavily against his sword and making every effort to regain his composure. He glances nervously at Biel as the other Watchman panics against the frost crawling up his shirt sleeves. "Call...call...it...Cripes, why the hell is it so bloody cold!?"

Actions:
    Move: Move to (I,7)
    Standard: Total Defense
    Free: Be bewildered at his inability to beat up a diplomat and her pet machine man, formulate what bullshit he'll craft to cover their failure to apprehend you.

Save against Moon and Stars : 3 - HMS Failboat.

(W1) Rik - Init: 19 | HP = 60/100 | AC 20+2 | Fort 20+2 | Ref 18+2 | Will 15+2 [+2 To All Defenses TSoNT, Slowed and cannot Shift (save ends)]
    :arrow:Clank - Init:18 l HP= 44/52 l AC 22 l Fort 16 l Ref 15 l Will 16
    (W2) Biel - Init: 15 | HP = 78/100 | AC 20 | Fort 20 | Ref 18 | Will 15 (Dazed, Marked by Clank)

srboyceboat on
    edited August 2010
    Ok, do I have a safe or anything like that in my office? I suppose I should know this but I don't :P

As Dwight enters his office he rushes into his back room and tucks away everything he got from the apartment before he goes to his trusty contact list. "Now who do I know that can give me information on Plurg?"

Streetwise check: 1d20+10 = 24

Crimson Phantom on
    edited August 2010
    Clank makes his way to the door, the clumpclump of his taloned feet reverberating back to the huddled watchmen.
    Move: Walk through the door.

hotran on
  • Dark080matterDark080matter CrateriaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OOC: Friendly poke. How are we doing in here?

Oh and don't be so hard on yourself SrBoat! You've done an exemplary job so far.

Dark080matter on
    edited September 2010
    Beep boop!

Roll call - who's still around?

interrobang on
    edited September 2010
    I'm here, and would be all over getting rolling again.

hotran on
    edited September 2010
    Ditto to that!

Crimson Phantom on