As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless adapter can locate routers but not connect.

mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my wireless connection went down an hour or so ago. No big deal I thought, does it every other day or so so I tried to repair it and found no joy. Restarted and nothing doing either. Everytime I tried to repair I got this error message:

"The supplicant support has not been installed correctly. You need to run setup again to fix this problem. If instead you continue, 802.1x and WPA will be disabled."

Now I thought this was kinda weird, seeing as how it has been working fine for about a year and gives me this message now. So lugged my PC downstairs and redownload and installed the software but it just does exactly the same after numerous retries and reinstalls. It still sees mine and my neigbours router, just can't connect.

I've found nothing online so I'm turning to you, the wizards of H/A.

The adapter is a Netgear WN311B running on XP.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
mere_immortal on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    OK so just tried uninstalling the software completely and using windows to connect, but again it just fails to connect every time.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Try uninstalling the wireless card in Device Manager.

When you reboot it should install again automatically.

If this doesn't fix it try reinstalling the drivers.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fagatron wrote: »
    Try uninstalling the wireless card in Device Manager.

When you reboot it should install again automatically.

If this doesn't fix it try reinstalling the drivers.

Tried both of these, including using the automatic drive rupdate and manually downloading both the latest and previous drivers and trying them both, still not working.

Seated and reseated the card too but still no joy.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So hey it turns out I'm a complete fucking moron.

Tried to connect my Wii last night and it didn't work either. Well thats odd seeing as how it must be my network card. Or perhaps I could just turn my router off and on and everything would work fine.

Occam's razor folks.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heh.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah, always check router 1st

i once spent an hour trying to diagnose my laptop wifi card only to realize i had kicked my router's power brick loose, unplugging my router :D

illig on