As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Learning how to Use Excel

finnithfinnith ...TorontoRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Despite being somewhat computer literate and having used Microsoft Excel for several years by this point, I am still uneducated when it comes to the features of Microsoft Excel that I don't use on a casual basis. By which I mean macros and Pivot tables. Are there good free sites or resources that would educate me about Microsoft Excel's many features. I am a university student pursuing a Bachelor's in Business Administration, so if there are other features of Excel that I will be using, even other software, I would appreciate it if you would mention it so that I may use my temporary unemployment constructively.

I also run a small youth orchestra so if there are any nifty pieces of software that would help me run the administrative or financial side of the group it'd be great if you could suggest some. Right now I just use Google Docs to monitor the finances and a regular Google Docs spreadsheet to keep member records.

Thanks in advance.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
Steam: CavilatRest
finnith on

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ribbon Hero is a great way to learn a lot of stuff about MS Office apps.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Unfortunately I think the best way to learn Excel is to have projects you need to do in Excel. Both pivot charts and macros take some practice to get used to after you've figured out the basics.

For example, if you want to use pivot charts, why don't you add an 'expense type' for your orchestra spending / fund raising. Then every month you can use a pivot chart to see how much you're spending in each category, you can sort it by month or week or whatever, so long as you have a date field as well. It'll be simple and basic, but its a decent start and something you can routinely do to start getting used to the basics.

Cauld on
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One of the most underused functions of Excel IMO is v and hlookup.

Learn where to use it and the applicable arguments and people will think you are a wizard

Spherick on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spherick wrote: »

Learn where to use it and the applicable arguments and people will think you are a wizard

THIS. I never *knew* excel until I got my first job, and man, if you can do some conditional formulas (SUMIF, AVERAGEIF(s), COUNTIF(s)) then you'll know 40% of what most reports want (at least, in an anaylst roll). Pivot Tables are super easy once you have data you can manipulate. It's a mass organization (how many "No Contact" Accounts are in each state? Drag the State to "Row" and the account number to "Values" and make it count the entries in the Account number field (simply right clicking it)

1ddqd on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Agreed -- but keep in mind, when you are using hlookup and vlookup, you are starting to use Excel as a relational database. If you start using those things a LOT in one spreadsheet, it is probably time to graduate to MS Access (which is itself hated within the database community -- but it mostly works.)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One of my acquaintances, who is an engineer working with Bombardier, told me that relational databases (RDMS), such as Oracle, are widely used in many industries. Is it recommended for me to take a course or are there any books that I could use instead. I'm somewhat short of money (read: unemployed) at the moment.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I self-taught myself Excel via F1 help (not much help) and googling while making character sheets for D&D and a monster builder for D&D 4th edition. Just find something you really enjoy and start working at it. v/hlookup are awesome, but also have their drawbacks. For instance, anything being looked up has to be sorted from low to high, a to z, etc.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spherick wrote: »

Limed because it's so true it isn't funny.

=vlookup/=hlookup are both vital to learn how to use. If you can also use =if and its various permutations, then that's pretty much all you need. After that you can get into all kinds of insanity like nested formulas, conditional formatting, and plug-and-play style reports.

Raekreu on