As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reading recomendations?

h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, for the past two and a half years I haven't read anything besides technical manuals or religious texts.

For two years in southern germany I basicly lived as a monk, practicing and teaching christian religion, and researching other religions - I literally read nothing but various religious texts (it's pretty amazing how many translations of the bible there are in german, and how slight wording changes the most minute of things) and sign posts every day for two years straight. No tv, no newspaper, no movies, no other books.

When I got done with that I came home to the U.S. and did a semester of college, saw some movies and listened to some music, but all the reading I did didn't fall into the category of 'leisure' books.

I was reading through Hebrews this morning when I realised that I think I'd like to get some other reading in my life.

So.

I've read a fair few clasics growing up and was indifferent to most of them - things like a tale of two cities, catcher in the rye, a farewell to arms, the great gatsby, etc. I hated War and peace. The last book series I read and really enjoyed before leaving the country was Robert Jordans Wheel of time series. I thought it was great, I'll probably pick it back up when it gets finished. I really liked LOTR and the hobbit, I remember that as a kid I really liked Firebird by Mercedes Lackey. I also enjoyed the Belgariad and the Chronicles of Amber as a kid.

I suppose my tastes lean toward action/adventure with a hint of romance.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me, anything to liven up my liesure reading time?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
h3ndu on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Name of the Wind is pretty great. Fantasy/adventure with some good romantic relationship writing.

admanb on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm going through a phase of reading things I should have read in high school. Best finds so far a Gatsby, Brave New World, and, most importantly, On The Road.

On The Road is a, perhaps The, Great American Adventure. Its short, too, and a great quick read.

Also, if you've been reading for knowledge lately, consider The Know-it-All by AJ Jacobs. True story of a guy reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica, mixing in personal stories with factoids. Think Julie and Julia, but for OCD nerds.

Going an entirely different direction, Nelson DeMille is a fantastic writer in his early work. The Gold Coast is an amazing book with action and romance, and some really interesting class vs. money aspects. How much do I love it? Enough to link it: http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Coast-Nelson-DeMille/dp/0446673218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280729335&sr=8-1

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll let everyone else handle fantasy because The Name of the Wind is the only fantasy I've ever loved and admanb beat me. So I'll just list my favorite books. It's a little heavy on the sci-fi but since they're all top quality books it shouldn't be a chore. Gardens of the Moon is fantasy actually, it's the first of a huge epic series that a lot of people like. I know you said you're indifferent to classics (including A Farewell to Arms which is on the list) but most people are when they're younger. Now that you're a little more mature I think you'll find that they're classic for a reason.

Catch-22, Moby-Dick, Snow Crash, All the King's Men, Invisible Man, Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, The Sun Also Rises, Sometimes a Great Notion, Closing Time, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, A Confederacy of Dunces, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Brave New World, The Yiddish Policeman's Union, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Spook Country, Treasure Island, Consider Phlebas, The Diamond Age, Love in the Time of Cholera, Pattern Recognition, American Gods, Anansi Boys, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Gun, with Occasional Music, Motherless Brooklyn, The Fortress of Solitude, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Cryptonomicon, Gardens of the Moon, Cat's Cradle, The Demon-Haunted World, Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties, Lolita, Everything Is Illuminated, On the Road, The Brothers Karamazov, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, Absurdistan, Going Postal.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Catch-22, Moby-Dick, Snow Crash, All the King's Men, Invisible Man, Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, The Sun Also Rises, Sometimes a Great Notion, Closing Time, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, A Confederacy of Dunces, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Brave New World, The Yiddish Policeman's Union, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Spook Country, Treasure Island, Consider Phlebas, The Diamond Age, Love in the Time of Cholera, Pattern Recognition, American Gods, Anansi Boys, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Gun, with Occasional Music, Motherless Brooklyn, The Fortress of Solitude, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Cryptonomicon, Gardens of the Moon, Cat's Cradle, The Demon-Haunted World, Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties, Lolita, Everything Is Illuminated, On the Road, The Brothers Karamazov, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, Absurdistan, Going Postal.

Bolding the ones I've read and loved to second them. Unbolded just means I haven't read it, or don't remember it very well. :P

admanb on
  • Options
    h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ok - so I popped into my local bookstore this morning to seek after a few books.

They did not have name of the wind and I didn't see on the road (not the biggest book store out there), but the clerk convinced me to buy a book called Mistborn - by Brandon Sanderson. I also bought Catch 22. I think they should keep me occupied for about a week. I think my next two buys will be Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and The Brothers karamazov. Thanks for the list TychoCelchuuu - I'll likely be picking away at it for a while.

And yes, I think re-reading some of the classics I read as a younger man would be a good idea, but in reference to A Farewell to Arms, if I remember correctly it's not that I thought the book was bad, I just didn't like his style of writing - it seemed really oversimplified to me. But it has been a few years now, and what I remember could be just gibberish. It being on your list I also remember reading Brave new world, and disliking it - but having liked Orwell's 1984.

Is Farenheit 451 worth reading?

Th Hitchhikers series was great in the beginning, but I think I never got completely through Mostly Harmless. Should I pick it back up again?

h3ndu on
    Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    h3ndu - I was actually going to post that you should perhaps give Mistborn a shot, so I'm glad the clerk recommended it.

Brandon Sanderson is taking over/finishing the Wheel of Time books now that Robert Jordan has passed away, and he did a spectacular job in the most recent WoT book (I'm eagerly awaiting the next one later this year). Due to his great work, I went ahead and checked out Mistborn and loved it. I just finished the final book (3/3) today and recommend reading them all, though the second is my least favorite of the series.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    h3ndu wrote: »
    Ok - so I popped into my local bookstore this morning to seek after a few books.

They did not have name of the wind and I didn't see on the road (not the biggest book store out there), but the clerk convinced me to buy a book called Mistborn - by Brandon Sanderson. I also bought Catch 22. I think they should keep me occupied for about a week. I think my next two buys will be Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and The Brothers karamazov. Thanks for the list TychoCelchuuu - I'll likely be picking away at it for a while.

And yes, I think re-reading some of the classics I read as a younger man would be a good idea, but in reference to A Farewell to Arms, if I remember correctly it's not that I thought the book was bad, I just didn't like his style of writing - it seemed really oversimplified to me. But it has been a few years now, and what I remember could be just gibberish. It being on your list I also remember reading Brave new world, and disliking it - but having liked Orwell's 1984.

Is Farenheit 451 worth reading?

Th Hitchhikers series was great in the beginning, but I think I never got completely through Mostly Harmless. Should I pick it back up again?

Mistborn is a fun book, not great, but I enjoyed it. I have the sequel but haven't quite cared enough to read it yet.

You should check out Raymond Feist books, starting with Magician: Apprentice.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really enjoyed Name of the Wind. In fact, I would reread it, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm currently attempting to get through all the Harry Potter books for the gf.

Also, obligatory Song of Ice and Fire series recomendation.

noir_blood on