As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY: the name that movie/song thread

TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability PartnershipRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Social Entropy++
It's happened to all of us. We suddenly remember a scene from a movie or a lyric from a song and that's all. And yet we need to know the rest of it. I present this thread in honor of such forgetfulness, such amnesia. Mostly because I need to remember a movie long forgotten, but also because I know more of you have the same problem. There is something out there eating at your soul that you simply cannot shake. Some remembrance of childhood that haunts you to this day that if only you could put a title to you would be okay, that the nightmares would finally stop. I post this thread in honor of you. My fellow brave soldiers into that dark, unknown night. Here we shall, hopefully, find freedom and closure. Here is our salvation. To those begging for insight, I offer my sympathy. For those offering knowledge, I give my thanks. Here we are all equals, and here we shall find freedom!

For many of you seeking closure in a film, I offer these titles:

The-Princess-And-The-Goblin.jpg
Movie_poster_watership_down.jpg&t=1
index.jpg

And now, if I may have helped any of you, I present my personal problem in the hopes that you may help me. Mine is an ancient and eldritch mystery, one that has not in well over a decade offered anything more than an epidemic of ignorance and fear. I have spoken of this movie and the psyches of inner children quaked. Memories long forgotten shook with the foundations of quarrelsome childhoods and suppressed adolescence. With this request I churn the ice cream of doom.

The movie of which I speak I witnessed some fifteen or more years ago, an animated horror of terror, loss, resolve, and eventual victory. A boy crosses a bridge haunted by some sort of thieving troll, a beast that threatens to steal from him his most precious of possessions should he not perform a profane series of preventions including bathing in vinegar, filling his bathrobe pockets full of chalk, and wearing tinfoil on his head. A second child, privy to these ancient and forbidden arts, informs our protagonist of his foolishness and guides him towards the path of victory. Yet he forgets one of these mystical bulwarks and the vile creature creeps into his abode and steals from him his beloved pet hamster. Yes friends, an innocent rodent. And so our hero brazenly ventures into the realm of this horrid troll-fiend and initiates a bargain with him, all in an attempt to save the life and freedom of his most innocent of hamsters, outwitting the monster and winning the furry one's emancipation.

What is this movie?! I ask this of you all, in the hopes that I will know the answer before I die, and with the promise that if you should have a similar question that I will exercise all my power to aid you in such ventures. Hopefully with each others' help, we shall see the end of this long, darkened path.

But seriously this movie is driving me nuts and I can't figure it out. I NEED to know what it is!

TL;DR Edit:

Movie I want to know:

-Kid crosses a bridge that is haunted by a troll that steals shit from you if you cross said bridge
-Kid gets scared by this, consults a nerdy kid that knows about troll shit and gives him advice to beat the troll
-Kid bathes in vinegar, puts tin foil on his head, etc. to keep troll away
-Kid forgets to put chalk in his pockets, and so troll comes and steals his pet hamster
-Kid has to go under the bridge and deal with the troll to win his pet hamster
-Kid somehow beats troll in battle of wits and wins his hamster back
-Kid lives happily ever after

TomeWyrm on

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    #pipe wrote: »
    Reanimators

I...what...no...just...maybe?

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Little Nemo scared me so bad as a kid.

I'd watch it again but I think I was watching a rental.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    pipe your avatar is perfect for how quickly and succinctly you solved this man's problem.

PkErthbnd on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    PkErthbnd wrote: »
    pipe your avatar is perfect for how quickly and succinctly you solved this man's problem.

If only Herbert West solved the problem of this damn troll! If only it were that easy!

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    guy you should give us a TL;DR summary of everything you can remember from the movie. It's kind of lost in a wall of text at the moment.

might I suggest a list with bullet points, maybe an approximate year of production, country of origin?

#pipe on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Damn. Right when I started reading the OP, I immediately though of Little Nemo. Was gonna post it them BAM!

Little Nemo. One of my favorite childhood movies.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, I have one. It was a movie that came out in the mid to late 90's. I don't remember a whole lot about it other than it was set on a bunch of fog shrouded swamp type sets, and there was an evil guy who was harvesting some kind of energy or life force from the swamp (or the world?) and putting them into containers, that he then used to sell or keep himself alive or something. I think there was a team of 4 heroes (in bad rubber suits), one of whom had been a swordmaster but put it down after an accident and he had maimed/killed a friend or something like that. And if I remember right, it bombed horribly.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    Okay, I have one. It was a movie that came out in the mid to late 90's. I don't remember a whole lot about it other than it was set on a bunch of fog shrouded swamp type sets, and there was an evil guy who was harvesting some kind of energy or life force from the swamp (or the world?) and putting them into containers, that he then used to sell or keep himself alive or something. I think there was a team of 4 heroes (in bad rubber suits), one of whom had been a swordmaster but put it down after an accident and he had maimed/killed a friend or something like that. And if I remember right, it bombed horribly.

These heroes weren't kangaroos per chance, were they?

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cartoon or live action?

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

back to the future

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cartoon or live action?

Live action I'm fairly sure.
    TomeWyrm wrote: »

Damned if I can remember. Don't think they were humans, at least.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hey, have you guys seen reanimator?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cartoon or live action?

power rangers

okay okay now i am thinking of a number between 1 and 10

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cartoon or live action?

Warriors of Virtue.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/10665-virtue

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    hey, have you guys seen reanimator?

4c8oEuUK4alfv5kpY01o3MUQ_400.jpg

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hoooooooooly shit. I think thats it! You guys are good.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hoooooooooly shit. I think thats it! You guys are good.

Yeah, that movie was crazy bad, and sticks with you like herpes. You'll never rid yourself of its taint.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What's the name of that song they play during the Lexus commercials? All I can ever pull out of the lyrics is "4... 3... 2... 1..." which is surprisingly difficult to Google for good results.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Major Tom (Coming Home). Originally by Peter Schilling, with the Lexus cover by Shiny Toy Guns.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    now, there's this techno song I'm trying to think of

the main part goes "do do do do do do do do do do do do do" "do do do do do do do do do do do do do"

it's not Freezepop

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have this line that I love but I can't remember what it's from

"Brunch, it's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, you'll love it."

Said in a kind of effeminate voice

I want to say Simpsons, but I don't think that's actually it

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seinfeld?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    What's the name of that song they play during the Lexus commercials? All I can ever pull out of the lyrics is "4... 3... 2... 1..." which is surprisingly difficult to Google for good results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyFe5m2MU9Q&feature=avmsc2

I've never seen the commercial but I spent ten seconds on google. Is this the one?

#pipe on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Marge: What's Brunch?
    Jacques: You'd love it, It's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, but
    it comes with a slice of cantaloupe at the end. You don't get
    completely what you would at breakfast, but you get a good meal!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    if cantaloupe was mentioned then it was the simpsons

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Standing there alone/the ship is waiting/all systems are go/are you sure?/Control is not convinced/but the computers have the evidence/ Just major tom/ the count goes on/ 4 3 2 1... Earth below us, drifting, falling, etc.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Anyone who wonders where a quote is from? Google it

Nine times out of ten you will get your answer on the first page

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For the past few weeks I had a short section of a musical score stuck in my head, and I couldn't place it. I finally figured out that it was the music from this scene:

Disney -Rescuers Down Under

Arrath, your movie sounds a lot like I movie I've been trying to figure out for years. I think I saw it in the early 90s. Definitely live action. There was a witch (it might have been a guy) sucking life force from a river and turning the river to mud or something. He/she was thwarted by a young kid and a group of 3 to 4 things that might have looked something like the robots from Mystery Science Theater 3000. There may have been a promotional tie-in with a candy company, getting the Mystery Science Theater robots to appear on bags of candy. I don't think it was Warriors of Virtue.

Also, there is a game I played years ago, I think on the NES. It involved navigating a speedboat through a jungle and going over waterfalls. It wasn't Cobra Triangle. I think you viewed the action from an angle so you could move in four directions and also jump. The river itself always was always drawn horizontally on the screen. Again, it wasn't Cobra Triangle.

Hirocon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    now, there's this techno song I'm trying to think of

the main part goes "do do do do do do do do do do do do do" "do do do do do do do do do do do do do"

it's not Freezepop

context?

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Pretty sure it is the Simpsons. Episode where Homer gives Marge a bowling ball for her birthday.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Holy crap I love the Rescuers Down Under so much

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay, here's something that has been driving me crazy for what feels like years

I've got this theme song in my head, and I've searched around for the source, but I can't find it and I can't remember if it was a part of a larger show or a video game or what

All I remember is that it goes

Commander Quark
    Commander Quark
    dun dun DUN DUN Commander Quark
    Commander Quark
    dun dun DUN DUN Commander Quark

I realize that musical tone is hard to communicate through text but someone has to have heard this shit before!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I spent all last night looking for the name of a song by what I thought was Nirvana. Turned out to be Alice in Chains.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hirocon wrote: »
    For the past few weeks I had a short section of a musical score stuck in my head, and I couldn't place it. I finally figured out that it was the music from this scene:

Disney -Rescuers Down Under

man in real life that kid would be fucked

tugga on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm just glad someone else has seen the princess and the goblin

I sound like a crazy person when I try to explain the plot to people

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Olivaw is that a song from ratchet and clank games? featuring commander qwark? I know he had a TV show and stuff in those games.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Olivaw is that a song from ratchet and clank games? featuring commander qwark?

That's what I thought, but I searched for that at some point too but nothing came up!

I mean, I'd be glad to be wrong, but I don't think that's it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg