As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Dark Souls/Demon's Souls! This is the old thread. STOP POSTING HERE

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've got like 8. They're all over the place.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Hmm... I think I figured out it's kind of tough to pull off, but I was really curious to try a Blueblood Sword type of character. Because of what you need to actually make the sword though, I think you don't end up with it until late in the first game?

Here you go (from the demon's souls wiki):

Recommended starting class(es): Wanderer

Recommended equipment
    blueblood-sword
    buff items like turpentine, sticky white stuff
    Recommended spells/miracles
    Warding/Second Chance
    Light Weapon/Curse Weapon

Gameplay tips and progression
    A build that focuses on obtaining and using the blueblood-sword (BBS) at maximum effectiveness ASAP. The royal can actually have more stat-luck at a given level while meeting the requirements for the BBS, but the wanderer is second best and padded with a bit more stat-vitality and stat-endurance. The name of the game here is getting 18 each in stat-strength, stat-dexterity stat-magic, and stat-faith in as short a time as possible, so spend your soul levels toward these stats as you collect equipment.

At SL 35, you should be hitting just under 300 listed damage one handed with the BBS. Raising stat-luck at this point for damage is tempting but hold off a bit. Consider raising stat-strength to 22 for a purple-flame-shield, then work on stat-endurance first. Get stat-endurance to at least 30 (only stop putting points in at 40, but you can take a break at 30) then work on stat-vitality until you hit 27 in it. You should be roughly SL 80 to 90 at this point. Now you are at a crossroads: you can spend a few SL in stat-intelligence to get more spell slots/MP to round out your character, or you can begin pumping stat-luck. Either way by about SL 120 you should be a hard hitting, spell and miracle capable machine with enough HP to take a hit or two in NG+.

Mini-Walkthrough for equipment:
    After beating walk1-1-boss (be sure to get the thief-s-ring, it'll help immensely later), head immediately to 4-1. Use your shield to block the silver-skeleton then counter; your dagger is effective at dispatching them with a buff on it like Turpentine. The Wanderer's falchion is too slow for the damage at this point, stick with your dagger. Push on through and obtain the Crescent Falchion, compound-long-bow, adjudicator-s-shield and regenerator-s-ring from here. If you feel brave beat 4-1 with your shiny new Crescent Falchion to open 4-2 for farming later. Take your new regen + magic weapon combo and head to world walk5-1. Two hand the falchion here to kill most enemies in one hit. walk5-1-boss should be cake, just get close and melee him in short bursts before backing off. Now on to 5-2. Keep your regen gear on to reduce the poison effect of the swamp as much as possible. Equip the Thief's Ring and collect the Broken Sword from the the swamp then sneak around the island with 3 depraved ones and 1 giant into the next area. Jump down in the swamp again and make your way into the shanty town. Once you make it past that fog gate jump back into the swamp and skip the first half of the shanty town by taking the farthest back platform back up into it from the swamp. Run or carefully fight your way to the boss gate through the remaining area and prepare for the colossus. The key to beating him is two handing your Crescent Falchion, keeping the bugs off of you, and never letting him hit you with a melee (the bug damage gnawing at you will be hard enough to manage). Anytime you are covered, use a torch to burn them off. Stay vigilant; this boss fight at this stage with this SL and equip is a battle of attrition. Once you have killed him return to nexus and buy plenty of arrows for your compound-long-bow. You should not need more than 200 or so but 400 is a good safe number. You are going to arrow walk5-3-boss to death. Enter the boss area and backstab the depraved ones off the cliff or kill them. Stand on the edge of the wooden platform on the far right and snipe walk5-3-boss from here. Stay persistent and arrow her constantly; she will heal and overcome your damage but she'll stop for extended periods between the spells, allowing you to gain enough ground to kill her.. I comboed over 5 times her normal HP from shooting her so much in my run. Ignore garl-vinland for now (or take his shield for a good shield early) and grab the ds-pureblood. Congrats! You now have all mats for the BBS. Use your Crescent Falchion to blast through 2-1 and 2-2 and go make your weapon at blacksmith-ed after killing walk2-2-boss.

I was going to check the wiki when I got home, but thanks! Definitely a pretty detailed plan... I've never fought Leechmonger in melee before. For that matter I'm not sure if I've fought the Colossus melee or not. I know I'm not familiar with what it's talking about using a torch when covered with the bugs.

Not sure if I would do it as a Wanderer or Royal... though I'd really love the class name to be Thief. I'll have to work out starting stats and see how much difference there'd be. I'd probably be off a few soul levels, but eh.

World 5 is tough enough as it is, knowing vaguely where I'm going helps certainly but I can still see deaths happening... and at the moment I'm trying to remember where in 5-2 the Broken Sword is. It isn't out where the Meat Cleaver BP patrols, is it? Ugh...

it is

or it can drop off a dregling in 1-1

I've actually had it drop before, not sure if it as on my first or second character, but yeah.

On the subject of the squid faces, knowing their patrol route and waiting in a spot where you can wait for them to turn around is great. I usually rush them at that point, two-hand your weapon and smash them hard in the back. My first character had a Dragon Longsword (the fire damage is great) and would just wreck them. My second character, I didn't even bother two-handing, I just hefted my Meat Cleaver up and brought it down on their heads. They didn't stand a chance.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have like 2 for some reason. I died at the very end of the level and used a lot of them to get back to my bloodstain at certain parts.

Siiigh, at least I have some turpentine.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have like 2 for some reason. I died at the very end of the level and used a lot of them to get back to my bloodstain at certain parts.

That'll do. You should be able to kill the little guys with that, and you can take your time on the big fellow when they're all dead; he doesn't have any attacks of his own.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That'll do. You should be able to kill the little guys with that, and you can take your time on the big fellow when they're all dead; he doesn't have any attacks of his own.

Ya. All your looking to do is open a wedge somewhere in his minion armor. I often post a message saying:

The next enemy's weakness is when it turns. And this is the truth.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

except spawning more guys

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wait until you get to 1-2. Your gonna learn to listen and RUN!

That or bring 200+ arrows and learn to snipe at that first tower.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I've never seen him spawn more guys.

I've seen guys he's carrying get off, but never seen more spawn.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »

I've never seen him spawn more guys.

I've seen guys he's carrying get off, but never seen more spawn.

Yeah. Once I killed off all the little dudes I stood in the middle of the room and returned a phone call that happened in the middle of the fight, 10 minutes later came back and hacked him to pieces while he tried to run away.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Phalanx does spawn new guys, but not at a terribly fast pace so once you get rid of the huge initial first group you should be able to get him down before it gets insane again.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Phalanx does spawn new guys, but not at a terribly fast pace so once you get rid of the huge initial first group you should be able to get him down before it gets insane again.

Are you sure it's not just on NG+? I literally stood there vulnerable for 10 minutes, came back and not a single spawned enemy.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've noticed once you figure a boss out...they go down like a ragdoll in a minute at most.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've noticed once you figure a boss out...they go down like a ragdoll in a minute at most.

Except Maneater, Old Monk or the Old Kings, depending on character build.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Huh, I guess it can regen them. I wonder why it didn't for me.

EDIT: Oh:
    DS Wiki wrote:
    The Hoplites will re-spawn, after a period of around 2 minutes or so per small group of Hoplite, until the last one is slain.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Demon's Souls topic has been very active lately...

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Recent release in Europe might be one of the factors that renewed interest. Myself, I just gave it one last try to click with me before trading it in and it finally did.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, everyone likes advising/scaring off new players.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I got back in to it recently due to PWWT + MMO burnout + then my computer fried last night.

If anybody has a character around SL 50 I will be on to play probably most of tonight. From like 7pm EST onward. I also have a SL 120 melee Faith build I can play on too.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I very well may start messing around with making a BBS build tonight. Though I'm thinking after I get what I need from 4-1, there'd be no harm in doing at least 2-1 for some items and such. Though to be honest, I've never tried Armored Spider in melee range... Tyrant made it look *fairly* easy.

But since you have to do both 2-2 and 5-3 to get the BBS made, you can kind of do them in either order...

Also tempted to duck into 3-1 to snag the Silver Bracelet and probably the Black Leather Armor. Love the look of that stuff.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Armoured Spider in melee is far, far easier than at range.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

Not if you hang out in a safe spot

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Not if you hang out in a safe spot

Yeah, what? It's completely cheeseballing it at range. It can't *be* easier than that.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Armoured Spider can be killed in melee by rushing forward, dodging between the fireballs, then hitting it in the face a few times. One or two healing grasses may be needed if you don't have a decent shield.
    It's the easiest thing.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Armoured Spider can be killed at range by rushing to a safe spot, standing still as the fireballs hit a wall, then shooting it in the face a few times. One or two shield raises may be necessary to block his webshot that does hardly any damage.
    It's the easiest thing.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The difference is that there are some character builds that do not range well.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Armoured Spider can be killed in melee by rushing forward, dodging between the fireballs, then hitting it in the face a few times. One or two healing grasses may be needed if you don't have a decent shield.
    It's the easiest thing.

Yeah, still not easier than ranged cheeseballing. Elldren has it right.

Oh no question, especially not long range. But that still doesn't make melee fighting the Spider 'easier' than doing it ranged. It's just the only option left.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

right.

If you don't have a bow or a spell with some mana to spend (any spell works) you probably shouldn't try killing any bosses at range.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Shall we at least agree that it's the easiest boss in the game?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I personally found Phalanx easier.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Depends, is it easier than Penetrator when you have Biorr helping you?

Because, that's pretty damn easy.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How do I tell if I can use an item or not? I'm having issues figuring out the item stats system they have going on here, it's really confusing. For example, I have a Purple Flame Shield, but I can't equip it with 1 hand, and I'm not sure what stat to increase to be able to equip it.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh ho ho, I see you've run into DS' archaic method of telling you things about equipment. I can't remember what it calls the line they're on at the moment (someone else will beat me to this anyway), but there should be 4 symbols each with a number beside them. That particular line is the requirements to equip the item correctly and the symbols from left to right mean, Strength, Dexterity, Magic and Faith.

Also, below that line on equipment is another line of symbols and numbers... these symbols vary depending on if it's a defensive piece or offensive piece, but they stand for special damage types or special damage resistance types. Or maybe they're the same between the two... something about Bleeding effects, Fire, Poison and Disease? Gah, been too long since I've played.

If you don't meet the requirements, you can usually still equip an item thought you can't use it to its base effectiveness and it will be worse.

If Strength is the requirement you don't meet, such as for a weapon, you can hit Triangle to sling your shield over your shoulder and equip the weapon with two hands. This causes your Strength to be counted as 1 and a half times your actual strength value for purposes of the weapon's requirements. I think that's the only real exception.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Super great for doing something like "big two-hander" and adjudicator's shield

Kazaka on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Demon's Souls topic has been very active lately...

I am back into it because its a game that i feel i could get all the achievements on, and I currently dont have the money to get any new PS3 games or the computer to get any new steam games.

Also its just a great game.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh ho ho, I see you've run into DS' archaic method of telling you things about equipment. I can't remember what it calls the line they're on at the moment (someone else will beat me to this anyway), but there should be 4 symbols each with a number beside them. That particular line is the requirements to equip the item correctly and the symbols from left to right mean, Strength, Dexterity, Magic and Faith.

If you don't meet the requirements, you can usually still equip an item thought you can't use it to its base effectiveness and it will be worse.

If Strength is the requirement you don't meet, such as for a weapon, you can hit Triangle to sling your shield over your shoulder and equip the weapon with two hands. This causes your Strength to be counted as 1 and a half times your actual strength value for purposes of the weapon's requirements. I think that's the only real exception.

This works for any two handed weapon, or any one handed weapon wielded with both hands. So bows as well.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

This works for any two handed weapon, or any one handed weapon wielded with both hands. So bows as well.

Right, but in that way, the only actual 'two-handed' weapons are bows/crossbows. Because I do believe that even things like the huge Dragon Bonesmasher can be used in one hand if your natural strength is high enough, correct?

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Right, but in that way, the only actual 'two-handed' weapons are bows/crossbows. Because I do believe that even things like the huge Dragon Bonesmasher can be used in one hand if your natural strength is high enough, correct?

crossbows can be used one-handed

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So what build is the most fun for an experienced Demon's souls player. (no magic) I have a friend at work that is just starting to get into demon's souls and I'd like to make a player around his soul level. (30 or so)

Is a Dex knife build doable? Can you effectively pvp with it? Or perhaps a str Bramd or Dragon Crusher.

Tell me what build to play next.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    greeble wrote: »
    So what build is the most fun for an experienced Demon's souls player. (no magic) I have a friend at work that is just starting to get into demon's souls and I'd like to make a player around his soul level. (30 or so)

Is a Dex knife build doable? Can you effectively pvp with it? Or perhaps a str Bramd or Dragon Crusher.

I find the big weapons just insuperably slow. Do they swing faster if you have ridiculous strength or something?

Kazaka on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Knife builds? The Syphon is the most popular (Geri's Dagger and Ignite) but uses magic, which you said no to.

I've seen and (Due to unexpectedness.) got my ass handed to me once by a dual knife setup. Talked to the guy afterward and he told me he was using a Fatal Secret Dagger and Baby's Nail, then he complimented me on my armor setup (Fluted helm, Gloom Armor, Sage's Hands and Boots.) saying it not only looked good but really took him off his game.

Basically, if you do this knife build, watch out for Gloom armor and Istarelle if you PVP.
    Kazaka wrote: »

I find the big weapons just insuperably slow. Do they swing faster if you have ridiculous strength or something?

Swing speed isn't affected by stats. It's a tradeoff between fucktons of damage and knockdown, or shittons of damage and speed.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"