As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON] Dark Souls/Demon's Souls! This is the old thread. STOP POSTING HERE

• Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    His archway is to the right of that arch. He's standing there next to a bunch of jars. You have to agree to help him out, and say yes to joining his Covenant I believe before he'll sell you any Miracles.

Your experience may be different though. I started out as the Cleric, and I was already a member of the Way of the White Covenant, so he was happy to teach me spells. I don't imagine it'd be different for anyone else, but just letting you know in case.

That's the weird part, I'm a cleric too, but I was undead when i met him, and he gave me a coin and told me to leave him alone.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I killed 1-1's shopkeeper. :( I only hit him once, and he went crazy. What happened to forgiveness?

Please say someone else sells those normal arrows. (And the repair box...)

wVEsyIc.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    You need to keep talking to him. Spam conversations with everyone until they loop.

Edit: this is to hiryu

Inquisitor on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    WHAT THE FUCK CURSE!? HOW DO I GET RID OF!? Do I really need to backtrack?!

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Badwrong wrote:
    its weird but the strength reqs definitely decrease if you use it in 2 hands. See this page and take note of the asterisk
    * when two handing a weapon, strength requirements are decreased. See individual weapons page for details.

They could have changed this in darksouls, I dont know

Right, I know it is less when wielding WITH 2 hands. I'm talking about if a "2 HANDED" sword is wielded with "1 HAND". Like if you have a claymore in one hand and a shield in the other. It requires extra strength.

Um... so you are saying that the Dragon Bonesmasher, whose shown strength requirement is 30, would be greater than 30 when wielded one handed? Even though we know that the two handed req is 20?

20: 2 hands
    30:?
    More than 30: 1 hand

The 30 must be referring to 1 handed wielding. It doesn't make sense for there to be three requirements.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So, either the game is broken, or there's just some special flags that I haven't hit or SOMEthing. Also, I think I screwed myself out of the White Order completely by accident (which would be very stupid if it's true).

First, I rescued the guy from the Parish with the Mysterious key, and he's all "Yeah yeah, you'll get your reward. I need to get out of here first." Whatevs. I go kill the Bell Gargoyles (after a few attempts) and also, strangely, didn't see a sign to summon Solaire with (probably because I wasn't in human form). Anyway, the mini-guide states that the dude I rescued should be at the Firelink Shrine sitting there, but he's not. I haven't been to Under Berg yet, so he *should* be there waiting.

As for the White Order, I spoke to him to buy a miracle, and decided "Hey brah, sup? I feel like chattin" and chose to talk to him. He's all "Well, our missions might be similar, but only if you pony up some souls" and this prompt comes up to give him 1700 souls. I don't have 1700 on me, so then he turns into a suck and says his mission is sacred, and I can't be a part of it. Now whenever I try to talk to him again, he just repeats himself and doesn't give me a chance to give him money (though I can still buy miracles). Seriously, if I just got screwed out of being able to Rank up with his Covenant, than he and his Princess can go buzz off with the re-animating skeletons a few sections to the left.

The guy you rescued will show up at the shrine. Just takes him a little while. And giving the White Order guy souls has nothing to do with his covenant. You've missed the option to hear some optional dialogue by saying no but nothing else.
    gunwarrior wrote:
    Depths:
    "Thank god the boss area actually looks good compared to the crap covered hallways before. Its huge! whats this note? get the tail? alright.

Oh its an alligator? Wait what WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK"

Anyone past here yet? I'm still trying to get over the shock.

That boss is actually super easy. Easier than any boss, mini boss, and most normal encounters up to that point.

After that though, when you start going through the
    swamp, with all the firebreathing wasp things and the ghouls...
    *shudder*

Vi Monks on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    So I've been playing. Man fuck the distance between some of these bonfires :(

steam_sig.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Ha, I wound up on the same spot as the guy in 8-4 Play in their last podcast.
    an area with five treasure chests, followed by oh shit skeletons.

I managed to escape back to the bonfire though, but it got scary when those fuckers lingered around for a couple minutes.

But it's worth doing because one of the weapons is a morningstar. The riposte with that weapon is excellent.

"Face, meet Mace"

Anyway, twice now my PS3's fan has been spinning super fast while playing this game. Has this been happening for anyone else?

I'm really hoping it's a known bug, and not a sign that my PS3 is nearing death. I repaired it once already....

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:
    Wow, Bell Gargoyles are easy as hell if you summon Solaris Knight

Is this the...
    Golden guy who was in the prison? Do I need to be human to do that?
    Nope, it's not the prison guy. If you are human, right before you walk through the light onto the church roof where you fight the gargoyles, there will be a summon thingy that gives you the option to summon Solaris Knight. He makes the fight very easy.

...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I haven't come across it, but I hope there's a Meat Cleaver equivalent in this game.

Are you the magic man?
    Does anyone know what the poise stat does?

Fuck those Basilisks in the sewers... OMG! I have permanent 1/4 health...

pretty proud of myself though vs the
    taurus demon, 2 black bombs plus 1 plunge attack with the astora's sword = dead demon in less than 15 seconds.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    Poise makes it more/less likely that you will be staggered or interrupted by attacks during your own attacks.

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    When you're looking at the stats screen, you can hit select for an incomplete, math-lacking description of the various stats. It's kind of helpful... sometimes.

Honestly games like this need manuals that are more than 4 pages long.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    Wow, the sword you get from
    sniping the dragon's tail
    is awesome. It's so much better than anything else I have found so far.

Are there two bosses in the sewers? I just beat the
    toothy vagina dragon
    but I could have sworn I saw another mist door somewhere. Is there anywhere else I should check out before going down to blight town?

sig2-2.jpg
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Keen! I joined Nito!

<3

The entry level reward is awesome.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    Am I missing something with armor or weapon upgrades? I'm at the forest area past undead parish (totally just forgot the name) and i'm still wearing the beginner armor and weaponry for the Bandit (though my weapon has been upgraded to +5). The only Axe i've found is the Gargoyle Tail axe, which has worse stats than my beginner axe and the only armor i've found is heavy armor meant for slower moving classes.

...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    Dangerous wrote:
    Wow, the sword you get from
    sniping the dragon's tail
    is awesome. It's so much better than anything else I have found so far.

Are there two bosses in the sewers? I just beat the
    toothy vagina dragon
    but I could have sworn I saw another mist door somewhere. Is there anywhere else I should check out before going down to blight town?
    Many places have multiple mist doors, not all of them lead to bosses. If you got the hp leech ring then you should be fine leaving there. Also, make sure you have some purple moss and a few blooming purple moss.

• Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    some adventuring an a weapon question
    so I run past the demon near the blacksmith into the forest area (guy is an ass). the trees are easy enough to kill, but I run into some giant statues and say fuck that,so I go another way and it leads me down a path where I get 2 sweet armor sets (just starting class sets). I head down this winding path that just goes deeper and deeper, kill a gecko for some sweet ore, kill a black knight for another peice of sweet ore (backstab is basically cheating) then I head into a cave with a bonfire (yes!) and down an elevator that takes me even deeper apparently and I end up in the dragon valley on the other side of the giant zombie dragon that breathes miasma.

Now, why the fuck is my bandits dagger randomly doing 300+ damage? I was kicking dragon ass with ease, and I think I'm actually gonna farm this area since they are right near the elevator to the bonfire. it makes killing them super easy as their breath attack takes forever and is stupid easy to dodge and they give 500 souls.

Why use any other weapon?

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
    OMG! I have 5000 souls... in the sewer... I need to make it out and decurse.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is it just me or is the moonlight demon really really really really really easy?
    I summoned the switch and just dodged the attacks while she killed it.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Hm, it seems you can't have magic shield and magic weapon running at the same time. To put the spell on you need your implement in one hand and your weapon or shield in the other. But if you put the weapon or shield away you lose the buff.

Also I want to join Nito so bad.

So curses are 6000 souls to cure. Jeremy Christ. Thank goodness I had a soldier's soul. At least I have fully explored the sewers, now to just beat vagina dragon.

• gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote:
    some adventuring an a weapon question
    so I run past the demon near the blacksmith into the forest area (guy is an ass). the trees are easy enough to kill, but I run into some giant statues and say fuck that,so I go another way and it leads me down a path where I get 2 sweet armor sets (just starting class sets). I head down this winding path that just goes deeper and deeper, kill a gecko for some sweet ore, kill a black knight for another peice of sweet ore (backstab is basically cheating) then I head into a cave with a bonfire (yes!) and down an elevator that takes me even deeper apparently and I end up in the dragon valley on the other side of the giant zombie dragon that breathes miasma.

Now, why the fuck is my bandits dagger randomly doing 300+ damage? I was kicking dragon ass with ease, and I think I'm actually gonna farm this area since they are right near the elevator to the bonfire. it makes killing them super easy as their breath attack takes forever and is stupid easy to dodge and they give 500 souls.

Why use any other weapon?

Its a bleed effect. Basically a more powerful version of the effect dog bites have on you. Keep hitting them and you'll eventually get a huge damage bonus like that. Different enemies have different resistances though. So a zombie might take that damage in 3 hits while it might take 6 for a dragon to take it.

• RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    So I got what I think is the last strategy guide in my whole city. Best Buy had none, and only 1 of the Gamestops got any in. I put a hold on one last night through their online service. When I came in to pick it up after classes today, they said it was their only copy they got in, and that they had to turn away 8 people who wanted to buy it because I had it on hold. Thank god they didn't sell it.

For $25 it is an amazing guide. Super thick, tons of full color art pages, hardcover. The maps are invaluable. I'm really gonna get my mileage out of this one.

Now to resist reading ahead so all my surprises aren't spoiled...

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Apparently I'm now spreading misery to lure black phantoms.

So if you're feeling miserable that might be me.

Praise papa Nito!

I can't use the reward yet but it sure is shiny. Nine more soul levels!

Joining him gave me
    A scaling sword with 255 attack, 300 poison rating. All on 24 strength and 13 dex.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    So how do I make a divine weapon? I gave the black smith the divine thing and I'm not sure what to do

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Toothy-Vagina Dragon BEAT! AM GOAL! Now helping others. I have racked up 4 humanity on my body... Terrifying to lose.

• SpicyStacy288SpicyStacy288 Registered User regular
    i just got invaded for the first time. the guy joined, i stood there with my shield up for 5 minutes and never saw him. The game doesn't let you leave the area or quit. I ran into the church to kill the caped skeletons and the asshole pops in while i'm are busy with them and kills me with 3 fire spells. no balls!

Why wont the two skeletons at the start of the catacombs stay dead?

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Huzzah! After feeling fairly down about not accomplishing shit in the first 6 hours, I buckled down today and got past both the Bell Gargoyles and that asshole Capra Demon. Think it's finally clicked with me, much the same way Demon's Souls did after a few hours or so.

• SpicyStacy288SpicyStacy288 Registered User regular
    i just got invaded for the first time. the guy joined, i stood there with my shield up for 5 minutes and never saw him. The game doesn't let you leave the area or quit. I ran into the church to kill the caped skeletons and the asshole pops in while i'm are busy with them and kills me with 3 fire spells. no balls!

in theory i like the mechanic though. you really have plenty of time to position yourself to leave your bloodstain in an easy to reach spot, assuming the guy who invades you has a shred of honor and doesn't play like a complete pussy!

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular

in theory i like the mechanic though. you really have plenty of time to position yourself to leave your bloodstain in an easy to reach spot, assuming the guy who invades you has a shred of honor and doesn't play like a complete pussy!

I'm just shocked that anyone expects black phantoms to fight with a shred of honor or dignity.

I mean, I don't expect it from any other enemies in this game, and compared to the computer, I'd expect people to be far more evil.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    I have absolutely no idea what to do now. I accidentally upgraded my halberd to +1 and I can't seem to make divine weapons and I can't kill the skeletons in the catacombs. Fuck.

• GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Rang the first bell today, and then proceeded into the forest. Decided to go the basin first.
    When I first got down there I went "Wait is that a creature or a waterfall? Oh shit that's a creature. Wait is that Orochi?" Then I died because he has the eyes of a hawk and hit me with water as I ran away. Luckily I got it back fairly easily.

Probably won't go there again for a while.

Well, I beat the dragon, ran back to the start of the game. Apparently:
    The crow is gone. He carried a man away...

ACK! I hit the guy near the start and he is now aggro. Must repent!

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Honor in DS fights comes in after-fight PMs, either they're messages thanking a good match or taunts.
    There is no honor on the actual battlefield.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    58000 SOULS to absolve myself?! This game has no heart. These developers were sadists.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I found the capra demon everyones been complaining about..that was..unpleasent

steam xbox - adeptpenguin