As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good place for car battery (and which cable do I pull first?)

NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I am in need of a car battery for my '99 Honda Civic. I haven't bought a battery in maybe a decade, so I am not sure who makes a good one these days. I have access to a Sears, Firestone, NTB, Pep Boys, and some other smaller mechanics. I know there are different grades of batteries they try to sell you, but do these really matter?

I am comfortable changing it on my own, but its been a long time, so I also need a reminder on what order the cables get pulled and then reattached.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
steam_sig-400.png
NailbunnyPD on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think you're supposed to disconnect the ground first (which doesn't make sense to me), but honestly, it doesn't really matter. I've disconnected a ton of batteries and pretty much always do it differently without any problems.

Edit: From Wikipedia:
    When changing a battery, battery manufacturers recommend disconnecting the ground connection first to prevent accidental short-circuits between the battery terminal and the vehicle frame. A study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Association estimated that in 1994 more than 2000 people were injured in the United States while working with automobile batteries.

You would then reconnect it in reverse order, power then ground.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Try the dealership for prices too.

Also, bring your core or else they can charge you more money if you don't.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It doesn't really matter where you go to get batteries. I get mine from wherever, really.

All I can recommend is that since it says you're living in a northern climate, get the largest battery that fits in the holder, and the one with the most cold cranking amps (CCA), to help with starting your car on those really cold days (I have no idea what the climate is like in Delaware, but I imagine it's like most of the upper NE states...).

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, if you're able to drive it there, the best method is just bring a socket set and change it in the parking lot. Take the old one out, go in and buy the new one, then come out and put the new one in.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    TheAngryDealerTheAngryDealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    you can get decent batteries just about anywhere. Wal-Mart, NTB, Sears, Auto Zone, etc. Price can very depending on what brand you want and what brand the location has available so I'd check prices online.

TheAngryDealer on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A lot of the auto parts stores will change it for you if you ask nicely.

wmelon on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've purchased my batteries from Wal-Mart for over ten years. They consistently price theirs a good ten to twenty dollars less than say, Auto Zone or wherever.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I lived in Alaska for a 3 year stent and I would also recommend in climates that is getting cold as stated above that you get a large one with the highest cold cranking amps. I personally bought my batteries at Shucks auto supply. They also go by the name Checker and Kragen. I also opted for the platinum battery, it was about 20 bucks more but also was covered for 2 years. If you are like me and leave the lights on every now and then it is worth it. I completely killed the battery once and took it in. within 5 minutes I had a new one and was on my way. Oh it was also stated above that you should take the old one in. if you do not you will be charged what they call a core charge. Kind-a like a recycling fee in a lose sense. I know when I have bought new batteries it was something like $20-$40.

vhannroy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    vhannroy wrote: »
    Oh it was also stated above that you should take the old one in. if you do not you will be charged what they call a core charge. Kind-a like a recycling fee in a lose sense. I know when I have bought new batteries it was something like $20-$40.

The last time I got a battery (from Wal-mart), which was about 3 months ago, it was about $10, so I guess it varies based on several things.

But yeah, it's really the best thing to do, unless you have a way to recycle the old battery.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    armandjones82armandjones82 Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    You can have a good car battery from some shops in the internet or in the local retail stores around your area. But before that, try to research for a good battery for your car in all aspects that you can think of. Money-wise, performance-wise and year-wise is the key in order to have a good car battery that you will purchase.

armandjones82 on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just replaced my battery in an '03 Tiburon and it was like 68 bucks installed at walmart for a 3yr warrantied battery. Mine's wierd to fit too. Pep Boys wanted 130 plus installation.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wound up getting a Diehard Gold and swapped it in the Sears lot for $90. They would have done it for an additonal $15. I poked around, and it appears there are 5 brands that are made by the same quality manufacturer, and Diehard was one of those brands. The CCA was also on the upper range of batteries for my vehicle.

Walmart would have been cheaper, and their batteries seem to be regarded as pretty good. They also do free installs. I just didn't want to drive out of my way to get there.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png