As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotmail and stopping MSN Messenger auto-sign in

The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so, I'm on a Mac, running Safari, and doing all my MSN messenger chatting via a third party software called Adium, and using hotmail for my email.

So, within the last couple of weeks, Hotmail underwent an update. Now, when I sign into hotmail, it auto-signs me into a version of MSN that runs within the browser window, similar to Facebook chat. I have two problems with this: 1) It boots me off of Adium whenever I do this, as it counts my browser window as being signed in at another location, and 2) I don't want to pop up on MSN every time I check my email.

So, is there a way to disable this new feature? Because I've been clicking around and can't find any way to turn it off. At the very least, is there a way to stop it from kicking me off Adium when I sign in?

The Last Gent on

• RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It took a lot of research to find the answer to this question, but I think I've got it. I've tested it out, and it's worked over a couple of sign-out/sign-ins.

When you log in to Hotmail, your name appears in the top right hand corner of the screen. If you hover your mouse over your name, a pop-up will appear with options to change your theme, edit your account, adjust options, and most importantly sign you out of MSN Messenger.

Once you sign out, it doesn't automatically sign you back in. Or at least, it hasn't done it yet.

Hope this helps.

Rderdall on
    steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It works! EVERYONE READ THIS THREAD.

Thanks so much. Mods can lock.

The Last Gent on
  • RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yay! I solved a problem!