As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e PbP] A Dragon, A Princess, and Adventure [WORLD MAP]

15678911»

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ready!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For when we are ready to keep tracking...

Perception: 1d20+13 = 31

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    bratrbratr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Time passes quickly, you are moving as fast as you can, hoping that you run into clues as you move. Soon noon passes and shortly after you eat a small meal while still trekking through the woodland. The trip to the Northern border can be done in about a day on horse, but because you are on foot and through the forest it will probably take about 3. Just as you are finishing the mid-day meal Erdan locates another mark of the dragon's passing, this time however the scale is accompanied with feces, still it appears fortune is with you and you are in fact trekking in the right direction.

As you head north you start to hear the sound of running water, soon you come upon a fast flowing river with crystal clear water. Downstream is in the South west direction and up steam it heads North East but then curves east towards some rocky hills from which it is possible it springs, you will need to cross the river, but heading part of the way along it might lead to a fresh supply of water, although the river itself appears clean enough to drink.

River is about 10 ft across and is flowing at about a movement of 3.

bratr on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do we need to make checks to cross the river?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Are there any sturdy trees near the banks of the river?

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zellan examines the dragon's feces, trying to determine what it ate or see if there are any clues therein.

nature check on dragon poop: 1d20+2 = 21

Do we have any sort of direction on which way to follow the river? I'm assuming we want to head northeast since we know that's the general direction the dragon went.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do we need a fresh supply of water?

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well the cliffs to the north east are not very high, they are nearby and are a part of Crystal Kingdom. As I said it takes you about three days to cross the Kingdom

Zellan leans down to study the dragon feces. A brave thing to do. Luckily the smell is not as strong as expected. From the remains you can deduce that the dragon has probably not ate since the deer. Considering the natural length of time digestion takes you make an estimate that it is traveling about twice as quickly as you. You would think it would travel three times as fast considering its a flying creature. Perhaps it is weighed down or not in a hurry.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also just to add to the above.

The need for fresh water is more of a story one.

I mean you are hiking for about half a day or so. You have to carry all your gear, how much water will you carry. Any fresh water is probably good. But saying that I won't penalize for not rping "I fill my water pouch".

bratr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Again I must ask, are there any sturdy looking trees on both sides of the river?

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    oops, and yes you can find sturdy trees on the banks, it is a forest, no shortage of trees, shrubs, and grasses of various kinds.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I suggest we send the person with the best athletics across to tie a rope to one tree, and I'll tie the other end of the rope to a tree on this bank, then we can send everyone else across so they can hold onto the rope, which should make this a hell of a lot easier

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    that makes sense. I'm pretty sure my armor would make crossing the river a little hard =P.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well...based on stats looks like it's Jamie to do the crossing. Once the rope is tied we can have everyone else cross and I'll be last (I've got the second best score). This way I can pull myself along and we won't lose the rope. Also all of you will be able to help pull me along so it should be fairly quick

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Swimming review: Athletics check, DC 15 (rushing water)

Swim or Tread Water: Part of a move action.
    ✦ DC: See the table.
    ✦ Success: You swim at one-half your speed, or you
    stay afloat and tread water.
    ✦ Fail by 4 or Less: Stay where you are and lose the
    rest of your move action. You can try again as part of
    a move action.
    ✦ Fail by 5 or More: Sink 1 square and risk suffocation
    by drowning (details are in Chapter 9 of the
    Dungeon Master’s Guide).

Additional note, after each roll the river moves the swimmer 3 feet down river. Its quite a fast moving river, it flows about as fast as most of you can swim.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    haha yea at my move speed i get washed waay down the river before I get across.

Would CP's plan stop us from getting washed down the river/help us not drown?

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well yes if you have a rope it will be just a strength check, at a reduced DC due to having a guiding rope

Edit: However loosing hold of the rope.......

bratr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes, what I'm thinking is that the person crossing will be on the upriver side of the rope (so the current is pushing them into the rope instead of away from it). Should also help reduce the DC by about 1 or 2 for just having to lean on the rope, as opposed to hold on.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sorry for not posting for a week. I think at this point you all might just want to replace me. I'm not going to consistently have the time to post any more.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat as well. This semester is turning out to be a lot more work than I initially anticipated =/

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Honestly I'm in tough as well, i expected it to be easy but Im getting behind; Rather than search for new players I'll probably have to close, or at best Postpone this game.

I mean if people want to continue it whenever people have time, it would just become incredibly slow.

I'm going to think this over though. No decisions yet, I'll wait for the reactions of Crimson, Alkey and Mighty

bratr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    it's a shame, but i totally understand - i'm pretty busy myself this semester. I'm okay with having the game run slow, but if it ends up being postponed/dropped because we all don't have time then that's cool too.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm in the same boat, I want the game to continue, but I hardly ever have time to get on and write up a serious post anymore. I think almost all of the games that I'm in are doing the same thing, we all get too busy and the games are just dropping like flies

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My degree let me get a job where I sit around bored most days recently, so I am not in the same boat. But I understand if things are too much. Happens all the time with RL groups. I would rather it slow down than end, but understand which ever way it goes.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to keep the thread alive for a little bit longer, see if we can keep things trickling at all, if Kilroy and eclipse however if we don't get anything at all then ill just close the thread. Maybe do something new over the break. Im thinking maybe for PbP short story type games might be better. You know: Minions in the Hall, a trap room, some shiny objects, and a boss fight, I don't think postponing a game makes much sense Im not sure whether the chances of us being able to or wanting to pick it back up in a couple months is realistic.

Regardless of what happens, I liked running this game, well the begining of one. I hope people got at least a little entertainment out of the fight, sorry that it favoured some people over others.

bratr on