As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monday Night Combat - You got DotA in my Guns!

• Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Argh. 34 hours to go.
    Thats 34 hours too many.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Blue map wrote: »
    It's also worth mentioning that Uber Entertainment plans to continue supporting Monday Night Combat after launch. Uber's John Comes told me that basic balance adjustments can be made "on the fly without needing to do a patch" and, while he wouldn't confirm any specific DLC, he did say that "some announcements" are scheduled for PAX Prime 2010 in September.

YES YES YES!

Quick, predict something else about the game!

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blue map wrote: »
    It's also worth mentioning that Uber Entertainment plans to continue supporting Monday Night Combat after launch. Uber's John Comes told me that basic balance adjustments can be made "on the fly without needing to do a patch" and, while he wouldn't confirm any specific DLC, he did say that "some announcements" are scheduled for PAX Prime 2010 in September.

YES YES YES!

Quick, predict something else about the game!

It will lose points at Destructoid for "Having too much strategy" and "Requiring too much teamwork" and "Not being TF2."

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    It will lose points at IGN for "not enough content" and "terrible music" and "Not being Minesweeper."

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It will lose points at IGN for "not enough content" and "terrible music" and "Not being Minesweeper."

And "made shit up because they didn't play it."

Cantido on
  • Options
    SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Meanwhile, "Imagine: Party Babyz 2 is perhaps one of the most innovative games I have ever played... ten out of ten."

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    Mister_PenguinMister_Penguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I never really played DOTA/Brütal Legend/GG2, but I love the hell out of Herzog Zwei - is that in the ballpark of what's going on?

Mister_Penguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I never really played DOTA/Brütal Legend/GG2, but I love the hell out of Herzog Zwei - is that in the ballpark of what's going on?

The genre is so rare it borrows from just about everything. Know that GG2 really is Console DotA and BL is Modern Herzog Zwei.

The army itself is more like GG2. Your army is passive, and will automatically fight the other army, and if left alone, will cancel out the other army forever. The path they take is linear, predetermined, and drawn on the ground, making the RTS part more simplistic than both GG2 and BL. The predetermined paths are straight out of GG2. And like GG2, the army is 100% infantry. No cars or Double Teams to interact with like BL. (I'm going to BL's unit interactivity dearly, but not enough to skip this.)

The arena structures, and the power of the Pros are more like BL. Avatars are not confined to the same routes the robots take. They are free to run around, fight and sometimes fly wherever they want. (GG2's maps are stings of tight corridors and it SUCKS.) Also, avatars are not godly like they are GG2. In GG2, you are powerful, but if you die your base sacrifices health to revive you. In BL, you are weak, and not to play like you're Lu Bu because death gives your opponent resources. So player power is more like BL.

Of course, MNC is a 3rd person shooter, so a cornered player can headshot their way out of situations Eddie Riggs and Sol Badguy cannot.

What it does differently from both is that it revolves entirely around team battles, has NO resource nodes (making killing more important), and has party elements such as Bacon and the Mascot. But it's pretty clear it's going to be just as frantic as those games.

Also, no factions. There is one generic army, and matches are always red versus blue. GG2 had five armies. BL had three.

Cantido on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fuuuck, why cant this be released on the ps3 or pc? It really seems like the kind of game i would play forever.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have wednesday off. I have wednesday OFF.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sagaxus wrote: »

Meanwhile, "Imagine: Party Babyz 2 is perhaps one of the most innovative games I have ever played... ten out of ten."

Shockingly, they gave it an 8/10 http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1111207p1.html

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    StyrkaStyrka Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    IGN wrote:
    Monday Night Combat doesn't offer a large variety of modes or maps, but all of the content being offered is focused and fun.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1111207p1.html

Yup.

Wang for Bacon.

e: supaslow

Styrka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sagaxus wrote: »

Shockingly, they gave it an 8/10 http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1111207p1.html

Wow. They reviewed a multiplayer game's multiplayer? Like they're supposed to? No LOL RTS spasm? Good. The game is getting the attention it deserves.

Cantido on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So one of Uber's animators is a ninja/parkourist. Apparently this dude both designed, performed and animated some of the grapple animations. And its awesome.
    http://www.uberent.com/media/videos/ubers_wall_running_animating_ninja

D...Did he just double jump over that garbage bin?

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Uh, I think he simply jumped while pulling his legs into his body. [/partypooper]

Booker on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Booker wrote: »
    Uh, I think he simply jumped while pulling his legs into his body. [/partypooper]

you're not fun enough to play this game

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »
    I have wednesday off. I have wednesday OFF.

Excellent.

Also, to give perspective on how much this game is on my mind, here is my thought process while looking through my class readings.

"Factors conventionally used to explain this are lack of capital, [tiny]Monday Night Combat[/tiny] Monday Night Combat, Monday Night Combat, Monday Night Combat!"

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, this game looks pretty rad. The Support Pro looks pretty fun. It kind of feels like the OP is missing a description of one of the Pros, the last one in the class video that has what looked like beam weapons?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Booker wrote: »

you're not fun enough to play this game

:(

I know, I'll try semi-useful information.

The OP is missing the Gunner class, which has a kickass minigun and a robotic leg to stabilize his relentless bullets of spam. Soon to be wrapped in bacon.

I think the beam gun goes with the Tank class.

Booker on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I dunno, this game sounds like it might be just what I was looking for as a break from TF2. And considering the game is 6 on 6, as far as I am concerned I only need five other interested PAers to have a blast. :D

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would fucking LOVE it if we got enough PAers into this game to actually start forming teams and make a league.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I would fucking LOVE it if we got enough PAers into this game to actually start forming teams and make a league.

That would be fucking amazing. Hell, even just getting enough regulars for some friendly PA scrims would be rad as hell.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love the addition of bacon. It's like they drilled a hole in my head and saw what my dreams were made of.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm down to get this if we can form a team or at least an established team of regulars.

battledrill on

edited August 2010

This so hard.

Regular seasons, playoffs. League leaders. Highlights. Oh man.

:( Now I am sad because this will probably never happen.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Then don't limit it to PA. Either find a pub league to join or start one. A game like this thrives on that.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    cwoaccwoac Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah hell, sign me up (live id cwoac), although I may not be able to play until the weekend due to being in a different county to my 360 (and assuming it doesn't die on me again). Now to go and hassle the bargain thread for the current best place for livepoints

cwoac on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    j0shg0tr0 for any kind of list/league/just to play with amazing people thing.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Is there still no meta-tag for this game?

Because I have tomorrow off and will create the tag if nobody else does by then.

Word of warning, if I do create it, it won't be wang related.[/killjoy]

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just do it now. NOW.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    But Top Gear...

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    NOW

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, now that Top Gear has finished, I created some kind of tag. A meta-tag, if you will.

Send your invites to "PA MNC Clan". I'm running the same rules as I did with MW2 in that I won't be sending invites, as everybody sending one invite is better than me sending every invite. I also run on wacky Australian time-zones, so if your invite hasn't been accepted after a while, post here or PM me.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Garrr. Can you tell my brain is fried? I was sitting here scratching my head looking at the Marketplace. Took me a good half an hour before I realized this isn't actually coming out today. Guess I haven't really been all that interesting in an Arcade game in such a long time that I forgot they put them out on Wednesdays.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Added metatag to friends list. I am so glad this comes out tomorrow instead of today. Stupid painting...

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Major Nelson is having another twitter contest. Details here http://twitpic.com/2dfhew

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't WAIT for this to come out, I'm totally up for playing with some PA folks tomorrow. Gamertag is ChrisDude1551, and I just sent an invite to the metatag. I'm expecting a lot of wang-related MoneyBall jokes.

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It needs to be tomorrow already.

Gamertag is Sunabozu and I'll be sending out an invite to the metatag in a bit.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've pushed this game so hard the past two weeks to everyone who will listen. People without xbox360s included.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nothing speaks louder than the video actually explaining what the game is. Gamertag Cantido.

Cantido on
This discussion has been closed.