As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Programming book recommendations [solved]

bowenbowen How you doin'?Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all, I'm looking for some book recommendations for the following:

iPhone/iPad development
General cocoa development
sockets, something I can use to program apps that can talk between windows/linux/OSX would be fantastic, hopefully something that touches on non-blocking IO with sockets a little more in depth too since I'm a relative novice in the world of GUI programming.

Let me know if any of you have good recommendations for all of those. I'm looking to pick up OSX development here in the future and I'd like to also expand my knowledge of sockets at the same time for process interoperability.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
bowen on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For the first I'm liking iPhone SDK Development off the Pragmatic Bookshelf.

admanb on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh I'm also hoping for a good reference book for learning objective C, which I'd rather have than that 2nd one.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RSPRSP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What experience do you have right now?

If you already know C, and are familiar with C++ or Java, I think you can pick up Objective C pretty quickly just from online resources like this one, and thus have one less book to buy.

RSP on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    I have Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X, Third Edition by Aaron Hillegass. I haven't actually had time to go through more than a third of it, but it's good if you already know some basic C++.

It talks a bit about Objective-C, but also about how to use XCode and Interface Builder.

Echo on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I have Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X, Third Edition by Aaron Hillegass. I haven't actually had time to go through more than a third of it, but it's good if you already know some basic C++.

It talks a bit about Objective-C, but also about how to use XCode and Interface Builder.

For iPhone, you'll want "iPhone Programming The Big Nerd Ranch Guide". It also covers the basics of Objective-C. But basically everything by Aaron Hillegass is superior.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    RSP wrote: »
    What experience do you have right now?

If you already know C, and are familiar with C++ or Java, I think you can pick up Objective C pretty quickly just from online resources like this one, and thus have one less book to buy.

All of the above. Yeah I'm no novice I'm just looking for some books to get me started with the basic iPhone apps.

Thanks for the online one, I'll take a look at it. Looks good.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    :^: liking these all guys.

No good network coders out there that know a good book for beginners/intermediate on the topic, huh?

bowen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    BTW, the last crown jewel to this list of books I found today:

http://www.amazon.com/UNIX-Network-Programming-Networking-Sockets/dp/013490012X

I recommend this for other people looking for it. Best buy ever.

bowen on