As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten / Persona Discussion] Devil Survivor 2 hits the DS, surprising... everyone.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The best song from Persona 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8J63v_eY7g

(Also in the OP :P)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just got to 1/1 in P3:FES. I think the jazz guitar solo version of Kimi no Kioku (EDIT: It's called Memories of the City) you hear in the temple might just be my favorite song in the entire soundtrack.
    I also made another save file at 12/31 just so I could see the bad end. I was actually expecting much, much more morbid things there.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's the whole point. You don't see the morbid...because they made themselves forget it was coming. And come it does.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I bought this:

Persona Compilation CD boxset

I don't regret it.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's the whole point. You don't see the morbid...because they made themselves forget it was coming. And come it does.
    yeah i got that much. as bad ends go, though, it was pretty chill, which was shockingly nice.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really wish you could play downloaded PSP games on the PS3. I'd love to play P3P, but I can't afford to get the PSP.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Will the same "Max all S. Links In One Playthrough" strategy as FES work on P3P's male side?

If you value your sanity, you'll stay the fuck away from the "Max all Social Links in 1 playthrough" challenge. All you get is a shit persona that pales in comparison to other awesome personas, like Surt and Messiah.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Been sick all week so I stormed through the last quarter of Persona 4 I've had sitting there for forever. I was kind of expecting the final boss to be harder after the multi hour terror of the final P3 boss. I guess that's what secret new game+ only bosses are for.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Been sick all week so I stormed through the last quarter of Persona 4 I've had sitting there for forever. I was kind of expecting the final boss to be harder after the multi hour terror of the final P3 boss. I guess that's what secret new game+ only bosses are for.

Are you referring to the "final" boss, or the True End boss? Both were hard on Normal, IMO. I had some good Personas to use (Loki, Sraosha, and Surt, to name a few), but that still didn't stop the fact that if I wanted a Healer outside of the MC, I had to bring one who had an elemental weakness. Even then, the bosses would get a cheap shot at my MC and end up killing me, grrr.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm guessing you weren't using buffs and debuffs if you had any difficulty on normal. If you maintain just Debilitate and Marakukaja, the party is literally indestructible.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hell, I beat it my first time through on Hard with just Matarukaja and Masukukaja from Kanji and Yosuke, and no debuffs and it was a joke.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So is there ANY reason to watch Trinity Soul? I was randomly looking around youtube and found a few clips that looked half decent, so yeah.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    So is there ANY reason to watch Trinity Soul? I was randomly looking around youtube and found a few clips that looked half decent, so yeah.
    That depends, do you like being really, really bored?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

Depends. Is it a slow anime where things actually happen, but at 2001: A Space Odyssey rates, or are there only about five action scenes and then ten episodes of jack shit all going on?

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I dunno, I watched about four episodes and nothing happened, at all.

And from what I hear that continued through the rest of them, too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Depends. Is it a slow anime where things actually happen, but at 2001: A Space Odyssey rates, or are there only about five action scenes and then ten episodes of jack shit all going on?

Naw. It's a slow anime where nothing really happens and you don't care about the plot because what is there is boring as shit.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I gave up on it a few episodes in, which isn't something I typically do.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I actually did watch it through to the end, and some stuff does happen later on. It's just that they didn't build up to it very well. Like, the episode where
    in the last 30 seconds, Kanaru quite literally dies in Shin's arms
    would've been more powerful if they'd at least foreshadowed the reveals before that episode. Instead, it just kind of hits you, almost as though they needed an excuse for
    Shin to be all emo afterwards.

And some parts are kind of confusing, which isn't helped by the lack of proper subbing. Basically anything involving Ayane is a mindfuck.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    I'm guessing you weren't using buffs and debuffs if you had any difficulty on normal. If you maintain just Debilitate and Marakukaja, the party is literally indestructible.

Well, I might be exaggerating a bit. I'm smart enough to use buffs and debuffs, and abuse the crap outta Power/Mind Charge. They were hard enough for me to die once each time, though.
    Ameno -Sagiri critted me and the follow-up finished the MC, and Izanami got a lucky shot, too, don't ask me how.

Plus, I did't have a persona with Debilitate (which ones had that, again?)

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Trumpeter learns it. It's the best one for the job since you have to get one with Mind Charge for Empress 10, and it doesn't have weaknesses. Plus it's level 67, so you can fuse and grind it right before fighting AS.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I actually did watch it through to the end, and some stuff does happen later on. It's just that they didn't build up to it very well. Like, the episode where
    in the last 30 seconds, Kanaru quite literally dies in Shin's arms
    would've been more powerful if they'd at least foreshadowed the reveals before that episode. Instead, it just kind of hits you, almost as though they needed an excuse for
    Shin to be all emo afterwards.

And some parts are kind of confusing, which isn't helped by the lack of proper subbing. Basically anything involving Ayane is a mindfuck.

Well, it's been dubbed by NIS. Could be good, who knows.

I hear it picks up a little when Akihiko shows up.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Well, it's been dubbed by NIS. Could be good, who knows.
    Seriously? How did I not hear of this thing?

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They sent out the notice in their Prinny Bomb emails, and apparently nowhere else.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The NIS release isn't dubbed, IIRC. The releases are fairly budget, and feature only subtitles with no special features and Japanese voice only. Which basically makes them fansubs on a disc and I have no idea how they're supposed to make money, but I digress.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Will the same "Max all S. Links In One Playthrough" strategy as FES work on P3P's male side?

If you value your sanity, you'll stay the fuck away from the "Max all Social Links in 1 playthrough" challenge. All you get is a shit persona that pales in comparison to other awesome personas, like Surt and Messiah.
    I dunno, did this easily enough first time through Persona 3 and 4. In P3 it all it really meant was having a plan and reloading if the bathroom or school nurse failed.

FES and P4 give you plenty of wiggle room.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    IceBurner wrote: »

I dunno, did this easily enough first time through Persona 3 and 4. In P3 it all it really meant was having a plan and reloading if the bathroom or school nurse failed.

FES doesn't give you "plenty" of wiggle room. It gives, maybe, two days.

P4 though, yeah. You get an entire month of wiggle.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm playing through P3P blind. So for instance, it took me until after the first test to realize that the best way to become more charming and attractive, knowledgeable and intelligent, and you know, growing a backbone, was to play at the arcade almost every day. (You're telling me playing a Quiz Show game is more rewarding than studying the actual material my exams are going to cover? Right.)

That also means that I won't max more than a few Social Links. My only maxed ones are Devil and Temperance. The next ones should be Chariot, Hermit, Hanged Man and Tower. I try to keep them all somewhat even though, other than the ones I have lots of interest in. And some I just plain don't bother with. (I'm looking at you, Emperor and Hierophant.)

It just seems more fun to do it this way. I do plenty of grinding and collecting persona fusion fodder though, as well as completing every mission Elizabeth puts out.

Which brings me to a question: How in blazes do I fuse a Black Frost? I tried the obvious ones, such as King Frost, Jack Frost and Pyro Jack... as well as some other combos, but nothing came of it. Eventually I decided that it probably meant I'd have to wait until Quad fusions or something... but I'm in the middle of September and nothing yet, so maybe there aren't any like that in P3P?

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    aunsoph wrote: »
    Quad fusions
    Bingo! I think it's the three Frosts and Queen Mab.

From a purely gameplay perspective, I would recommend working on the Emperor link. It's a powerful archetype with the best electricity Personae. You'll also get plenty of time to work on the Hierophant link - awful as it is - during the school holidays.

The arcana aren't terribly well balanced; some are powerful from day one right through to the end of the game, some only have decent ultimate Personae, and some are consistently shit. Emperor is definitely among the most useful.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't remember seeing Black Frost in Persona 3.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    IceBurner wrote: »

FES doesn't give you "plenty" of wiggle room. It gives, maybe, two days.

P4 though, yeah. You get an entire month of wiggle.
    I remember having a few days in P3, FES is supposed to allow even more. Unlike P4, because of the timing of S.Links in P3 and FES, the free days aren't necessarily clustered at the end of the game.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm playing through P3P blind. So for instance, it took me until after the first test to realize that the best way to become more charming and attractive, knowledgeable and intelligent, and you know, growing a backbone, was to play at the arcade almost every day. (You're telling me playing a Quiz Show game is more rewarding than studying the actual material my exams are going to cover? Right.)

That also means that I won't max more than a few Social Links. My only maxed ones are Devil and Temperance. The next ones should be Chariot, Hermit, Hanged Man and Tower. I try to keep them all somewhat even though, other than the ones I have lots of interest in. And some I just plain don't bother with. (I'm looking at you, Emperor and Hierophant.)

It just seems more fun to do it this way. I do plenty of grinding and collecting persona fusion fodder though, as well as completing every mission Elizabeth puts out.

Which brings me to a question: How in blazes do I fuse a Black Frost? I tried the obvious ones, such as King Frost, Jack Frost and Pyro Jack... as well as some other combos, but nothing came of it. Eventually I decided that it probably meant I'd have to wait until Quad fusions or something... but I'm in the middle of September and nothing yet, so maybe there aren't any like that in P3P?

Wait is the quiz game even available? I swear I have never seen it, so I guess I don't check the arcade that often.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm starting to get a little tired of the grinding in Persona 3. I know I'll have to level up more to beat the floor bosses in the fifth block, but I'm level 62 and the enemies give shit experience compared to their relative strength.

never die on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just beat Nocturne, finally. That last level took for-freaking-ever. Especially that dark/danger floor area with the pits and teleporters everywhere.

The final boss, though. Seriously? What's with this otherwise difficult series and ludicrously easy final boss fights? At least the one in Persona 4 lasted a while. This guy took me ten minutes and never made me break a sweat.
    And I know, it's not the REAL final boss. I'll be building up to that one soon enough. Any recommendations, besides the well known "have Pierce?" Also, is it just me, or is Freikugel underwhelming? I find I've been doing far more damage with a sufficiently boosted Magma Axis, and I don't even have Fire Boost.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Oh, he's in it. I got him right before the Fortune fight (There was another boss in that fight, but I can't remember its name).
    never die wrote:
    I'm starting to get a little tired of the grinding in Persona 3. I know I'll have to level up more to beat the floor bosses in the fifth block, but I'm level 62 and the enemies give shit experience compared to their relative strength.

Once you unlock the Monad block, grinding becomes piss-easy.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    The Littlest IonThe Littlest Ion Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Oh, he's in it. I got him right before the Fortune fight (There was another boss in that fight, but I can't remember its name).
    The boss you're thinking of is Strength.

The Littlest Ion on
    IonJr.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    never die wrote: »
    You're actually over-levelled for that point in the game. Man the fuck up and go fight some bosses as you are.

I honestly don't think there's any grinding in Persona 3 and 4. The way I play, I rush up floors and only fight shadows when forced to, or when I see one guarding a rare chest. I go out of my way to fight gold and powerful shadows when I see one, but that goes without saying. I still managed to hit level 68 before the final boss.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, if enemies are giving shit experience, that should probably tell you something. Specifically, it should tell you that you are overleveled.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think I ever grinded in P3 either. Maybe a little bit to kill the Reaper, when I tried beating him using a lot of luck and no Thunder Reign. Then I got fed up and ended up cheesing him with Thunder Reign, and pretty much used that to steam-roll my way to the top. Probably why the final boss presented more of a challenge, since I couldn't use that trick anymore.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    never die wrote: »
    You're actually over-levelled for that point in the game. Man the fuck up and go fight some bosses as you are.

I honestly don't think there's any grinding in Persona 3 and 4. The way I play, I rush up floors and only fight shadows when forced to, or when I see one guarding a rare chest. I go out of my way to fight gold and powerful shadows when I see one, but that goes without saying. I still managed to hit level 68 before the final boss.

I have. That's about all I've done. I guess I just got paranoid cause I was under leveled earlier in the game, and then decided that i would level up about 8-10 levels every full moon. I guess that has lead to be being overleveled.

never die on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Quad fusions
    Bingo! I think it's the three Frosts and Queen Mab.

From a purely gameplay perspective, I would recommend working on the Emperor link. It's a powerful archetype with the best electricity Personae. You'll also get plenty of time to work on the Hierophant link - awful as it is - during the school holidays.

The arcana aren't terribly well balanced; some are powerful from day one right through to the end of the game, some only have decent ultimate Personae, and some are consistently shit. Emperor is definitely among the most useful.

I always found Strength to be lacking, UNTIL you get Siegfried and Vorpal Slash everything to death.

Jurg on
    sig.gif