Options

[Megaten / Persona Discussion] Devil Survivor 2 hits the DS, surprising... everyone.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, there's the fact that Naoto kind of sucks.

If you're going insta-death for random battles you basically need Die For Me! and Samsara. If you're going insta-death for weaknesses only, Mahama and Mamudo are more than enough.

Almighty Spells are nowhere near enough bang for their buck, and Naoto has a low-ish SP pool so can't even use them that often.

And Naoto's strength stat isn't high enough to make use of the physical skills.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Part 3 of the Persona 4 comic dub is up:

How do they keep outdoing themselves? It's madness.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder if there's anyone that picked the music club over the drama club on their first playthrough? I can't imagine there is.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Not the first, probably.

But every playthrough after the first, probably. :lol:

Drama was such an awful link.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, they certainly nailed the "girl in drama club" with Yumi. Going through the BG endurance run at the moment and I love their reactions to her. "Drama girl has a bunch of issues and is way too much work? Who would have guessed it?" :lol:

-SPI- on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The fox was the best part of that dub. The new VAs didn't disappoint either.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I actually liked Yumi. Seemed the most believable of a lot of the characters, as someone whose been through some trauma and associated depression.

As to Naoto, tho, the REAL problem is the gave the little r-trap massively dangerous and badly statted physical attacks. That take a third of her HP pool.

As opposed to Chie's much less effective overall collection, none of which makes a dent in her MADE OF PURE STEAK HP olympic pool.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I wonder if there's anyone that picked the music club over the drama club on their first playthrough? I can't imagine there is.

You'd be wrong about that. I don't know why, but it did happen.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, that dub is really good. Almost sounds like the actual VAs.

And someone on the internet likes the loli character? Who'd have thunk it? XP

Gigazombie Cybermage on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey, hey! Nobody said anything about liking it. It was just a thing. A thing that happened.

The band girl's storyline is nowhere near as annoying as the drama girl's though.
    "I suck at playing tuba" beats "I hate my dad, and he's dying, and I hate him cos he's a dying jerk. Oh, and I hate my mother too." on any playthrough.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Hey, hey! Nobody said anything about liking it. It was just a thing. A thing that happened.

The band girl's storyline is nowhere near as annoying as the drama girl's though.
    "I suck at playing tuba" beats "I hate my dad, and he's dying, and I hate him cos he's a dying jerk. Oh, and I hate my mother too." on any playthrough.

But Drama girl doesn't look like a 12 year old.

So she wins at sucking less by default.

Though I can't say I recommend romancing either.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Diarmuid wrote: »

Though I can't say I recommend romancing either.

Yes, that's certainly an issue.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

music girl is a pretty decent link if you pretend very very hard that the romance part of it doesn't exist

Rust on
  • Options
    WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I went with the band on my first playthrough. :(

I assumed it was like P3's clubs where it didn't matter which one you picked, so I went with the one I actually did in high school. I didn't even try to join the drama club.

Werewulfy on
  • Options
    MRPeersonMRPeerson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hospital work:

-Your hear a woman screaming in the other room
    -You pretend not to notice and continue working
    * your COURAGE has increased *

D::whistle:

o_O

MRPeerson on
    Wii: 5994 4910 0244 5552
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I maxed out the music girl's link last night. One thing that annoys me is that I want to max out the death social link, and I need just one more day to do it, but I've not left myself enough time to do it. I'm at December 20. I'll need to beat the dungeon on the 22 in order to get the christmas scene.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Rust wrote: »

music girl is a pretty decent link if you pretend very very hard that the romance part of it doesn't exist
    Yeah, you just gotta pretend the friend path is the only one available and it's a good link.

Drama and Soccer are my least favorite links in the game, honestly. Basketball and Band are leagues better.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    I actually liked Yumi. Seemed the most believable of a lot of the characters, as someone whose been through some trauma and associated depression.

As to Naoto, tho, the REAL problem is the gave the little r-trap massively dangerous and badly statted physical attacks. That take a third of her HP pool.

As opposed to Chie's much less effective overall collection, none of which makes a dent in her MADE OF PURE STEAK HP olympic pool.

I never used Naoto like ever, but Chie was an absolute beast for my endgame.

I dunno exactly where I was going with this, because like I said I've never used Naoto. So I feel a playthrough coming on.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    naoto is super-useful in the endgame dungeons because of the abundancy of weaknesses to light/dark

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    naoto is super-useful in the endgame dungeons because of the abundancy of weaknesses to light/dark

For some reason I always completely forget the actual usefulness of buffs/debuffs and instant deaths in SMT games. It's like I'm trained by the other less good RPG series out there.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MRPeerson wrote: »
    Hospital work:

o_O

Is the high school kid supposed to burst into the operating room and perform surgery himself?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hospital work:

o_O

Is the high school kid supposed to burst into the operating room and perform surgery himself?

No, but I at least expected my MC to cast silence on the conscious patient.

The screaming in the audio sounded more like distress / anger, but i thought it was funny if you just looked at the text. Even more so since i hammered a neighbors door about a year ago (i heard several high pitched "Hilfe" (help) from a floor below me, just to find out he sounds like a sissy when he has bad dreams.

Loosely related, i just ordered trauma center in the hopes that it would have just a bit of the soc-sim aspects of p3/4. Will I be severely disappointed?

MRPeerson on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Which Trauma Center? Either way, the only connection is the little triangle icon when you move around.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Second opinion i think, the first one for the wii. 4 Euros, so i won't be too disappointed, though.

Hmm, proposing or waiting until after p5 is out... Tough decision.

MRPeerson on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

:winky:
    Hospital work:

o_O

No, but I at least expected my MC to cast silence on the conscious patient.

I could have sworn that they were playing with the "haunted spooky hospital" horror trope and it was supposed to be ghosts or some such making those noises, not people.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    the shouting woman was almost certainly sayako being chewed out by her superiors for something or another

the rest is totally spooky-hospital stuff, though

Rust on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And I now have another reason to believe this game was influenced by Silent Hill.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    just because silent hill was one of the last best horror franchises does not mean that everything spooky, tense, or psychological borrows from silent hill

can't discount it entirely, though

Rust on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Persona 1 (original) has some very Silent Hill-esque atmospheric tracks.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4FCVGR6mpQ&feature=related

When did Imagine add that? O_o Niiiice.

It's a remix of SMT1's boss music!

Awesome.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Silent Hill took its spooky hospital (and quite a few other things) from the early 90s horror film Jacob's Ladder, according to the developers.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Silent Hill took its spooky hospital (and quite a few other things) from the early 90s horror film Jacob's Ladder, according to the developers.

you probably wouldn't even need the developer's word for it, several scenes from that hospital in the movie are transplanted almost frame-for-frame in silent hill 1 and 2

it was pretty neat

Rust on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

you probably wouldn't even need the developer's word for it, several scenes from that hospital in the movie are transplanted almost frame-for-frame in silent hill 1 and 2

it was pretty neat

Plus, they named the train station in SH3 after the one from the film.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So is there any secret tricks to get more girlfriends than the first one you get? I'm wanting to do this for shits and giggles, (emphasis on the giggles) and I wanna make sure I do it right.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So is there any secret tricks to get more girlfriends than the first one you get? I'm wanting to do this for shits and giggles, (emphasis on the giggles) and I wanna make sure I do it right.

In P3 or P4?
    P3 doesn't give you any choice in the matter if you follow the dateable social links.
    P4 gives you some pretty obvious choices, except for Naoto, who's only dateable if you go on about her girl side as much as possible.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

In P3 or P4?
    P3 doesn't give you any choice in the matter if you follow the dateable social links.
    P4 gives you some pretty obvious choices, except for Naoto, who's only dateable if you go on about her girl side as much as possible.

P4, and if it's just as simple as choosing the right choices (something I never did on my first playthrough) then that should be easy enough. But I definitely remember the trick to get Naoto to date you, which is a pain in the ass if you just make even one mistake.

I was starting from scratch (lost my save data) and am already on the Maru-Q Strip Bar dungeon... one of my least favorite dungeons in the entire game, all because of
    Fucking Shadow Teddie

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    any dungeon is easy if you just give the fox ALL YO YEENNNNZ YIP YIP YAP

Rust on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    any dungeon is easy if you just give the fox ALL YO YEENNNNZ YIP YIP YAP

...and money.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I've got Daisoujou, or however you spell that, in Nocturne now. My freaking god. I can't be killed now, can I?

Oh, I'm hurt? Media + Meditation. Blaow! Doing good.

What's that? My main is charmed and beating down on his friends? Prayer + Meditation. All's well.

If he had Samrecarm, I'd be set for life.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was starting from scratch (lost my save data) and am already on the Maru-Q Strip Bar dungeon... one of my least favorite dungeons in the entire game, all because of
    Fucking Shadow Teddie
    Nah,
    Shadow Teddie
    is easy if you grind a few levels, get a Ganga with Mediarama and Ose with at least Power Charge, Brain Shake and Rakunda, and drop Yukiko for Kanji. From there it's just a matter of buffing, debuffing and healing as needed, and when it uses Ultra Charge, Power Charge -> Brain Shake to cancel the attack and knock it down. But if you need to heal or don't have MDO, just have everyone guard during the second round.

Personally, I thought the dungeon was harder than the boss, because regular enemies can pretty much one-shot you. It's a lot easier if you spam Mind Slice though.

The Anonymous on