As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metacampaign 2010: A Steel Battalion Scenario

• Options
    TitanTitan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Im gonna rattle off a bunch of questions... some may or may not be obvious to you but please just try to answer to the best of your abilities, sans being a dick of course. Im just trying to get a hold on what to expect and how the campaign is run, i'm just kinda in to those types of details I guess.

I know this may not exist, and that I might get flamed for asking, BUT, Is there any sort of matrix or information as to how many players are going to attend, or how many players you are expecting? How many players you can have MAX, or how many you can support?

I'm coming to PAX specifically to do SB:LOC, and I want to participate as much as I can, is there going to be a way to rotate out players to let others get a chance? A queue perhaps?

How many VT stations will you have? How many are dedicated to training and how many for campaign?

What happens when someone gets recruited then leaves/forgets about playing, will that leave a deficit in gear/vt/hardware cards?

Is training available the whole time or in specific times? And what is the training like? Walkthrough with instructor or crash corse with booklet?

Will there be any sort of campaign review or overview via the web/forum to conclude the campaign? (Basically are you gonna post the results so people can see them, who were not present on Sunday)

I'm sure I have more I can add... and may!

Cheers,
    Titan

Titan on
  • Options
    MaradineMaradine Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Excellent questions all.
    Titan wrote:
    Is there any sort of matrix or information as to how many players are going to attend, or how many players you are expecting?

I would also love to know the answer to that one, but estimates tend to not hold up under the frigid light of reality. We had hundreds of people play through at East, so that's a good start. We have twice that capacity now.
    Titan wrote:
    How many players you can have MAX, or how many you can support?

Broken down to its strict mathematics:

The Boot Camp room, with 35 playable PAX hours, 10 stations, 10 minute sessions, and 10 minute downtimes, will support approximately 1050 player-games over the course of the weekend.

The Campaign room, with 35 playable PAX hours, 10 stations, 30 minute sessions, and 30 minute downtimes, will support approximately 350 player-games over the course of the weekend.

These are the minimum numbers and assume we don't use Campaign downtimes to sneak in Qualification matches or other similar shenanigans. Campaign matches rarely go full-length (half is a better estimate), and full downtimes are rarely necessary. TL;DR, we will be attempting to have every station playing as often as possible.

Titan wrote:
    I'm coming to PAX specifically to do SB:LOC, and I want to participate as much as I can, is there going to be a way to rotate out players to let others get a chance? A queue perhaps?

Campaign is geared towards the type of player that wants to keep playing all weekend. Your factional commander will be determining how people are rotated through per match. If things get hectic, there will be a strict queue. If things are chill, the players can decided who plays for themselves. Also keep in mind that, as a Campaign player, there's more to do than stick time - equipment trading, strategy sessions, and just burning off the adrenaline from the last match are all important. TL;DR, everyone gets a fair shot, and we support casual and committed player bases with different rooms.
    Titan wrote:
    How many VT stations will you have? How many are dedicated to training and how many for campaign?

20 - 10 and 10.
    Titan wrote:
    What happens when someone gets recruited then leaves/forgets about playing, will that leave a deficit in gear/vt/hardware cards?

We have printed enough cards to support 100% attrition. Consequently, feel free to take your cards home as souvenirs. In the unlikely event that our cards go missing between now and then, we also have a backup supply system.
    Titan wrote:
    Is training available the whole time or in specific times? And what is the training like? Walkthrough with instructor or crash corse with booklet?

Boot Camp is fully staffed by dedicated instructors 100% of the show. Both of my Sergeants served as trainers at East and have gotten literally hundreds of players familiar with the game. You will be walked through every aspect of basic VT combat. Intermediate and Masters sessions take place when 5 players want to run one and one of the appropriate instructors is available. I will attempt to run as many Masters classes as possible this year, but consider that Campaign is an equally effective education.
    Titan wrote:
    Will there be any sort of campaign review or overview via the web/forum to conclude the campaign? (Basically are you gonna post the results so people can see them, who were not present on Sunday)

We have plans to show Campaign results on site and via Twitter- we could probably hack together a web page, too. I'll update via this space if that happens.

M

Maradine on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Maradine,
    Thanks for answering my questions, I have more if you have time to answer!!

Are you located in the seattle/washington area?

Do you play SB:LOC online/lan often?

How will this campaign compare to the PAX East campaign?

How many campaigns for SB:LOC have you run, and what kind of things have you tried/learned from doing the campaigns?

Are you a member of the lineofcontact.net/forums community?

I am interested in learning more about how you run the campaign, rules, and how you created your materials (Hardware/VT Cards and the art work used to create them)

I would love to pick your brain about some ideas for campaigns, arena style combat, and keeping the game alive!

Cheers,
    Titan

Titan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Titan wrote:
    Thanks for answering my questions, I have more if you have time to answer!!

An excuse to blather on about the game? Surely you jest.
    Titan wrote:
    Are you located in the seattle/washington area?

Usually.
    Titan wrote:
    Do you play SB:LOC online/lan often?

Not since the official campaign was shuttered in 2005. My final act as a pilot was to transfer the Alphapike to its true and rightful owner.
    Titan wrote:
    How will this campaign compare to the PAX East campaign?

We didn't have a campaign at East - this is new ground! Our prior exploits are detailed here.
    Titan wrote:
    How many campaigns for SB:LOC have you run, and what kind of things have you tried/learned from doing the campaigns?

Exactly one - the beta to this event. We learned alllllll sorts of interesting things about supply, VT usage, trading, door controls, and how not to motivate mercenaries. Much of the mechanics are built to simulate my memories of the official campaign as closely as possible.
    Titan wrote:
    Are you a member of the lineofcontact.net/forums community?

Only tangentially. I pop my head in every now and again to make sure there's still a heartbeat, and I keep tabs on some of my old mates via XBL.
    Titan wrote:
    I am interested in learning more about how you run the campaign, rules, and how you created your materials (Hardware/VT Cards and the art work used to create them)

That's a conversation we can have in person. The short version is that the VT imagery comes (with permission) from the boys at LOC.NET. Everything else, including the fancy new hi-res faction flags, was built over the last few months from scratch. The ruleset was developed by our core team over long nights in IRC and lots of thought after the Beta.
    Titan wrote:
    I would love to pick your brain about some ideas for campaigns, arena style combat, and keeping the game alive!

Any time.

Maradine on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    good god, what have I started?!

also, titan, Im sure from Mara's responses that all questions are welcome. SB has such a small remnant of players left that any interest might be set upon with a "One of US" mentality.

I'll be chomping at the bit for intermediate, master, and qualification tutorials. Really want to get my sniper qualification. The original SB doesnt do the SR series of rifles justice.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Indeed it does not. It goes from being a neat diversion to an absolute strategic necessity.

Maradine on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I have wanted to play this game for the longest time.
    When I saw they were having it at PAX and that there were a few but passionate members of the SB community I decided to jump in and do my part to enjoy the amazing game and keep it alive!

Im excited to meet people who want to keep this game around, not only that but bring it back!

Titan on
  • Options
    MazeMaze Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    good god, what have I started?!

HDW1j.jpg

Maze on
    "Beware of rashness, but with energy, and sleepless vigilance, go forward and give us victories!" - A. Lincoln
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Im trying Im trying but my mech is gen 1 and it doesnt have OVER D! D:

dont worry titan.
    You wont have to worry too much about pilot skill from the amount of players expressing interest, but not having the game.
    Most everyone else (like myself) that have a copy of the game will know how to at least keep a VT upright, but actual player combat will be new to us.
    I think we'd only have to worry about the instructors or sergeants if they decide to take the field.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think we'd only have to worry about the instructors or sergeants if they decide to take the field.

As NPCs, we will not be doing so. My crew is prohibited from playing in campaign matches. Other Enforcers from the beta test, should they happen to play in the campaign while they are off duty, will be apportioned to the factions in a balance-preserving way. They will also be limited in how many matches they can play and in what proportions they can populate a mission. This is about you guys, not us.

If you'd like to see how Shit Gets Laid Down, you can meet me at a Masters Class. :)

Maradine on
  • Options
    Sammich[E]Sammich[E] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 this will rule so hard.

Sammich[E] on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey Maradine, I heard about the TEKKI code that allows you to unlock all the mission sites and VTs for free mission (which is how your able to set this whole thing up) but I remember back in February or March that there was a thread about needed to do this code now before xbox live came down.

Obviously, I can no longer issue this code, but I remember something about there being an absolutely asinine assbackward way to get the code to work. Did it require a patch that had to be installed via memory card? or what?

would there be a possibility to bring my own xbox black to PAX to get this VT/map unlock performed in the wee hours of Friday or Saturday?

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Supposedly, the old MechAssault FTP trick works for getting unlocked save files on and off of a box for this purpose. We did all of ours before Live went down, so we haven't tried it. If you're looking to experiment, we can provide the save.

Maradine on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cool beans and thanks,

I'll be scouring the net for any reference that we may need.

I guess the other part of the question is, is it possible to get those VT's and missions unlocked by putting in play time on xlink?

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    'Fraid not.

Maradine on
  • Options
    bfigginsbfiggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't seem to load the campaign manual. Any chance of an alternate hosting, or a direct download link?

bfiggins on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That is a direct download link - your mime types are telling your browser to try and open it, I suspect. Right click, save link as.

Maradine on
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just a little more than 2 weeks left. Hope everyone has been brushing up on their basics!

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    bfigginsbfiggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maradine wrote: »
    That is a direct download link - your mime types are telling your browser to try and open it, I suspect. Right click, save link as.

So it is. This campaign looks excellent - I'm looking forward to such thrilling moments as stalling my mech, screwing up the startup sequence, falling over, and getting my windshield wipers stuck on.

Is the metacampaign drop in/drop out? Is it possible you'll have too few pilots for a mission, or too many, or an imbalance between the two factions?

bfiggins on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm looking forward to such thrilling moments as stalling my mech, screwing up the startup sequence, falling over, and getting my windshield wipers stuck on.

It's a four step process. Very easy once you do it a couple times, then it'll be second nature.
    Is the metacampaign drop in/drop out? Is it possible you'll have too few pilots for a mission, or too many, or an imbalance between the two factions?

Yes.
    Possible, but not Likely.
    Imbalance will be negligent as Maradine & Crew will be keeping record and closing recruitment for certain sides if one gets considerably larger than the other.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My steel battalion copy is in the mail. so psyched!

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »
    My steel battalion copy is in the mail. so psyched!

I got mine today, as well as my copy of Line of Contact. Now I just need to pickup that xbox sitting at my gf's place. Wewt!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    500pm, Sunday

Maradine: Ok, last two matches of the campaign. It's really close.

Gabe: We need to confiscate these machines for the final match of Omegathon

Everyone: D: o_O :? :( But... the campaign.

Tycho: Sorry, it's really important.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    WedgeWedge Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    500pm, Sunday

No prob. There are *20* machines (plus some spares), if the Omegathon comes down to a LOC match I think we could spare the 2 machines they'd need without touching the campaign's supplies.

Wedge on
    Give a man fire and he has fire for a day, set a man on fire and he has fire for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    tentaclesextentaclesex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You fellas did a brilliant job at PAX East, and it sounds like you're really upping the ante this time. I'll definitely try to stop by for some more reminiscing about SBC and garpikes and network latency.

tentaclesex on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    500pm, Sunday

Prior discussions on the topic in question lead me to believe that the event you allude to is highly unlikely.

Means "no".

That said, should such shenanigans manifest, we're equipped to handle it without impacting Campaign.

Maradine on
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just wanted to reiterate. This is going to be /awesome/

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Relativiox wrote: »
    Just wanted to reiterate. This is going to be /awesome/

Second.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    GeogradGeograd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I LOVE mech games and I have not played Steel Battalion yet (didn't have an Xbox) but now I want one! This game makes me crave a persistent mech MMO with controls just like this! I loved playing the Battletech tabletop.

I'm going to be there as much as I can be! I'll be trying to pass all qualifications lol, especially sniper!

Geograd on
  • Options
    guyalguyal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Geograd wrote: »
    I LOVE mech games and I have not played Steel Battalion yet (didn't have an Xbox) but now I want one! This game makes me crave a persistent mech MMO with controls just like this! I loved playing the Battletech tabletop.

I'm going to be there as much as I can be! I'll be trying to pass all qualifications lol, especially sniper!

Speaking as a Communist, the game is verrrry cool. The controls are numerous, but not complex, arbitrary or stupid. They make sense, so you can get going pretty quickly. And catch fire a lot, and tip over going around a corner, but generally have a great time, while marveling at the people at the other end of the skill/knowledge spectrum, the ones who can dodge rail gun shots and make it seem like a very plausible, straightforward, normal activity.

Let the ruling classes tremble at a Steel Battalion revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. VTs pilots of all countries, unite!

guyal on
  • Options
    tentaclesextentaclesex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HSD! Quantity Over Quality!

tentaclesex on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I'm going to have to give this a whirl. Not the whole metacampaign, but the game itself. Gotta see what my old xbox has gotten itself into :P

BoomShake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    BoomShake wrote: »
    I think I'm going to have to give this a whirl. Not the whole metacampaign, but the game itself. Gotta see what my old xbox has gotten itself into :P

We'd be happy to have you come by during PAX. We will have a seperate room set up that will be distinct from the metacampaign. You can come in any time during the show and try the game out. After that who knows? You may enjoy it so much that the campaign might seem like fun!

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Global Newswire (TM): For public distribution

The Oktaeder Family Trust, In Cooperation With Right Brothers Labs

Je8wq.jpg
    GWHqY.png

is hosting a poster contest to benefit

j3nke.jpg

VTs For Tots!

The grand prize winning poster will be used as part of a global campaign to celebrate the role of advanced, augmented, vertical mobility combat platforms in the education and enrichment of the world's children.

Entries are accepted from all factions.

Categories

HSD #1 - "Free Soda for All Humans"

HSD #2 - "Beware the Milkshake of Oppression"

PRF #1 - "Go Back to your Tractor Factory"

PRF #2 - "Enjoy Hell Week, Commies"

Guidelines

Before submitting posters to the contest, please look at past winners and familiarize yourself with the campaign. The winning poster will be distributed to corpocracies as well as individuals, so please consider the audience when designing your poster.

Posters should be graphically attractive and use a dynamic message. We especially look for images that demonstrate that combat effectiveness is not limited by VT size, VT type, weapon effective range, or physical appearance.

Only original artwork will be considered.

Submissions

All submissions should be posted to the Penny Arcade Forums thread "Prime Metacampaign 2010: A Steel Battalion Scenario" at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=125353

DO NOT include a disk with your poster entry.
    Artists may submit multiple posters in the same category, as well as posters in different categories.

Some dos and don'ts:

Don't mount, frame or laminate your entry.
    Don't send copy larger than 9" x 12".
    Do include requested information.
    Don't include the full date (e.g. August 21, 2085) on your entry. Do include the year (2085) on your entry.

Prizes

Category HSD #1: 3 Right Brothers Yellow Jacket VT Supply Cards, redeemable at the Prime SB campaign*
    Category HSD #2: 3 Right Brothers Yellow Jacket VT Supply Cards, redeemable at the Prime SB campaign*
    Category PRF #1: 3 Right Brothers Yellow Jacket VT Supply Cards, redeemable at the Prime SB campaign*
    Category PRF#2: 3 Right Brothers Yellow Jacket VT Supply Cards, redeemable at the Prime SB campaign*

One poster will be selected as the Grand Prize Winner to honor the 2085 VTs For Tots Campaign. The Grand Prize Winner will receive 2 Oktaeder Siegeszug VT Supply Cards, redeemable at the Prime SB campaign*

*The Oktaeder Family Trust/Right Brothers Labs Joint Combined Poster Contest Limited Liability Corporation reserves the right to alter the final poster design or to reject all submissions for the final poster design. All category prizes will be awarded even if no design is accepted for the poster.
    *All submissions become the property of the Oktaeder Family Trust/Right Brothers Labs Joint Combined Poster Contest Limited Liability Corporation and may be used for commercial purposes. No entries will be returned, so please keep all your files and/or scan your work.

*Prize supply cards may be picked at the Steel Battalion Campaign Desk during PAX Prime. Supply cards are redeemable at any time, but VTs are only playable on the turns which said VTs would actually begin being playable in the game, i.e. starting with Turn 4 for Yellow Jackets and Turn 6 for Siegeszugs.
    *Enforcer participation appreciated, but no prize eligibility. Sorry!

Deadline: September 1, 2010

Maradine on
  • Options
    GSpeezyGSpeezy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maradine wrote: »
    One poster will be selected as the Grand Prize Winner to honor the 2085 VTs For Tots Campaign. The Grand Prize Winner will receive 2 Oktaeder Siegeszug VT Supply Cards, redeemable at the Prime SB campaign*
    HOLY SHIT *drool*

GSpeezy on
    All rights reversed; prosecutors will be violated.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dammit Jim! I'm a writer, not a graphic designer!

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, I looooove Yellow Jackets soooo much. Had some pretty good exploits in one. :)

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    VTMao.jpg
    Tractormech.jpg

can I has zugzugs nao?

Guess I know what Im going to be working on...
    Serious submission sometime this weekend.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    guyalguyal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tractor Mechs. Classic.

guyal on
  • Options
    scriblscribl Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I don't really post here, but I just had to pop my head in and say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I was so jealous of all the PAX East-ers who got to try out boot camp. Cannot wait! :)

scribl on
This discussion has been closed.