As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DOTA 2] Beta ongoing. Keys going out regularly. Join the PennyArcade channel!

• angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    though I own every Valve game I'm not one to just buy a game because it's from a developer I like, plus Valve in the past has proven they share dev teams between games (L4D and TF2 content being delayed because of work on the other, etc)

it doesn't really bother me that much, if the game is DOTA: This Time You Have to Pay For It, I just won't. I would still much rather have Episode 3

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder what Blizzard thinks, I really do.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ronya wrote: »

Well it was a mod so they didn't own any of it

So as long as they don't reuse any assets, Blizzard probably doesn't care much at all

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »

Well it was a mod so they didn't own any of it

So as long as they don't reuse any assets, Blizzard probably doesn't care much at all
    All maps created in WC3 Map Editor are technically owned by Blizzard.

I assume Blizzard knows that it's not worth pursuing.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    Game Informer isn't loading at all for me.

I guess this isn't much of a surprise by now. I wonder if it'll draw people away from HoN and LoL.

Because it's Valve, I somewhat feel I have to get it, despite being absolutely terrible at DotA and HoN.

Yeah, I'm awful at DotA, and the community around that game is worse than hardcore StarCraft players, but it's a Valve game, so it'll probably be pretty awesome
    Fuga wrote: »
    announcing a new game is even worse i agree

when it's a remake of a mod which had the worst community of any game ever, and not Half-Life Episode 3, this is a true statement

Look I want Episode 3 more than anyone on Earth but this is dumb

I remember those days when Valve didn't make anything but Half-Life 2 and we waited like five goddamn years for it and then it got delayed because some hacker asshole stole the source code and we were all like "fuckkkkkkk"

The game got delayed because it wasn't anywhere close to being finished. The hacker was just the icing on the cake.

Undead Scottsman on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm pretty pumped about this even though I don't even like dota games much

BlindPsychic on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I....I don't know how to feel about this.

I love Valve, and have purchased/enjoyed every one of their games. If there's any company that could smooth out the harshness of the DOTA community, they'd be the one. But that being said, I'm still not totally onboard with Yet Another DOTA Game, especially one that seems to be staying so true to the original.

Valve's really going to have to convince my on this one if they want my moneys.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited October 2010
    All the elves and orcs have been replaced by possibly multicolored humans, at least. Which presumably makes staying out of Blizzard's fluff easier.

Dota's fluff always seemed awkward to me, although that may be because I started playing it in the pre-fluff era.

Dealing with the community probably needs harsher or absent team penalties for bad individual play. I don't see rewards for teaching going far enough.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://icefrogtruth.blogspot.com/

I guess today is Anonymously Bitch About Game Developers Day.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    http://icefrogtruth.blogspot.com/

I guess today is Anonymously Bitch About Game Developers Day.

Haha what an unusual rant.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited October 2010
    If that stuff is true...what the hell is happening to Valve? I thought they were better than this :?

CarbonFire on
  • ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    After reading it though, it seems pretty fake to me.

General details that can be found by a simple Google search? Big 'revelations' about IceFrog that have been around for months?

I don't know all of it just seems to be very concrete and until I see a bit more I'll have to file it under Internet rumors.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
    edited October 2010
    The Internets seem to be all "it's totes true, I've met Icefrog IRL" and "it's totes false, it's just Riot/S2 trolling us".

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    edited October 2010
    I just find it amusing that there is all this drama surrounding what is essentially a custom WarCraft 3 map.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

when it's a remake of a mod which had the worst community of any game ever, and not Half-Life Episode 3, this is a true statement

Counterstrike: Source was like years ago, man.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I forget. Did you lose gold in DotA when you died?

I know you do in HoN, and you don't in LoL but I can't for the life of me remember if that feature was in DotA or not.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited October 2010

I know you do in HoN, and you don't in LoL but I can't for the life of me remember if that feature was in DotA or not.

Yep.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
    edited October 2010
    You lose gold when you die in DotA.

They actually changed the mechanics recently, outlined here

P10 on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shrieve wrote: »
    After reading it though, it seems pretty fake to me.

General details that can be found by a simple Google search? Big 'revelations' about IceFrog that have been around for months?

I don't know all of it just seems to be very concrete and until I see a bit more I'll have to file it under Internet rumors.

Reads like a sperge by someone with an axe to grind. I have a hard time believing a company as venerable as valve would just let a new indie dev run roughshod over their design teams, but who knows, I guess it's possible. All I see in that post is that the guy is supposedly a dick (big deal) and that he did development work for a few different companies and wasn't forthcoming about it. (Which probably leads back to being a dick and could be construed as simply the nature of the biz.) Nothing very earth shattering about that, regardless of the anom's attempts to drama llama it.

Dark_Side on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shrieve wrote: »

Yep.

Bleh. :P

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited October 2010
    I do have to say... hell yeah having Valve's art team behind this. They're always so good at breaking things down to their simplest parts to make everything recognizable and transparent (a la TF2 class silhouettes). I mean at first I went that's a slick logo and title:

dota530pxheaderimg.jpg

Wait... is that the minimap? 2 bases and the river in between? Oh Valve. :mrgreen:

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
    edited October 2010
    I'm disappointed though that apparently *nothing* is different besides the art/source. I mean, it's even still one map. I really hope they plan on expanding that... Otherwise, why bother? The War 3 one is there, for free :P

In any case, not sure how you can call that "2"

Warlock82 on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm pretty sure Valve is also working on Half-Life [strike]Episode[/strike] 3

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited October 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Otherwise, why bother? The War 3 one is there, for free :P
    Have you tried playing DotA? It's a pain in the ass finding a game, it's a pain in the ass to host a game, it's a pain in the ass to join the same game as a friend, the netcode is bad, the graphics are quite dated, the replay system is not up to snuff, etc. DotA will benefit hugely from it's own engine.

P10 on
    edited October 2010
    Otherwise, why bother? The War 3 one is there, for free :P
    Have you tried playing DotA? It's a pain in the ass finding a game, it's a pain in the ass to host a game, it's a pain in the ass to join the same game as a friend, the netcode is bad, the graphics are quite dated, the replay system is not up to snuff, etc. DotA will benefit hugely from it's own engine.

I suppose. Honestly I haven't played it since like, I don't know, 2004? 2005? I'm sure it's all kinds of different now :P

I just think it's a little lame to not change anything at all and call it a sequel. At least call it "DotA Deluxe" or any number of other feel-good words that mean "the same but prettier" which is all it is :P Also I still think it's crazy to release a game that only has one map.

Warlock82 on
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also I still think it's crazy to release a game that only has one map.

Any time anyone tries to release a new map everyone just plays the old one instead.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
    edited October 2010
    But that was in Warcraft III, when "new map" was virtually synonymous with "with author's pet hacks added".

Maybe they'll roll with maps in theirs, who knows.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No I mean like in LoL or HoN.

Both games have alternate maps that no one plays.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
    edited October 2010
    So Riot and Valve are both claiming the blog rant is bullshit (S2 says "no comment"):
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/13/alleged-valve-employee-speaks-out-on-dota-co-developer/

Anyways, regarding the one map thing, I think considering you have Valve behind this project you can expect a larger user base picking it up, including a lot of people totally new to DotA that might not be snobs about having to play the original map. So I really don't see the point in limiting it.

Warlock82 on
    edited October 2010
    Ah. Well, I don't know about HoN or LoL. Both seem to have smaller playerbases.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If there's one thing they could steal from LoL it would be the ability power system.

So nice to have mage type heroes who stay relevant through the whole game, unlike DoTA where they all become homogenized into the same batch of items since their skills become less and less useful late game.

Also kind of sad that it will take off from the exact same metagame location as DoTA is currently at assuming all the heroes are immediately playable. AoE super stuns and mega carry heroes. It seems unlikely that all 100+ heroes will be in from launch though. You'd hope a new game would be a bit fresher strategy wise.

Art looks great, but valve should have went a complete other way and turned this into their smash bros. Gordan freeman, Heavy Weapons Guy, and CS:Source Terrorist characters alright.

redraptor on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    After reading up on Icefrog I'm not too excited about this game. I think some of the Riot Games parts of that blog post are a little inaccurate, mostly because IceFrog never actually worked with Riot. He was interviewed and made outrageous demands, such as Full Project Control, which the blogger says he has over at Valve. The simple fact is, he never built the game. He didn't build the map, design the game play, or anything core in the MOBA genera. Most of the people who did that work for Riot or S2 now. He mainly came up with champions and system changes. I can only hope that he's not creating a Toxic Work Environment over at Valve. If he is, I hope that when this game ships they knock him down a few pegs and get some one who knows what the he'll there doing.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think any of these guys can lay particular claim to the genre itself. It started to congeal in Starcraft UMS maps before anything. More than likely some 12 year old kid who is now an accountant had the first idea.

I mean in Warcraft 3, DoTA basically won the cola wars, there was a bunch of other similar games which were a lot of fun which just died out since DoTA was well updated and had hyper competitive people playing it again and again and again.

Its unfortunate because this is like companies seeing the original Street Fighter was succesful so they remake Street Fighter, then another company is like oh we should remake Street Fighter too. But they've actually literally done it, rather than those companies go on to make Mortal Kombat or Fatal Fury.

redraptor on
    edited October 2010
    So Tycho posted a link to the Icefrogtruth blog on the front page, so if it wasn't going to get massive exposure before, it sure will now.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited October 2010
    Welp, the internet wastes no time....it's already a terrible, terrible meme:

http://truthepic.blogspot.com/2010/10/horrible-truth-about-cliff-bleszinski.html

And the (in)famous George Broussard of 3D Realms is claiming that the Valve rant is bogus:

http://twitter.com/georgeb3dr/status/27283945396

CarbonFire on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Welp, the internet wastes no time....it's already a terrible, terrible meme:

http://truthepic.blogspot.com/2010/10/horrible-truth-about-cliff-bleszinski.html

That was awesome

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is better than I had hoped for. Valve staying away from the gameplay is perfect, because that's the best part of dota. New art for all the old heroes is fine, and not many of them have names that need to be altered very much. The announcement coming along with the newest version of dota (with a new load screen!) is icing.

If Icefrog has to personally whip every poor donk on his dev team to get the game to where it needs to be then I don't care, because he's proven over the years that he knows more about what he's doing than anyone else in the genre (as far as competitive things go). All the extra drama is just that.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder if they will make multiple maps with some varied gameplay or if it will just be the one classic map. Curious to see where they are going with this.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Now I'm confused about those blog posts. How much is true, and how much is false?

Pablo the Penguin on
    edited October 2010
    Now I'm confused about those blog posts. How much is true, and how much is false?

How much actually matters in the long run? Valve hasn't been known to be a company to release something they didn't feel was quality (Well, maybe except for Ricochet) so it doesn't matter whether Icefrog is or isn't an untalented hack: I'm sure Valve will pick up the slack/fire him if he was.

They're rich enough to be choosy about these things.

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.