As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP]In the Wake of the Plague [OOC Thread]

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't realize that the blackblade was already dead. I typically read the posts of other players for fluff and dialogue, then make my tactical decisions based on the map.

I can either rework my turn, or we can just turn my attack onto the Dark Servant, as he was in range when I made it.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ugh, sorry. I was enjoying the Stout last night, probably missed something.

So, we'll say you hit the Dark Servant, who is now dead after Lilika's turn.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    How do we want to do it when I hand out saves?

Should the save-e roll them, or should I roll for them?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You should roll.

Same with powers that allow another character to do triggered melee attacks. I find this to be the best way.

Squints on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    However you guys want to do it is fine with me.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll edit in the roll.

He doesn't have any bonuses to saves vs ongoing, does he?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Not that I'm aware.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    SAAAAAAAAAVE

I'm on fire. Well, he's on fire, but I'm rolling really well.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Nice!

Chanus on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You guys kill better as me and roll better as me....this is an alarming trend. Next thing I know Lilika will start invisibly tanking for me...

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a character who frequently allows shifts, and allows melee attacks.

I find that in a PbP it goes much faster if I take these actions for the character in question.

I check first (and if anyone needs to do something for me, feel free) but I find the game moves much faster that way

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    One quick note for Vimak;

After a charge you're done. No more actions. So Stone's Endurance beforehand instead of after.

I doubt it's a huge thing now, but it might be one of these days.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll allow it this time :P

It doesn't look like it's going to change the outcome of the fight.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As an aside, chanus. Would it be terribly difficult to switch to google as your image hosting service?
    Whatever you're using now is blocked by my work's firewall. I've been remote controling my home PC and using its browser to view the map.

If it's a pain, don't worry about it, I'll keep doing what I've been.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And if you don't know how to host on Google I can tell you. It's pretty easy. :)

Squints on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sure, I can switch to Google.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Posted a Google-linked map... is it working? I dunno if AdBlock is what's making it just the no-load box for me.

Chanus on
  • Options
    OloronOloron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not seeing it here. I'm not running AdBlock, so that's not it.

Not sure, but I think you used the link to the picasa page vs. the link to the image itself.

Does this work?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_iWc_xC2ntV0/TGlN4akO1kI/AAAAAAAAADg/XT_qMBkkH6I/s720/Fairgrounds.jpg

Oloron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    the link oloron put up works.
    the one you used did not.

And thank you for being so accomodating!

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, I realized it was the wrong map anyway :P

The current link seems to be working.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Working now, beautiful
    thank you!

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Since he's done to 4 hp or so, you can probably just intimidate him into surrendering on your turn Zed.

Fondor_Yards on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Since he's done to 4 hp or so, you can probably just intimidate him into surrendering on your turn Zed.
    I'm sure my slurred speech and constant wobbling will be terrifying.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    One other question - I'm not next to my books, so I don't remember if this is a houserule.

I've usually played that the person doing the final strike on a creature can chose to make it a killing or incapacitation strike. (e.g. Wil can choose to knock the goblin down/out vs. killing him - assuming his attack hits, of course.) Basically means that if you don't need a PC with high intimidation skill to finish off someone for questioning since most PC's have an easier time hitting than intimidating. (Intimidation still has a strong place since it allows someone with high intimidation to "one-shot" an NPC at 50% of it's HP - something few PC's can do with damage.)

Can't remember if that is regulation or houserule though...

Oloron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh, by the way.

Don't forget that while you're near me you get +2 to Intimidate and +3 to Diplomacy.

I'm considering taking the feat that would make it +4 and +5 respectively. Free skill trainings for everyone seems kind of cool.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I think that's a houserule, but I like it.

I would rule that it allows you to basically stop the creature from running and fighting back for a round, but I would still want to see skill checks to get any information out of it (or to accomplish whatever other purpose you would have for not killing it outright).

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ok, then. Time to turn on the charm.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Ahh - that's cool - I hadn't seen that, Zed. What feat/skill gives the bonus to intimidate?

Oloron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    CHA is intimidate. I have +5 due to training, and various class/racial feats that could give me more.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mantle of Elation (+2 Diplomacy, Intimidate) + Half Elf (+1 Diplomacy) is what we've got going right now.

Elated Emotions would change the bonus from +2 from the mantle to my Con bonus of +4.

So everyone around me would probably actually be more diplomatic/intimidating than me if you were actually trained. Which would be pretty funny, what with my racial bonuses and insane Charisma.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Alright interrogation time. What's the plan, Aria good cop and.....well I guess everyone else bad cop?

Edit: Oh and the knocking out instead of killing at 0 hp is a normal rule if it matters.

Fondor_Yards on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It is, you have to declare before rolling. Hits that bring them to 0 HP knock them unconscious.

Are we out of initiative?

Squints on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, you guys can interrogate in whatever order you like.

Edit: And I learned something today :P

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wow - yeah, with your bonuses, Aria's got +11 to both Intimidate and Diplomacy.

Oloron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oloron wrote: »
    Wow - yeah, with your bonuses, Aria's got +11 to both Intimidate and Diplomacy.
    The unarmed apparent non-combatant is more intimidating than Wil.

Oh the appropriate irony.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I have a mighty +1 Intimidate and +2 Diplomacy with your bonus. Celgar is not a people person.

Fondor_Yards on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey, some just let their fists do the talkin'. :P

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    By the way, since the unarmed, cloth wearing one is being intimidating - though not with my terrible roll - I'm throwing some psionic-ish flavor text around things like my indimidate and diplomacy rolls.

Oloron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh - also, I'm assuming from the background information and size of the village that Aria and Wil would have a passing knowledge of each other. (village isn't all that large, and they're roughly the same age)

I'm assuming Aria doesn't know anyone else, though she could have seen Vilmak around a bit.

Oloron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I would say we're talking roughly a population of five or six thousand, so it's possible you'd know each other, but also possible you wouldn't... as it were :P

Chanus on