As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend Me D&D Music!

Mr PinkMr Pink I got catsfor youRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Monday I'm starting my very first 4th Edition campaign for Dungeons and Dragons (I DM'd a campaign in 3rd that went about three years, and have been itching ever since to do it again.) Now that we're playing in a nice location and not a basement, I thought about using some music to set the moods. It'll be piping through a very nice sound system, but the problem is, I don't know what 'it' is.

Here's where you come in! What's come good game music, preferably that can be looped. Here are the categories I have so far:

Town (shopping, town stuff, seeking prostitutes)
Exploration (caves, woods, mountains, maybe DUNGEONS?!?!)
Battle (sweet axe-swinging jams)
Boss Fight (don't you dare say One Winged Angel)

Thanks in advance!

Mr Pink on

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Black Mages have 3 albums worth of music, mostly battle/boss stuff but some town/exploration.

Apocalyptica has some good tracks as well. I'm more familiar with their earlier albums.

Hans Zimmer soundtracks also tend to make it into the roleplaying playlist. Try the Pirates soundtracks. Batman Begins has some nice dark, spooky sounding stuff as well.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One of my old DM's played some WoW music sometimes.

I'd say search through WoW music, and maybe even some of the new starcraft 2 music. Music from many games helps fill up the background and add ambiance without being distracting.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A lot of the music From Morrowind and Oblivion are good.

Possible the Witcher score or Dragno Age

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    • Age of Conan
    • Conan the Barbarian
    • Baldurs gate 1,2
    • Dragon Age: Origins
    • Diablo 2
    • Fable 1
    • Heroes of Might and Magic 4,5
    • Jade Empire*
    • KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic)
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Shadow of the Colossus
    • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines**
    • The Witcher

Almost all of these are from video games and are often used to amplify the atmosphere. They should serve you perfectly.

Just remember to go through the list and sort out the combat tracks and such, so you don't get a combat theme when you are narrating tavern shopping :).

* Jade Empire features mostly instruments from the East.
    **Note Vampire features a distinctive bass level which may or may not suit your D&D theme.

Yogo on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Witcher soundtrack essentially IS an RPG soundtrack and includes music for all occasions.

I also like the Chaos Gate music, although it might not be fitting for a fantasy setting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOXe0RfMHvo

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In addition to what has been mentioned,

Arcanum
    God of War II
    Quest for Camelot
    Two Worlds
    Guild Wars
    Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Icewind Dale soundtrack (Jeremy Soule, also did Morrowind, Oblivion, and a bunch of other stuff). It comes with the game, which if you can find it, is probably cheaper than the average CD anyway.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I did this when I was running DnD. Sountracks are some of your best sources. With boss music, I found the really intense music was great, but realise that a dnd boss battle is going to take much longer than most video game boss battles, so you'll want a variety of music.

I used to make folders with basically those categories you listed, although I separated exploration into overland and dungeon. Then I would pool tracks I got from soundtracks or whatever into the appropriate folders.

Some specifics from experience:

Black Mages is a fantastic suggestion, as are Oblivion and Morrowind. Planescape torment has some good choices, but a lot of the PST tracks are similar, so make sure to play it through and cherry pick.

The Shadow of the Colossus music is fantastic for this sort of thing, and also already suggested. Arcanum has especially great music that fits the town.

I can't find my copy of the StarCraft 2 soundtrack, but I seem to remember some good things on that if you were going to get that anyway.

Inglorius Bastards soundtrack is actually really great for this.: Green Leaves of Summer is good exploration, the Verdict and White Lightning are pretty good dungeon exploration type musics, and I think White Ligthtning could be good combat too, although it might not be up beat enough for that. Slaughter by Billy Preston is something I liked to throw into a boss fight here or there, but it has the fault of containing english lyrics so oh well. One Silver Dollar, Tiger Tank, Un Amico, and Rabbia E Tarantella are good to sort as well. If you don't mind the lyrics, Cat People by David Bowie might be one of the best boss battle songs ever devised.

Toru Takemitsu, a composer of soundtracks (in particular for the Kurosawa film Ran) could probably supply you with everything you need. A bunch of stuff by him would be great, and you could probably make a Pandora channel with his name if you needed still more.

Hope this helps!

piL on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You guys are awesome, thanks! I feel like if I use every suggestion here, I can pretty much always have fresh music ready.

Mr Pink on