As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Ruler] Indie 4x game of greatness? Signs point to yes.

• Options
    FirgofFirgof Blind Mind Studios - Co-lead Developer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will make a ship that shoots ships which use tractor beams to pull enemy ships into my bigger ship which then shoots those at their allies!
    Hahahaha. Unfortunately, you can't give enemy ships orders so even if you were able to fling them at their buddies, they wouldn't have the Ram order they'd need to hurt them.

Firgof on
    Co-Lead Developer, Blind Mind Studios
    Click here to visit our thread on Penny-Arcade
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    I will make a ship that shoots ships which use tractor beams to pull enemy ships into my bigger ships which then shoots those at their allies!

TAKE THAT!

Make a ship that shoots ships that are just one big engine that can shoot tractor beams at THE SUN and pull it into ANOTHER SUN

override367 on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Instead of flying your ships places and using up fuel, just have one incredibly well stocked ship-gun

That is just a giant gun that shoots ships.
    And name it the "Yo I heard you liked ships and guns"

Khavall on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    I will make a ship that shoots ships which use tractor beams to pull enemy ships into my bigger ships which then shoots those at their allies!

TAKE THAT!

Make a ship that shoots ships that are just one big engine that can shoot tractor beams at THE GALAXY and pull it into ANOTHER GALAXY

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    Instead of flying your ships places and using up fuel, just have one incredibly well stocked ship-gun

But then your brave ship crews have no way to ever return home

I like it

override367 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I like it

They can colonize the planets they take over. If they don't win the battle they're screwed.

It will motivate them.

And then they can build the "So we put ships and guns on your ships and guns" ship-gun to return home. And it can be like mass relays from mass effect. But guns.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know, I usually have a very strict rule to not ever buy incomplete games until they're complete, because normally it's just the publisher cutting on valuable feature time to get the title out of the gate and then patch it later because we rubes will eat a half-done game anyway.

However, after reading this thread, I think I might just break my rule for this one game. For one, the reason is a lot better than usual - you guys plain ran out of money. And for another, this game sounds [Dante]absolutely CRAZY[/Dante] and exceedingly awesome :D.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I like it

They can colonize the planets they take over. If they don't win the battle they're screwed.

It will motivate them.

I wouldn't worry about motivation.

Just make sure that the ships are full of marketers and telephone cleaners.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I like it

It will motivate them.

I wouldn't worry about motivation.

Just make sure that the ships are full of marketers and telephone cleaners.

Dude, no. What if they actually win and colonize? You'd be responsible for having started a civilization of telemarketers! Do you want something like that in your conscience?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You know, I usually have a very strict rule to not ever buy incomplete games until they're complete, because normally it's just the publisher cutting on valuable feature time to get the title out of the gate and then patch it later because we rubes will eat a half-done game anyway.

However, after reading this thread, I think I might just break my rule for this one game. For one, the reason is a lot better than usual - you guys plain ran out of money. And for another, this game sounds [Dante]absolutely CRAZY[/Dante] and exceedingly awesome .
    Thank you for the vote of confidence. We're glad that people understand our position, even if it's still a bad one currently. We will deliver the game we set out to if we have the money to make it. We just can't walk away from this project; it's one that both of us have wanted to do for a long time.

I'm frankly floored by the support we've gotten on the project so far. I hope we can pay all of your support back in due time.

Firgof on
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They won't win. They're telemarketers for crying out loud, they'll be too busy trying to call up the enemy ships to get them to sign up to their no committment high value subscription schemes.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, this looking awesome in combination with me being a whore for 4X games, means this has been pre-ordered. Being potentially incomplete means nothing to me really, as long as it's fun. I got into Mount & Blade way back when it was barebones combat and loved it. Playing and loving Minecraft right now, as well as Dwarf Fortress.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just envisioned a game of galactic billiards with blackholes stationed/created for pockets and the planets being the balls.

I would so buy this game if I had the money

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Preordering this when I get home

MrDelish on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Firgof

wait

Are you telling me you made a game where this is a reality

PBF186-Guntron_Alliance_Force.jpg

I've never ever played a 4x before ever (don't even know what it means) and now I want your game

Rent on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rent wrote: »

I've never ever played a 4x before ever (don't even know what it means)

Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Firgof

wait

Are you telling me you made a game where this is a reality

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/p...ance_Force.jpg
    When Ram gets in: Yes. Though there isn't a means to "fire" ships at other ships at the moment. You'd need to make some sort of shipbay that actually gives velocity to undocking ships (at least, more velocity than is already being imparted by the parent ship by just undocking) for that to function but I think that a modder ought to be able to do it.

Firgof on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, I am amazed Steam is giving you so much trouble, they have come off as so indie dev friendly in the past. I hate to say it, but you'd have a preorder from me already if it was on impulse or Steam, as it is though I really don't want to have to maintain accounts on 3 or more download services. So I will have to wait until release, but still, as a fan of 4x space games anyway, it wasn't like I wasn't going to end up buying it anyway.

Best of luck to you guys.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You might have answered this previously and if you did I must have missed it, but how do you build giant galaxy ships.

is it a special research project or can you adjust the scale size of any ship hull, with corresponding increases in cost and durability?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A serious question to break up all the merriment :)

Your interview mentioned Newtonian physics in the game with the exception of gravity, which will only be in game as limited. Will the be momentum? For example, let's say someone does manage to put an engine on a planet or a large asteroid and push it toward your planet. If you destroy the engine, will he object keep moving through space?

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    A serious question to break up all the merriment :)

Your interview mentioned Newtonian physics in the game with the exception of gravity, which will only be in game as limited. Will the be momentum? For example, let's say someone does manage to put an engine on a planet or a large asteroid and push it toward your planet. If you destroy the engine, will he object keep moving through space?

and will the kinetic forces of impacts and explosions have the chance to push ships/astral bodies around if the force is large enough.

like iwth the quoted example, can you shoot at the side of the de-engined planet to divert it. with appropriately large firepower of course

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes; inertial momentum is conserved as one would expect but there is no gravity in Star Ruler.

Explosions/impacts do not currently move objects around.

Firgof on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fucking awesome man.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    While Games like "Galactic Civilizations", "Space Empires" and "MOO 2:BAA" have shown that games can be awesome even with uninteresting or ridiculous names, "Sins of a Solar Empire" raised the bar in naming 4x games.

Do you feel the name "Star Ruler" can compete with things like the outrageously awesome name of "Sins of a Solar Empire"? Because that is a fucking awesome name.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    We'll secede that battle if it means we'll win the war. ;)

Firgof on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ok, so Firgof

if you had to pick the Coolest Thing in this game, what would you pick

because blowing up planets and to-scale solar systems and 50,000 lasers and carriers that carry carriers that carry carriers are basically about as awesome as you can get

but i'm hoping you pick something that you haven't told us about yet, because that'll mean that there's something cooler than all that excellent shit

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Firgof:

One question I've had for a while but never got around to asking (I've had the game pre-orded for a while and figured I'd wait till its out, but the pressure to know builds more and more as it gets closer to release) is how does ship movement work? Not technically, but actually displayed in game? Do you zoom in and out to view different levels of detail? Such as viewing in to where you can see and manuever between two planets, then steadily zooming out till you just see your fleet as a bunch of ships and all the planets, then out to where your fleet is a dot on the map and you're looking at two solar systems, etc...

Example: Sins of a Solar Empire or Distant Worlds

Or is it something more abstract where you manuever around on a high-level strategic view between individual systems and then you go to a seperate view specifically for encounters? Like you give an order to fleet A, which has a popup saying it comprises these ships (but you don't view them in detail or select them ala RTS style), to move to planet B. Then it arrives in planet B and you automatically switch to another combat/tactical view.

Example: Sword of the Stars or Master of Orion

Edit: Real time implies the first, but I wanted to ask because its perfectly possible to do the second (or even some other variant I haven't thought up) in a real time environment as well.

Also, one other question. Are units relatively mobile in combat, outside of your direct orders? Meaning do ships line up a shot then stop and fire until one side is dead and then move on, or are ships moving about in miniature dogfights or jockying for positions to bring different guns to bear (for ships that aren't exactly the mobile dogfighting type)? It isn't a game breaker, but it sure is a helluva lot more fun to watch a dynamic battle, even if harder to get working properly.

nessin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The freedom I get when building ships. I really enjoy putting crazy ideas together to see if they work and enjoy figuring out what sort of threats I'm up against and building designs to counteract those designs.

Really, ship-design is the real star of the game in my eyes at this time. I haven't played a game like it. It's like playing WarZone 2100 again for the first time. "I can make my own units? D:" in sum.

I've never played a game where I can throw ideas around like this; even when they're spectacular failures they're entertaining to build and figure out how to build. I can't wait for people to start coming up with mods for ship design. :D
    Also, one other question. Are units relatively mobile in combat, outside of your direct orders? Meaning do ships line up a shot then stop and fire until one side is dead and then move on, or are ships moving about in miniature dogfights or jockying for positions to bring different guns to bear (for ships that aren't exactly the mobile dogfighting type)? It isn't a game breaker, but it sure is a helluva lot more fun to watch a dynamic battle, even if harder to get working properly.
    That depends on the AI settings for the particular design. If you've set them to not orbit, they won't move around jockeying for a better position if both stop dead in the void. If they are told to orbit, you'll get the traditional dogfights-in-space jockeying. Most of the time ships are moving in parabolic arcs from each other or 'lancing' at this time.
    (How does the main interface work)
    The whole game takes place in a singular space, unlike SotS or MoO; it is single-space similar to SoaSE and DW.

Firgof on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that is an excellent answer

ever since SMAC, i've wanted pretty much every strategy game i play to have a workshop where you design your own shit

sir, you have sold a copy of your game.

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    shojinshojin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh and a followup question. I'm at work and can't watch the video, so is there voice acting for unit response? I need at least one approximately-Russian guy to be my fleet admiral. And as long as we're talking unnecessary things we'd like to see in games, I'd love situational voice acting. For example say you have two fleets engaged, and you order yours to attack a capital ship in the enemy fleet. It'd be great for your fleet to acknowledge the order with "shifting fire to enemy capital ship" or "bring it down!" Maybe you order your strikecraft carriers to move out of the range of fire, they respond with "forming up." Pointless, I know, and probably crazy hard to code it so the game interprets orders correctly. Still, pipe dream. But yeah, main question, VA yes/no?

I compose the music, and am Russian. If you mod the capability for this in, I will give you Russian sounding admiral voice acting.

shojin on
    This is My Empire, These Cities Among the Stars
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Don't listen to him; though he can speak Russian, he does a terribly cliche characterization.

Firgof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Firgof wrote: »
    Don't listen to him; though he can speak Russian, he does a terribly cliche characterization.

Isn't that what the people need? I think they need more "Battle cruiser operational."

shojin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Battle cruiser operational."
    You, sir, are going to get us sued. :p

Firgof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Firgof wrote: »
    "Battle cruiser operational."
    You, sir, are going to get us sued. :p

Only a little.

shojin on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While Games like "Galactic Civilizations", "Space Empires" and "MOO 2:BAA" have shown that games can be awesome even with uninteresting or ridiculous names, "Sins of a Solar Empire" raised the bar in naming 4x games.

Do you feel the name "Star Ruler" can compete with things like the outrageously awesome name of "Sins of a Solar Empire"? Because that is a fucking awesome name.

Starship Fury (Fury dependent on your CPU)?
    Captain Crunch's Celestial Conflict Command?
    the earth shaker, taker, maker, and raper?

probably a bit late for a name change now; or at least till the next expansion/

rRootagea on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can I name my capital ships?

Because I will totally name all my capital ships if I have that option

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

He mentioned earlier that you name ship types. So, if you want a uniquely named ship, you have to make it the only one of its type you make.

Buuuuuuut the possibility that that will change exists.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

No, you can't name ships, but you can make unique blueprints which each have a different name as a bit of a work around. Who wants a bunch of clones with different names anyway?

shojin on
  • Options
    LibertasLibertas Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    shojin wrote: »
    Who wants a bunch of clones with different names anyway?

Why Komrade Iosif Stalin of course.

He still won't talk to me.

Libertas on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So boughted. In a month, we'll see which of the three strategy games I'll still be playing (this, Elemental, and Civ 5)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide