As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Ruler] Indie 4x game of greatness? Signs point to yes.

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was actually talking to Khavall, but hey, you should move here too.

I'm totally turning this into a chat thread, sorry. Let's talk about your game! For example, your soundtrack: I know I threw out a couple Final Fantasy soundtracks, the Metroid Prime soundtrack, Sigur Ros and Bjork earlier, but I'm curious where you actually drew inspiration for the soundtrack tunes. Assuming you did at all and it didn't burst from your head fully formed in Athenian style.

Captain K on
  • Options
    shojinshojin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    I was actually talking to Khavall, but hey, you should move here too.

I'm totally turning this into a chat thread, sorry. Let's talk about your game! For example, your soundtrack: I know I threw out a couple Final Fantasy soundtracks, the Metroid Prime soundtrack, Sigur Ros and Bjork earlier, but I'm curious where you actually drew inspiration for the soundtrack tunes. Assuming you did at all and it didn't burst from your head fully formed in Athenian style.

Sorry about that Khavall, carry on.

My biggest influences were the Mass Effect soundtrack by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick, along with Stephen Rippy's Halo Wars soundtrack. There's also residual memories of a whole bunch of Final Fantasy soundtracks, and the Starcraft soundtrack. Other than that, I'm sure there's things in my head I'm not remembering at the moment.

shojin on
    This is My Empire, These Cities Among the Stars
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Firgof wrote: »
    Alecthar wrote: »
    What I mean is, is the framework in place to create a fair imitation of point defense if you desire, or a modder desires?

That's really fudging it. We don't know, that's getting out there. If someone wants to give a go at trying to do that, they are more than welcome to attempt to do so. We would love to see that; we're just not sure how we'd officially do it.

Ah, well, it was worth a shot.

It's just that I was a big fan of the implementation of PD in SotS, that's why I'm willing to posit nutty imitations.

Though, at least in base SotS some of it seemed pretty unbalanced. Phaser (I think it was Phaser) PD seemed like a cheat code you entered rendering you invulnerable to missles as long as you didn't mind losing small weaps. Damn things would kill all missiles every day and twice on Sunday. They shot things that just looked or sounded like missiles. One time they shot a guy who was talking about missiles. Hell, sometimes they shot shit that had no relation to missiles whatsoever, just to show that they weren't fucking around.

What I'm saying is that they were pretty good at shooting down missiles.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    In other news, IT'S TIME

The soundtrack is released! Please consider dropping me a few dollars into my paypal account. I'll be greatly appreciative.

3049178975-1.jpg

shojin on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I only listened for a bit, kept getting distracted. But I like Silver pretty well so far.

I hear Mass Effect and a bit of Halo ambiance in it so far. Which is good. Space music for a space RULER!

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm really diggin' Voyage (Rock Version).

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the kind words all. I'll be on tomorrow. Good night.

shojin on
  • Options
    FirgofFirgof Blind Mind Studios - Co-lead Developer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thinking of heading down to QuakeCon sometime this weekend.

Might see you guys around?

Firgof on
    Co-Lead Developer, Blind Mind Studios
    Click here to visit our thread on Penny-Arcade
  • Options
    niktheniknikthenik Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well this game seems more than great. I can't wait to build a ship that tractor-beams stars of death into enemies. And I shall call it Deathstar. (Yeah I read that part about not being in the game yet, but a man can dream)

Also I've got a questions:

Just out of curiosity is there a reason why you use C++ instead of, say, C#? I ask this because we learn C# in school and our teacher keeps insisting that C# is the new hot thing out there.

nikthenik on
    fullmetalnik.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Stars can't be tractored at this time; in fact, tractoring is mechanically unreliable if we put it in the game right now.

There's no reason to believe that C# is going to take over C++. C++ is more widely usable as is C.

Firgof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I caught the 69th download on my stats page. HAHAHAHAHA!
    downloadsq.jpg

THANKS GUYS!

shojin on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nikthenik wrote: »
    Well this game seems more than great. I can't wait to build a ship that tractor-beams stars of death into enemies. And I shall call it Deathstar. (Yeah I read that part about not being in the game yet, but a man can dream)

Also I've got a questions:

Just out of curiosity is there a reason why you use C++ instead of, say, C#? I ask this because we learn C# in school and our teacher keeps insisting that C# is the new hot thing out there.

Your teacher is a fucking idiot who has never used anything outside of a Windows operating system. To make anything for Mac/Linux/any console/any smartphone you would use C++ for the purposes of game development and resource heavy apps and Java/other alternatives otherwise.

theSquid on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm listening to the soundtrack right now, and I've got to give my compliments to the composer. This is really good, I like thats its nice and understated. It actually reminds me a lot of Star Trek theme songs from the varying series (minus the silly song Enterprise used).

If there is one thing space songs should be, its understated and low key. Remember, in space they can't hear you scream, but they can always hear the quiet tones of a keyboard or synth.

Great job, shojin.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    You guys should watch Aim For The Top! 2: Diebuster. Pretty much has a chainsaw planet.

Would it be this scene? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNq4S8uXas

Na it would be this scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbPwWNCK5Gk

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man the hands-on-the-fans nature of the devs is really inspiring.

Aside from that, I've been waiting to try out some solid space strategizin' and the grand scale of this looks to be sweet.

EDIT: Welp I'm a pervert

Kazaka on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »
    Man the hands-on-the-fans nature of the devs is really inspiring.

o_O

Rent on
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Show us on the doll where Firgof touched you.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    If there is one thing space songs should be, its understated and low key. Remember, in space they can't hear you scream, but they can always hear the quiet tones of a keyboard or synth.

Great job, shojin.

Thanks man.

shojin on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aiserou wrote: »
    dollwherefirgofputhisdinger.jpg

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    niktheniknikthenik Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Stars can't be tractored at this time; in fact, tractoring is mechanically unreliable if we put it in the game right now.

There's no reason to believe that C# is going to take over C++. C++ is more widely usable as is C.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo

Well but this game sounds awesome nonetheless. But unfortunately I won't be playing this until October damn Civ V.

Also amazing soundtrack as soon as I have some money left (read October) I will donate a few bucks.

nikthenik on
    fullmetalnik.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Major announcement coming up! :) Details to follow very shortly.

Firgof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Steam plz

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It ain't Steam. :(

Firgof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm still excited

Captain K on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awaiting major announcement with anticipation!

Also, this probably sounds weird, but have you guys considered GOG as a digital distribution venue? I've seen some remarkably new games on their service, and they're really good when it comes to getting the word out about new titles. They really promote the "Good" part of their name, rather than the "Old". Plus, with the sheer number of MoO nuts in their community, you'd be bound to get a good bump.

Probably unlikely, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not sure whether this has been asked are there random events and events that has a big impact on the whole galaxy?

johnwing on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Also, this probably sounds weird, but have you guys considered GOG as a digital distribution venue? I've seen some remarkably new games on their service, and they're really good when it comes to getting the word out about new titles. They really promote the "Good" part of their name, rather than the "Old". Plus, with the sheer number of MoO nuts in their community, you'd be bound to get a good bump.

I wouldn't mind seeing this game on GOG.com

There's a problem though, GOG prices all games at either $6 or $10, which is a bit below what this game's priced at.

subedii on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    subedii wrote: »

I wouldn't mind seeing this game on GOG.com

There's a problem though, GOG prices all games at either $6 or $10, which is a bit below what this game's priced at.

Crap, you're right. I completely forgot they had a cap on their prices, and I want this game to make boatloads of money so the devs get enough money that we can throw stars into spaceships that are holding planets. Ah well :(

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You may notice something new on our Buy page...

There may be more news to follow this as well.

Firgof on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Whoop. Congrats guys.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Awesome! :^:

Captain K on
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Good work!

Feel free to completely ignore this question, but is there any hope of you getting on Steam in the next month or so? I want to preorder, but if you're going to get on Steam I'd rather wait so I don't have to keep track of the extra login/worry about another digital distributor having my credit card number.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Current prospects of being on Steam before release: Unlikely to Highly Unlikely
    We can't get a game on their service if they're not talking to us. So get them talking!

GabeN@valvesoftware.com

Firgof on
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Maybe strange question but on which service do you guys earn the most money per sale? D2D or Gamersgate?

johnwing on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    We get the same amount from either distributor at this time.

Firgof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Due to popular demand, we've put up a donation link on the Buy page of our website.

For those that do donate: Thank you. May your energy be plentiful and your fuel stores never run out.

http://starruler.blind-mind.com/buy.php

Firgof on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well D2D is a plus, since I already have an account there for something, I think Titan's Quest.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm gonna hold out on pre-ordering in hopes of a steam release. However, even if it's not on Steam, I will definitely be purchasing this.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We can't get a game on their service if they're not talking to us. So get them talking!

GabeN@valvesoftware.com

Done. :mrgreen:
    Aiserou wrote: »
    dollwherefirgofputhisdinger.jpg

The best part is the choice of doll. :lol:

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

GabeN@valvesoftware.com

How about Impulse as an alternative?

I know it would compete directly against Ironclad/Stardocks Sins, but it would be nice. I'd like to keep my gaming clients to Steam/Impulse if at all possible.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand